Apple Pencil Handwritten Notes Ink Settings?

Is there any way to select the type of ink when you add a handwritten sketch to EverNote for iPad? I know you can change color and thickness, but the style of the ink is like a fountain pen, with drastic changes in thickness. I an not sure if it is my handwriting style, but it makes my notes pretty illegible. Can you choose to have a ballpoint per, or consistent thickness to your stroke?

Also, it would be nice if you could change the settings for the background dots... the' are puts narrow ruled for guiding handwritten notes or jotting down text. 

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, aukirk said:

Is there any way to select the type of ink when you add a handwritten sketch to EverNote for iPad? I know you can change color and thickness, but the style of the ink is like a fountain pen, with drastic changes in thickness. I an not sure if it is my handwriting style, but it makes my notes pretty illegible. Can you choose to have a ballpoint per, or consistent thickness to your stroke?

No, Evernote's sketch feature is quite basic

I use an external editor for sketches and handwriting; Notability on my iPad

For difference in pen/pencil style, I'd be using a drawing app like Procreate

• Level 5

First I think Penultimate is dead in the water. If you compare to other notetaking apps, it is just not playing on the same field. Development nearly does not take place, updates are few, functionality lags behind.

My personal solution is GoodNotes 5, but there are others around that perform similar.

For sketching I use other apps. Since a few weeks Tayasui Memopad 2 ranks high on my list. It has a very clean, lean interface and since ver.2 has layers that allow for much better control of what you create.

I haven't looked at Penultimate in a long time, but am a heavy user of GoodNotes 5.  However, there are definitely use cases where I want to jot down some handwritten notes in an existing EverNote Note... but the "sketch" feature makes the text barely legible (with my handwriting).

Is it just a feature of iOS that makes the strokes look like a fountain pen? 

Screenshots of the sketch feature seem to use normal pen thickness

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/213493077-How-to-add-hand-drawn-sketches-to-Evernote-on-iOS-devices

• Level 5

Just made some tests myself:

1. Evernote, direkt handwriting into a note
  2. Apple Notes, same procedure
  3. Goodnotes 5, my standard app for handwritten notes

To me it seems that with GN5, the handwriting is more legible. Up to what I’ve read about GN5, they use some optimization of the input to straighten out the script. In addition with GN5 I am mostly using the zoom window, which makes the smaller presentation neater anyhow.

Evernote and Apple Notes are pretty much the same, I just observed one difference: EN sometimes straightens lines and shapes, which Notes never seems to do. So I am not sure whether they really use the same pencil engine - or EN runs some additional stuff. 

So I think the sketching in EN is working, but can not replace a good note taking app. What I did not test is how good the OCRing of my handwriting works. With GN5 it works amazingly good, and when you export your notes, you can send the OCR with it to have it still searchable in whatever app you send it to.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, aukirk said:

am a heavy user of GoodNotes 5.  However, there are definitely use cases where I want to jot down some handwritten notes in an existing EverNote Note... but the "sketch" feature makes the text barely legible (with my handwriting).

Is it just a feature of iOS that makes the strokes look like a fountain pen? 

Screenshots of the sketch feature seem to use normal pen thickness

Could you post screenshots of a sample in GoodNotes and the same in Evernote sketch.

I'm not seeing a big enough difference that  "makes the text barely legible" 

Here are my samples from Notability and Evernote

2652C141-3575-4CF5-AD56-94AF5122CA57.thumb.jpeg.1ffde50560b96e6216221f6459cf21f6.jpegMy handwriting isn't great, but seems the same quality in both images

A6DE2024-1430-4BAC-8C6A-ECBAE1636E0F.jpeg.3c370a8f48135f213cc18d2a70a032ff.jpeg