(Archived) Initial Sesson Issues

The good:

The Universal Clipper is pretty awesome. Is there a way to always launch it on reboot?

Web synchronization is useful in some cases (but I do want login to be optional.)

Other issues:

I concur with other posters who said they do not want to log-in to use the app. I also agree that "categories" is a better name than "tags."

"Uncategorized" is missing. Without it, I can not easily find my newly created notes and add category/ies. I find that highly annoying.

When I imported from Evernote 2, via a .enx file, my category hierarchy was not preserved. This doesn't happen with an import from a .enb file. Saved Searches and Auto Categories also did not import properly (auto categories are missing, saved searches only 1 of 2 in the file imported came through). In neither case did empty categories get imported -- but I created those categories for a reason, and don't want to re-create them if I don't get around to finding info for those projects before upgrading. Flags got imported as tags that read: flag:red, etc. That's not very visually helpful, compared to a flag icon.

On import you should be able to choose if you want the imported notebook to be private or local, since you can choose

this when you create a new notebook. Defaulting to private is annoying -- as is not being able to change this later. Why not? All it means is if it goes from public to local, next sync removes the data from the server, and vice-versa next sync adds it. Maybe you're afraid this would lead to too much unnecessary sync traffic from indecisive users?

It would be better to be able to set a category to be public or local (because this avoids having redundant categories across notebooks -- in the current system, you'd need to have redundant copies of every auto category, such as web clips, or user created categories intended to be general).

I miss the type system. I liked being able to have to-do lists, contacts, shopping lists, etc. -- and also the data-type based auto categories like Images, Excel, Word, etc.

Where is backup/restore for local DBs? Is it there and I'm just not seeing it?

I very much liked the suggestion someone made in the forums of a MySql back end (actually, I think PostgreSQL would be a better choice -- so long as in either case the EverNote app took care of both installation of the back-end DB and doing back-ups and exports of the DB, including shutting down connections, etc. as needed, since many users won't know how to do that for a real DB). Sqlite is maybe a good default option, with another RDBMS as an advanced option.

Being able to easily hook into my Evernote DB via SQL tools / queries, including my own C++ or Python code, would be awesome. Even if the the ENB format were the default, and there was a "sync to rdbms" option -- that would be cool.

Sync and update server db calls are rather slow over my 256k-upstream DSL.

My initial thoughts.

- stephan

The Universal Clipper is pretty awesome. Is there a way to always launch it on reboot?

Right-click on UniClipper icon in tray, choose 'Settings...', check the ' [ ] Start automatically when Windows starts' option, press [OK].

"Uncategorized" is missing. Without it, I can not easily find my newly created notes and add category/ies.

Create a saved search called 'Uncategorized' with the following query:

-tag:*

Which means you want to select notes which has no tags assigned

When I imported from Evernote 2, via a .enx file, my category hierarchy was not preserved. This doesn't happen with an import from a .enb file. Saved Searches and Auto Categories also did not import properly (auto categories are missing, saved searches only 1 of 2 in the file imported came through). In neither case did empty categories get imported -- but I created those categories for a reason, and don't want to re-create them if I don't get around to finding info for those projects before upgrading. Flags got imported as tags that read: flag:red, etc. That's not very visually helpful, compared to a flag icon.

Yes, only enb database import provides the mopst full migraion; when you import enx files, only notes and manual categories (i.e. tags) get imported.

On import you should be able to choose if you want the imported notebook to be private or local, since you can choose

this when you create a new notebook. Defaulting to private is annoying -- as is not being able to change this later.

Currently, you can create a new local notebook right after you import the notes, and move all your notes to the notebook (go to note list or tape, select all notes there via Ctrl+A and drag-n-drop them to the target notebook).

I miss the type system. I liked being able to have to-do lists, contacts, shopping lists, etc. -- and also the data-type based auto categories like Images, Excel, Word, etc.

Look at Attributes -- these are for maching notes against their properties. More attributes / attribute types will be added with time.

Create a saved search called 'Uncategorized' with the following query:

-tag:*

Which means you want to select notes which has no tags assigned

This is ok for now, but hopefully before product release this will go back to being a default tag or attribute or even better its own top-level entry in the list. Because Web Clipper and Universal Clipper don't ask you what categories to assign, it is a pain to go find them (and finding them by attribute is much more annoying than a single "new stuff" bin).

In neither case did empty categories get imported -- but I created those categories for a reason, and don't want to re-create them if I don't get around to finding info for those projects before upgrading. Flags got imported as tags that read: flag:red, etc. That's not very visually helpful, compared to a flag icon.
Yes, only enb database import provides the mopst full migraion; when you import enx files, only notes and manual categories (i.e. tags) get imported.

What about empty categories not being imported? Will that be changed before release?

And are flags going to remain as a separate attribute w/ an icon, or be just a tag?

Currently, you can create a new local notebook right after you import the notes, and move all your notes to the notebook (go to note list or tape, select all notes there via Ctrl+A and drag-n-drop them to the target notebook).

That's ok for Beta, but hopefully this won't be the final behavior.

Look at Attributes -- these are for maching notes against their properties. More attributes / attribute types will be added with time.

This is ok, and will be better when there are more data-type based attributes. Will there be indicator icons like in EN2? I like that fast visual reminder of things that are now source and contains attributes, and also for flags.

Will there be other types of notes from EN2 such as to-do, contacts, etc.?

It's interesting in some ways that notebooks share all tags/categories -- because this facilitates having same notebooks of different security level. But, is there a way to have a notebook that has totally separate tag/category set?

Thank you.

- stephan

Archived