Can't Attach LARGE Files (Images-Videos-Emails) on EN-Win-App or EN-Web

I replied to a thread about problems syncing yesterday.  But really my issue appears to be about attaching large images, and by large I mean pixel dimensions, not file size, as pixel dimensions seems to be the culprit.  I say this as small images are attached and synced just fine.  I'm on a Win10 64bit laptop running 6.18.4.8489 (308489) Public (CE Build ce-62.3.7750)

I raised a ticket to EN-Support yesterday and got their response this morning. Step 1 of there troubleshooting advice was essentially to advise them If I experienced the same issue on the web client.

Here's the chronological order of the email back-n-forth with EN Support - sorry for the length, but if you can help, I'd appreciate it

MY REPLY 1

image.png.2864e14db88540557b2fbfca18cd765a.png

MY REPLY 2

image.png

MY REPLY 3

image.thumb.png.4d60350ed06f7f5a4e3913468ef6b747.png

THEIR REPLY 1 - including my answers given

image.png.0b14cf3ec092d2f1f5de392dd071e0df.png

image.thumb.png.fe5769253ffe07231edbb0ed3b449b99.png

Do you guys n gals have any ideas about what I should do??

PS...i'd like to attached the failed test image (817kb) but that exceeds upload limit of post..perhaps a private message will work to someone whose willing to run a test either on desktop-app or web client and see if issue is duplicated...cheers

Going From Bad to Worse...

I have the EN add-on for MS Outlook email client/app on my PC.  Short basic text-based emails go across and sync fine, but if the email is longer in height with graphics etc then it does not sync!  The add-on creates a note, i see it appear in EN desktop app...but when i attempt to sync it, after about 2 minutes of watching the sync icon spin it just finishes with the red exclamation mark, so i delete the new note-from-email...re-sync and is all is well again in the world.  And no error message given.  EN is killing me these past 2 days.

Support is trying but it seems like every email I send them in response to their reply emails is from a diff customer support person who doesn't know what i've given/provided to the last person... urrrrgggghhhh

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Running the same version of Evernote I just attached and synced a 10MB 5442 x 3628 image (240dpi) without any obvious problems.  Are all your bad experiences on the same network?  Is there a possibility of firewall / connection issues?

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

I tested, too, on a 42MB 11773 x 17503  JPG image, latest Windows release. Seems to work fine. Synced to the servers, and it shows up in the web client. Came through on Android, too, eventually (since the latest release is having some performance issues currently). I would have to say that pixel dimensions are probably not the culprit.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

To add some MacOS to the thread:

Just moved today some pictures into EN on my MacBookPro by drag and drop from the Photos app.

Among them was a panorama of appr. 13MB, all others were in the 3-8 MB range.

On this largest file I‘ve got a message that the import of such a large picture would only be possible by saving it as a file, and importing it to the note via file attachment, not by darg&drop.

However the panorama was imported, but on a reduced resolution - which was fine for me, because I did not really need the full resolution picture in my note. So it seems on a Mac there is a limit of picture size for the D&D somewhere in between 8MB and 13MB, probably at 10MB. EN will take larger files as well, so I assume it is more an OS issue than an EN restriction.

The only real limit I know about is the 200MB for a note in total.

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much guys for the feedback...greatly appreciated.  Perhaps I shouldn't be so quick then to point the finger at EN as 'the culprit' 😉

will do more test this morning, now 6.40 am Australia time... then maybe see if resetting my WiFi network has some impact plus learn if i have anything noteworthy from EN support, as they did say they were sending it up to the technical team.  But again at my end, the only thing that was done, was leaving my WiFi off all night, the night before i started experiencing issues. cheers again

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I share your experience that EN customer support can be hard to take - you post one question, and they get back to you with a series of questionnaires that would serve any senior grade informatics examen at university.

My impression is that they want to exclude that the problem is peripherical. No easy feat if you look at the many combinations of hard- and software the  app has to coexist on, especially with Windows and Android systems. Mac and iOS is much cleaner on this, I think.

Good luck !

• Haha 1

The technical support team came back to me on Friday requesting I make a video demonstrating all the issues I'm experiencing.  I did as requested, and showed my inability to upload/sync large attachments (images/videos/emails etc)... actually it's mostly just sync, as the files do upload to EN-for Windows, but simply wont sync, and no errors are generated.

The EN web client however says can't upload when i attempt to upload the same files.  Not being a techy, I wonder if its some change in my BitDefender anti-virus or network settings, as i know I'm the only one experiencing this buggy behaviour.

Still no word from tech support since Friday... so today I went the nuclear option and completely wiped EN off my system.. process i followed:

1. Signed out and exited EN for Windows
  2. Deleted Chrome EN Clipper Extension
  3. Uninstalled EN-for-Windows using REVO Uninstaller
  4. Shut Down and rebooted PC
  5. Downloaded EN install files and ran setup
  6. Logged in and let EN rebuild my database (took 2 hours for this with 4788 notes)

Result = NO CHANGE!  I still can't sync any uploads/emailed-notes or attachments that are large

The sync wheel of death just spins for 3-5 minutes each time I attempt a large upload, and then just return red-sync failure icon...and no error message.  This is super weird/strange. Anyone have any other ideas please?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, RavBoy said:

Result = NO CHANGE!  I still can't sync any uploads/emailed-notes or attachments that are large

just tried a 165 MB PDF file.  It took about four minutes, but it did sync.  May be something specific to your setup or the file(s)?

• Thanks 1

Cheers @CalS  I got a response from EN-Tech Support... They asked me to turn my BitDefender Antivirus off and try again on EN-Web.  Well I literally just did that and once again it failed (see image)

image.thumb.png.9d475ec4ed20617165d047a5079af87b.png

So next step is they have requested access to the note/my account so they can reproduce it...urrrggghhh.  We really come to appreciate how much we need it when it doesn't work 😉

Thanks for running your test as well. Yeah until 5 days ago, I too had zero issue with upload/sync.  And by the way I have latest EN version running on Windows 10 latest pC with SSD 6 core i7-9750 Intel chip with 16 GB ram ....so a very fast machine

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, RavBoy said:

So next step is they have requested access to the note/my account so they can reproduce it...urrrggghhh. 

You could put the file on DropBox or the cloud service of your choosing and share it.

Don't know if you can run EN in safe mode?  Worth a go it you could, everything extraneous should be shut down.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, CalS said:

You could put the file on DropBox or the cloud service of your choosing and share it.

Great idea, never even thought of something like that.  But for me that would sort of defeat the main benefit/feature of EN that I love, which is the 'One app/system to rule them all' when it comes to information storage/management... well kind-a.  Indeed this whole experience has led me to do a lot of feature comparison between OneNote & EverNote these past few days. And on the criteria item of uploading syncing files/attachments to a note, OneNote is so far kicking ass... esp for speed.  However OneNote has an attachment size limit of 100MB whereas EN is 200MB... so in the scenarios where I have had for example a training course video of 380MB that I want to upload, I have split the video in 2 parts then shared across 2 EN-Notes... in OneNote only 1 Note is required as OneNote has NO Note Limit. Sera sera...

3 hours ago, CalS said:

Don't know if you can run EN in safe mode?  Worth a go it you could, everything extraneous should be shut down.

...as in Windows safe Mode? or is there something special I need to do in EN?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, RavBoy said:

Great idea, never even thought of something like that.  But for me that would sort of defeat the main benefit/feature of EN that I love, which is the 'One app/system to rule them all' when it comes to information storage/management..

No, sorry, I meant as a way to get the file to EN.  Yeah, Windows safe mode.

Just now, CalS said:

I meant as a way to get the file to EN.

Oh ok...so like a 2-step sidestep thingy.  Getting the file to attach, via drag-n-drop, or when using the attach file paper-clip icon, is not the issue.  The image/video or even large graphics rich email is attached to a note no problem.  But then when I click sync (i have my system configured for manual sync), the sync wheel spins for anywhere between 3-5 minutes before ultimately returning the red exclamation syn failure notification-icon.  However small files/images etc sync just fine... so upload is not an issue.  However on EN-Web, the file-attachment will not upload at all.

I'm currently trying/running an optimize database process...but EN and Db was only installed yesterday so that's probably useless but I'm trying everything

• Level 5*
Just now, RavBoy said:

Oh ok...so like a 2-step sidestep thingy.  Getting the file to attach, via drag-n-drop, or when using the attach file paper-clip icon, is not the issue.  The image/video or even large graphics rich email is attached to a note no problem.  But then when I click sync (i have my system configured for manual sync), the sync wheel spins for anywhere between 3-5 minutes before ultimately returning the red exclamation syn failure notification-icon.  However small files/images etc sync just fine... so upload is not an issue.  However on EN-Web, the file-attachment will not upload at all.

I'm currently trying/running an optimize database process...but EN and Db was only installed yesterday so that's probably useless but I'm trying everything

Again sorry.  Referencing the requested access.

5 hours ago, RavBoy said:

So next step is they have requested access to the note/my account so they can reproduce it...urrrggghhh. 

Just saying use DropBox to get the file to EN Support so they can try and load it into one of their accounts.

1 minute ago, CalS said:

Just saying use DropBox to get the file to EN Support so they can try and load it into one of their accounts.

In the demo video of the issues I'm having, that EN Tech support requested, I showed myself searching for random images on Google, large pixel dimension images, then downloading any random large image.  So it's not any 1 specific file/attachment. It's not like one-file that I am repeatedly attempting to sync is corrupted... it's any and all Large files.

3 minutes ago, gazumped said:

...How about sending the image into the account as an email,  either to append the image to that note,  or to a separate note to be merged later?

well, i haven't tried that... but so far any large emails that are long-form and have graphics embedded, mostly fail to sync, though some do make it.

I suspect if added any of the large image-files i have tested and failed to sync, to an email 1st, that they too would also fail...but i will give it a shot

8 minutes ago, CalS said:

Referencing the requested access.

...I'm trying to get what you're suggesting as a workaround.  Are you saying leave the attachments in a separate cloud storage, then somehow create a link to it from the EN Note?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, RavBoy said:

In the demo video of the issues I'm having, that EN Tech support requested, I showed myself searching for random images on Google, large pixel dimension images, then downloading any random large image.  So it's not any 1 specific file/attachment. It's not like one-file that I am repeatedly attempting to sync is corrupted... it's any and all Large files.

But we already know that large files are demonstrably loadable into Evernote, much larger than the ones that failed for you, in fact. Must be something with your account or your computer, in which case you're better off sticking with support.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, RavBoy said:

...I'm trying to get what you're suggesting as a workaround.  Are you saying leave the attachments in a separate cloud storage, then somehow create a link to it from the EN Note?

Nope.  No workaround suggested.  Only suggestion was a different way to get the attachment with EN Support without sharing or giving access to your account.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, jefito said:

you're better off sticking with support.

😅 Thanks mate... that made me laugh, a sort of sad and miserable laugh.  It's been 5 days with Tech support, and I'm no closer to any resolution.

In fact the only reason I saw your post-notification was when i was directed to it from here... see one of the options in in the image

image.thumb.png.f304a883f778bc40f6c765fb9a342e0f.png

I was hoping to find a contact Telephone number for support and actually get on the phone to someone... but no joy, as they don't provide phone support, so that's another win for OneNote!  Chat support is my next attempt, if i can figure out the time differences.  And with respect I reckon I'm better sticking with you guys than Evernote support any day of the week as you and the other gurus have been way more helpful...but hey that's just me.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jefito said:

Must be something with your account or your computer

If it were you @jefito, how would you trouble shoot that?  Or do you know of any help articles etc re this? cheers

EDIT:  Also I just had another graphics-image rich email that I sent to EN using the EN-addon installed on my desktop MS-Outlook app. Again the new note was created just fine... but then it again failed to sync (red exclamation mark, no error message) . 

I decided to whittle this new note down, by deleting the graphic hyperlink buttons, and remove all images. Tried syncing again, and wolla, it synced!  This is the thing that confuses me as to the possible issue-source... is it EN, or My PC, or my Account!

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, RavBoy said:

If it were you @jefito, how would you trouble shoot that?  Or do you know of any help articles etc re this? cheers

I think it's pretty clear that this issue is beyond the ability of us users to figure it out, as several of us have not been able to reproduce your problem. Ergo, tech support is your best bet, as far as I can tell. Sorry.

• Level 5

@RavBoyTime zone for chat is Californian standard time. Alexa / Google / Siri, what time is it now in California ? They should know, they are living there.

So either you make the calc, or take a plane to SF or LA 😉

P.S. Have you tried the E-Mail with the picture as an attachment ?

I've mailed a picture (much smaller than yours) to myself today - it just worked when I explicitly declared it to be send as an attachment.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, eric99 said:

Do you have the same issue with evernote for Web ?

Yes... it's a similar story. When I attempt to attach a file, image/video etc, to a new or existing note on EN-Web, after some time an error message pops up saying: "Couldn't upload. Please check your network connection and Try again

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

P.S. Have you tried the E-Mail with the picture as an attachment ?

I've mailed a picture (much smaller than yours) to myself today - it just worked when I explicitly declared it to be send as an attachment.

No I haven't tried that. Will see if I can test that.  Well it's just ticked over as 7am UTC -6 time so better get chatting to Tech Support 😉 

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, RavBoy said:

Yes... it's a similar story. When I attempt to attach a file, image/video etc, to a new or existing note on EN-Web, after some time an error message pops up saying: "Couldn't upload. Please check your network connection and Try again

If the error message is anywhere in the neighborhood of the issue you might check things like VPN if you are using one or any virus tracker/malware software.  Sometimes those things get confused.  Above my pay grade as to why...

• Thanks 1

In his Search for the Truth; for his Diligent Detective Skills; and for Demonstrating Incredible & Selfless Bravery Under Fire, I award the 'You are Da Man' medal of honour at Identifying the 'True Culprit' of the Issue to @PinkElephant   Close runner-ups, honorable mentions, and much much thanks must also be given to @gazumped, @jefito, and @CalS cheers 😉 

The Culprit and Real Cause was Not EN, at-least not on its own, but indeed was/is my WiFi ISP Network!

PinkElephant 1st suggested it when I started my explorations on this forum, in this post Sync does not work properly

image.thumb.png.559733f4b632d1d82e66fc33b4f03640.png

Anyway, not much extra thought was given to his comments at the time, however an idea in the back of my mind had sprouted then, which lingered from that moment on, and that was, when I reset/unplugged the power chord from my router, night before everything went awry, the thing I did different was to leave the router disconnected/un-powered all night... where usually I just wait 5-min and reconnect.

The idea or aha moment, came at the wee hours this morning, when I was forced to use a different internet browser to access EN Online Chat Support (due to message input box not rendering on Win-Chrome browser), combined with my really dedicated EN-Tech-Support guy Nic, who had also spent hours helping me try to resolve, where he also suggested looking at my ISP as a troubleshooting item (see our email-screencaps attached). Nic at Tech Support really restored my faith in EN Support, was just an unbearable journey to get someone dedicated to the case.  I mean they make EN so damn sticky and central to what we do, what do they expect...lol

The temporary workaround solution, and suggested trouble shooting step I'd recommend to anyone with a similar issue, was/is to disconnect my PC, from my normal day-to-day router/WiFi/ISP, and instead connect to a different WiFi Network. In my case, my 4G Android Phone via a Mobile HotSpot

Result = I can now sync Large Attached files such as 100 MB Videos, large images etc... and fortunately my Mobile Phone WiFi has good speed and good data/bandwidth allocation.

I'm not a Techy but when I look at sections of @enjoybangkok activity log, compared to my own, I notice similarities, see comparisons below, so perhaps he should also try the same.

HIS EN ACTIVITY LOG

• 12:02:19 [ERROR  ] [5876] [3800] 0% Can't send HTTP request, error: INTERNET_CONNECTION_RESET
  • 12:02:19 [INFO   ] [5876] [4384] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
  • 12:02:19 [ERROR  ] [5876] [4384] * error: Could not connect to Evernote server
  • 12:02:19 [INFO   ] [5876] [4384] * elapsed time: 1m 20s

MY EN ACTIVITY LOG

• 11:17:58 [ERROR  ] [8088] [2128] 0% Can't send HTTP request, error: INTERNET_TIMEOUT
  • 11:17:58 [INFO   ] [8088] [2104] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
  • 11:17:58 [ERROR  ] [8088] [2104] * error: Could not connect to Evernote server
  • 11:17:58 [INFO   ] [8088] [2104] * elapsed time: 2m 28s

Unfortunately, and after half-a-day on the phone to my ISP Support today... no amount of factory resetting the router, changing channels or running Ping/Netstat/Trace Route Tests etc to Evernote.com, have identified or fixed the networking WiFi issue.  So I am forced to wait a further few days for them to escalate it until they do 'aye karumba'.

Will advise once i know more...cheers again

1.png

2.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Congratulations for solving this, and thanks for posting your solution.

On thought: Maybe the router itself is damaged. If it is from the ISP (mine is), maybe you can get a replacement. Otherwise you could try with another router on your fixed connection.