Full outlining in the note editor, or a new outline type of note

Guest Billy Crosbie

Idea

Guest Billy Crosbie

I was a long time user of Ecco. It had superb outlining capability. Evernote supports fixed outlining in the sense that you can indent lines to various levels to produce a hierarchy, but you cannot hide levels in the hierarchy or drill in and out on particular arms of the hierarchy.

Is it possible to add this functionality to the note editor, or to add a new type of note which is an outline note that provides this functionality? You see similar functionality in mind mapping software such as FreeMind.

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Always difficult to know what level of functionality to allow in a 'note taking' app.  I use Workflowy for outlining and Freeplane for outlining and mindmapping interchangeably with Evernote since Workflowy content easily copies and pastes into Evernote (as do direct links to WF pages) and Freeplane files can be attached to Evernote notes to be edited wherever I have access to Freeplane.  Given that both apps have extensive menu systems of their own,  I think it would complicate Evernote horrendously to have that functionality built in.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Guest Billy Crosbie said:

I was a long time user of Ecco. It had superb outlining capability.

I liked Ecco back in the day; these days I use outlining in word processing editors.

As a work-aound, use an external editor/format.  Evernote notes can hold files of any format, allowing us our choice of editors.  

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Guest Billy Crosbie said:

Is it possible to add this functionality to the note editor, or to add a new type of note which is an outline note that provides this functionality?

You are not alone in wanting this.  The general request for this is here.  You can vote your support in the upper left corner.