How to mark multiple notebooks and or tags in the sidebar (mac)

Hi,

I am just starting to use evernote with the secret weapon setup and want to select i.e. a notebook AND a tag at the same time in the sidebar. I´ve seen this done in instructions videos and it should be easy enough using the normal syntax with i.e. click + ctrl etc. Does anybody know how to do this simple procedure?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Hi. Not a Mac user,  or a Secret Weapon user but I believe the app has developed considerably since the videos were created.  The lack of any comment on your post may also mean none of our colleagues have any expertise in this area (we're a -mainly- user supported Forum).  Would it be a problem though to select the notebook and then select the tag?  If that's a process you follow often,  you could save the search for notebook:<keyword> tag:<keyword> as a shortcut.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

At the moment no idea about the multi-selection in the Mac client, and my Mac is down for the night.

Since I have established my GTD setup mainly in Things 3, I either have no experience how to set it up in EN.

There are 2 pretty good manuals (as pdfs) from the GTD David Allen website that describe in detail how to set up GTD using Evernote or using Things. They cost 10$ each, and I found it money well spend (furthermore, it is tax deductible, and who would not spend on stuff like that 😎).

The secret weapon is an adaption of GTD - I have checked it out as well, but found the original GTD less „loud“ in their marketing, and very applicable. The transfer to one’s own usecase is necessary, however.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 6/7/2019 at 1:52 AM, loaf1607 said:

I am just starting to use evernote with the secret weapon setup and want to select i.e. a notebook AND a tag at the same time in the sidebar. I´ve seen this done in instructions videos and it should be easy enough using the normal syntax with i.e. click + ctrl etc. Does anybody know how to do this simple procedure?

Sorry we missed your post for so long

Not sure what you saw in the videos
You can assign a notebook or tag by dragging the note to the sidebar, however not both at the same time

Personally, I have the sidebar minimized and don't use it for this purpose
I'm not a fan of drag and drop

I'm also not a fan of TSW
My task management is date based, using the Reminder feature
My current task list is generated by saved search 
    reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:* 
    (all reminders, exclude future dated, exclude completed

• Like 1
  • Level 5

There is a basic decision one has to take:

• Date-based task management, like described here by @DTLow
  • Situation-based task management, as described by GTD

Both work, but not necessarily in conjunction.

From my experience, date-based task management systems tend to create an overload of open tasks rapidly. This can (but not necessarily so) lead to a situation in which the sheer number of open, overdue tasks leads to skipping the system. I have started something like this several times, just for dropping out after a while again.

Thus I now prefer the situative approach, in which following GTD one collects all input and decides on the „next action“ to take. This is related to settings, like telephone, work computer, home computer, waiting for etc. And then it is worked down the list. Combined with some date control for time critical stuff, it works fine for me. The one issue not to skip is the regular review, that makes sure things are constantly revised and prioritized.

I think everybody has to find out himself what works, and what does not. This is very personal, so experience may be exchanged, but what works fine for one is not performing for the next person. So if it is TSW, then be it.

• Like 1

Thank you for all your replys! I used to have a date-based tast management system with the result of a constant backlog. I've tried the situation/priority (mosty) approach now for a few weeks and its work very well so far. My original question was really just concerning the specific way how I could select both a notebook and a tag at the same time. Afterwards I noticed that I can indeed do that on the mac. Not that I have seen so far on my android. I kind of resolved the problem by changing the setup slightly. Originally it seems TSW uses two notebooks, one for active tasks and one for finished tasks. Basicly the tags are the important feature. I simply deleted the finished tasks notebook, I then simply delete a task when its finished. Not quite as elegant but almost as practical.

Thanxs everbody!

• Level 5*
On 7/2/2019 at 2:00 PM, PinkElephant said:

From my experience, date-based task management systems tend to create an overload of open tasks rapidly.

28 minutes ago, loaf1607 said:

I used to have a date-based tast management system with the result of a constant backlog.

I'd like to find out more details on how TSW handles "overload" and "backload" better than Date Management
My impression is that TSW assigns tags Now/Soon/Later to a note
                                        Date Management assigns a due date
Both generate the same task lists

>>how I could select both a notebook and a tag at the same time. Afterwards I noticed that I can indeed do that on the mac.

Just curious on how you're doing this on a Mac

Concerning the backlog (which I meant to write) I´m not actually sure if I get more things done with this new system but I feel better :) less stressed. I mostly use the priority-setting so far,  as opposed to situation-based (all though I do mostly assign them tags as well so far). I just look at the top  tag/tags and since they are prioritized I have a lot less task in them then if I were to see my whole list. - > less stress :)

I  can select a notebook and a tag at the same time by selecting the notebook first and then pressing cmd and selecting a tag however, as far as I have seen, the fact that you have more than just the one tag selected doesnt show anywhere. Thats why I didnt notice it at first!

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, loaf1607 said:

I  can select a notebook and a tag at the same time by selecting the notebook first and then pressing cmd and selecting a tag however, as far as I have seen, the fact that you have more than just the one tag selected doesnt show anywhere.

Confirmed; for filtering notes using the command key allows selection of a notebook and tag

To make this easier, you could create a shortcut to a saved search    notebook:aaaaa tag:aaaaa

>> I mostly use the priority-setting so far,  as opposed to situation-based

I use priority tags Urgent/Important (Eisenhower Matrix)
My task list is sorted by due date, but I flag urgent/important tasks in red

I never got into the situation-based thing; I work from home, and always have access to a phone