Jump to content

iOS 13 allows two versions of same on split screen


Recommended Posts

 Now that the developer build of iOS 13 / padOS is out, I hope Evernote is working to allow split screen with different notes on iPad. EN on iOS has looong needed a way to be in a note and not lose place note hopping back and forth between notes.

Been playing around with the iOS dev build and it’s quite powerful. 

Link to post
  • Level 5*
14 minutes ago, bounce said:

Now that the developer build of iOS 13 / padOS is out

You're assuming Evernotewill develop client software for iPadOS

Link to post
  • Level 5

For me the iPad is my significantly more important iOS device than the iPhone when EN is in the focus.

However, the basic question is whether the app will be allowed / able to open 2 notes simultaneously. If yes, this would be great, not only for split mode, but to have a chance to merge at least 2 notes together in the future on an iPad.

Link to post

I agree with that. I bring up many notes via siri voice shortcuts on a three year old ipad and they stay open stacked on top of each other. The ipad definitely has the specs to handle it.

Link to post
  • Level 5

The iPad yes, up to now iOS not, and many apps neither.

With my Pro 10.5 / 512 it often feels like driving a Ferrari by putting 4 horses in front of it, sit on the roof and hope Billy the Kid is not waiting around the curb. I just hope that all the new stuff (connect external drives to the iPad, use a mouse or trackpad etc.) will not be restricted to the USB-C iPads only.

Link to post
On 6/6/2019 at 10:36 AM, DTLow said:

You're assuming Evernotewill develop client software for iPadOS

It would be a real bummer if they didn’t. But I suppose in pursuit of unifying code across operating systems it may move further down the priority list.  

Link to post
  • Level 5

Still way to go: iOS 13 will go official sometime late September, when the iPhone release pattern repeats itself. So we can all relax, wait and see.

IMHO it depends on how easy it is to implement this feature. I think Apple makes is easy enough on their side. Question is, how easy EN can work around the 1-note-at-a-time strategy so far applied on the mobile devices. 

As I say, it is wait and see.

Link to post
On 6/6/2019 at 4:36 PM, DTLow said:

You're assuming Evernotewill develop client software for iPadOS

Are you implying they will stop supporting Evernote on the iPad? Because as there will be no iOS any longer for iPad, not supporting iPadOS would mean no Evernote on iPads anymore. That would be a huge decision.

Link to post
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, gewappnet said:

Are you implying they will stop supporting Evernote on the iPad? Because as there will be no iOS any longer for iPad, not supporting iPadOS would mean no Evernote on iPads anymore. That would be a huge decision.

I should have included a 🙂 with that post.

Yes, Evernote will continue to function on iPads.  The IOS app will port to iPadOS

 

Link to post
  • 5 months later...

Sure hoping Evernote, that you will follow through with full iOS iPad support.  I’ve been a power evernote user for years.  It is simply my everything app.  It hurts to not be able to open two evernote docs on the same screen.  It hurts to not be able to drag docs from evernote to other iOS apps.  When going between various apps with the apple keyboard using “command tab”, Evernote often crashes and many times does not return to the same place in the doc.  It in some ways feels like it needs to be totally redone for iOS. 

There is still nothing like evernote, that enables searches that search my pics with OCR and also searches all of the content of my attached docs.  One Note will not do that.  

Please do whatever it takes for the app to have full functionality with the new iPad OS features.  Thanks for providing a great product!

 

Link to post
22 minutes ago, sfish said:

Sure hoping Evernote, that you will follow through with full iOS iPad support.  I’ve been a power evernote user for years.  It is simply my everything app.  It hurts to not be able to open two evernote docs on the same screen.  It hurts to not be able to drag docs from evernote to other iOS apps.  When going between various apps with the apple keyboard using “command tab”, Evernote often crashes and many times does not return to the same place in the doc.  It in some ways feels like it needs to be totally redone for iOS. 

There is still nothing like evernote, that enables searches that search my pics with OCR and also searches all of the content of my attached docs.  One Note will not do that.  

Please do whatever it takes for the app to have full functionality with the new iPad OS features.  Thanks for providing a great product!

 

While it doesn't have the two screens open at once for EN itself, you can use it in split screen and drag content to other apps. I just did it with an article I needed to share with someone via Apple Notes. Is that not working for the build that you're on? (OS build, not the EN one)

Link to post
  • Level 5

Yes, it is possible, and works well with the combination of EN and any other app. But this did already work with prior versions of iOS.

Having several „windows“ of the same app open is a new feature with iOS 13 (iPadOS 13). It works when the app is adapted to it - which are the Apple apps, plus more and more apps like GoodNotes 5 as well. You can for example open the minutes of the last meeting on the left side, and take notes of the current one on the right side. Both windows are active, and work on the apps data base, syncing in the background to iCloud.

This feature is still missing in EN - it would be very useful and would for example allow to compare or merge the content of notes on the iPad. Today this is a quite frustrating experience with opening and closing the notes, or using another app like Apple Notes as a clipboard.

  • Like 1
Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...