automatic creation of 'hyperlink'?!

I type , say, 5AM, and Evernote makes this a 'hyperlink'?!

If I want a hyperlink, I'll create one, thank you very much!

Evernote has no business assuming ANYTHING here.

BTW, how do I disable that behaviour?

Many thanks

PS: this is Evernote on IOS.

Edited by guycruls
adding a detail
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, guycruls said:

Evernote makes this a 'hyperlink'?!

You didn't indicate a device/platform, but I don't think there's a switch.

btw  I believe this is a feature of the OS.  Evernote has no assumptions.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Hello, your post is short of relevant information:

What platform / OS ?

Which client ?

What I understand is that when you simply type some letters, EN will automatically create a hyperlink. What I do not understand: Where do you type it ? Inside of a note ? Outside of a note, having selected one ? Is a hyperlink (where-to / where-from ?) introduced at the place you have typed, or created and presented in a pop-up-window ?

To me it seems there is a sort of an automation running in the background, maybe from the OS, maybe from an app offering shortcuts. 

I assume you are talking about iOS, where a "feature" of Evernote is to turn dates and strings of numbers into clickable objects. But it doesn't work very well - as you can see below. This shows a snippet from a log I keep of my BP and HR, and Evernote thinks the date and first half of my BP are a phone number.

I believe Evernote is using iOS to figure out what to turn into a link. But there are plenty of iOS text editors that do not do this, so it could be turned off, but Evernote doesn't choose to do that, or allow the user to specify not to do this.

It seems to me there are 3 things wrong here - its guess as to what is a phone number is wrong, it colors the not-phone number bright blue making a page full of not-numbers quite ugly, and since this is inside a code block, I would think all formatting would be turned off anyway.

E8D4628B-6A1D-485F-B88E-F53BB71323B8.thumb.jpg.752e538279d18c5fa4d2189689729fad.jpg

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, guycruls said:

I type , say, 5AM, and Evernote makes this a 'hyperlink'?!

Hey guys, if this is on an iOS device, then this feature is NOT provided by Evernote. It is provided by Apple in all iOS apps.

To confirm, try typing the same thing in the Apple iOS Notes app.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Hey guys, if this is on an iOS device, then this feature is NOT provided by Evernote. It is provided by Apple in all iOS apps.

To confirm, try typing the same thing in the Apple iOS Notes app.

Well, Apple provides the ability to access this "feature", but plenty of apps, including many text editors, don't use it. So responsibility is on Evernote if it doesn't function properly since they choose to use it anyway.

On 6/3/2019 at 12:37 PM, ObviousBob said:

Well, Apple provides the ability to access this "feature", but plenty of apps, including many text editors, don't use it. So responsibility is on Evernote if it doesn't function properly since they choose to use it anyway.

If this is helpful, please note that Evernote is currently undergoing some renovations to the note editor experience. See:

Behind the Scenes: Redesigning the Note Editor in Evernote

So, there are changes coming that may make auto-linking behavior independently of Apple's iOS editor.