Annotate causes image storage (file) size to inflate

Hi,

I think this is a windows problem. But the image capture started on Android, so I've included that info too.

• EN 8.9.1 on Android 9 on Pixel 2 XL.
  • EN 6.17.7.8474 (308474) Public (CE Build ce-62.1.7539) on Win 7

To reproduce:

1. EN for Android: Use the plus icon to create an new image note. Capture 1 image, include a few lines of text if you like.
  2. After sync, the note size reported by EN for Windows is 923 KB
  3. Using EN for Windows, right click the image and rotate counter-clockwise. The note size is now 1.1 MB.
  4. Using EN for Windows, right click the image and choose Annotate.
  5. Using Annotate tool, crop the image to about 50% of it's original size. Apply the changes. On the menu, pick Save and Exit to return to EN for Win.
  6. The note size reported by EN for Windows is now 2.4 MB!

I definitely recall this being a problem in the Windows client several years ago, but I've searched the discussion forums and can't find any mention of it.

Is this a known issue?

Time & mood permitting, will open a ticket...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

I remember this being a known issue,  but as you say,  nothing recently - maybe we're all just using different tools to rotate images!

The rotate tools -- if they're the ones found in the right-click menu -- are part of Evernote, so they'd be the same for everyone. Size increases on in-built tools might result from losing existing compression when expanding for rotation, and then not decompressing before saving it back (or decompressing at a lower rate). Would need a lot more details about before/after image statistics to get a handle on what's happening under the hood...

• Like 1