EvernoteSpotlight wants to use your confidential information stored in "Evernote" in your keychain

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, tuqqer said:

and Import the database file. 

Skip this step; you will end up with a duplicate set of notes

When you login, Evernote rebuilds your database from the servers (except for local notebooks)

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, MegTufano said:

Whoa! That seems a lot of work to me...why isn’t Evernote fixing this from their end. (It is a somewhat alarming notification...)

?

Fixed - see  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/120059-evernotespotlight-wants-to-use-your-confidential-information-stored-in-evernote-in-your-keychain/?do=findComment&comment=540293

5 hours ago, Nick L. said:

We've released Evernote for Mac 7.11 Beta 1 with the fix for this problem. If anyone wants to try it, please see the link below and let me know if you continue to run into this problem.

Thanks Nick.L.  But, I'm not keen on being a guinea pig, so I'm waiting for others to verify, and subsequent release of 7.11 Final.

Speaking of which, how long will it be in Beta?  ie. When should we expect 7.11 Final Release?

Also, if we take the leap of faith and install 7.11 Beta 1 from your link, will it automatically update with subsequent Beta's, and then the Final release?

@GregZone This beta update is strictly focused in bug fixes and is not introducing anything new so it's relatively stable, but I understand your concerns. We normally have a beta version build out for 1-2 weeks depending on the feedback we receive from it. If you install 7.11 beta 1, you will be notified to receive the general availability update when released. 

• Level 5

You will probably be better off to switch to direct install entirely. This is at least my experience.

I had problems on my Mac that were only solved by switching to the direct download version, with the same (!) version number as on the App Store. This was 2 month ago. Since I have used the direct download,  no problems at all.

39 minutes ago, Nick L. said:

@GregZone This beta update is strictly focused in bug fixes and is not introducing anything new so it's relatively stable, but I understand your concerns. We normally have a beta version build out for 1-2 weeks depending on the feedback we receive from it. If you install 7.11 beta 1, you will be notified to receive the general availability update when released. 

Thanks @Nick L.  I've now downloaded and installed 7.11 beta 1.  Looking good so far.  🙂  I'll report back if any issues, or if the dialog box is seen again.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

You will probably be better off to switch to direct install entirely. This is at least my experience.

I had problems on my Mac that were only solved by switching to the direct download version, with the same (!) version number as on the App Store. This was 2 month ago. Since I have used the direct download,  no problems at all.

Thank you, I'll consider that...

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, igo4mtns said:

The popup issue continues and it has been almost a month since "working on it" was uttered.

Any chance we're going to see a solution sometime soon?

Thank you.

Solution with this version.  See https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/120059-evernotespotlight-wants-to-use-your-confidential-information-stored-in-evernote-in-your-keychain/?do=findComment&comment=540293

I have been getting this same pop-up every day!  It is truly annoying.  It was working just fine for me before this.  It is just a simple note taking, reminder, task, tool, that works well because of this.  I don't understand why apps keep having to 'improve' the simplicity of their apps, which ends up making it more buggy and slow at the end of the day, and of course more complicated.  I like evernote because of the simplicity, and don't want to 'upgrade' to a newer version, for fear of complications.  Dropbox just did the same thing and made it completely complicated and unusable.  Please let me keep my old bug-free evernote.

• Level 5

I think it is because the environment for the apps is changing (like the OSes they are working in, new user habits like the mobiles a few years ago, and today the voice assistants) that forces change.

To keep the (G)UI simple while including all this into your ecosystem can be a feat.

• Level 5

Keychain prompt is gone for me too but 7.11 has crashed a few times for me while editing notes (pasting images) with an endless spinning beachball. Haven't had that happen for a while so will need to keep an eye on it.

11 hours ago, cameronreilly said:

I've installed 7.11 beta 1 and the pop up has gone but EvernoteSpotlight is still crashing constantly. 

Update: EvernoteSpotlight crashing constantly, and the app itself ended up not responding. 

• Level 5

Had that thing showing up today for the first time. I am not on the beta.

Clicked on "Deny", came back, clicked on "Deny" a second time, it went away. Did not come back until now, EN client is working normally.

So better this beta gets solid and released soon !

Hey Nick L. I'm also getting this popup too about "Evernote Spotlight wants to use your confidential information stored in "Evernote" in your keychain.". I don't want to click "Allow" unless I know what the software is doing exactly with my confidential information. Can you post a Privacy Policy or explanation from Evernote that lets us users know exactly the ramifications of allowing this?

• Level 5
16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The update to Mac-client 7.11 contains that fix, and can be officially downloaded since of today (not a beta any more).

It is for sure on the EN website (I’ve downloaded and installed it from there this morning) , and it should as well be on the App Store.

Yes !

Just install 7.11 (I personally recommend doing it from Evernote directly, but App Store is an option as well), restart, and you should be done with this bug.

On 6/17/2019 at 10:27 AM, Nick L. said:

We've released Evernote for Mac 7.11 Beta 1 with the fix for this problem. If anyone wants to try it, please see the link below and let me know if you continue to run into this problem.

I installed it, and so far so good. 

• Thanks 1

This just happened to me this morning for no discernible reason. Literally, MacBook Pro just slept through the night, then after waking this morning, I started getting the prompt. I have auto-updates turned off, so from my end it appears absolutely nothing changed. Also, I was not able to clear the prompt with "Allow" or "Always Allow" it just kept reappearing.

Applied the fix via Terminal and it seems to have worked.

DON'T DO THIS ON YOUR MAC:

For those who are still running into this problem, please try the following: 

1. Open the Terminal app

2. Paste the command codesign -vvvv /Applications/Evernote.app

3. Press return.

Please let me know if this fixes the problem, or if it reports anything not signed properly. If successful you'll see these last two lines

/Applications/Evernote.app: valid on disk

/Applications/Evernote.app: satisfies its Designated Requirement

IT BREAKS ALL YOUR CREDENTIALS AND CAUSES MORE PROBLEMS.

FYI, I've established the issue only happens for me when I plug my adapter back into the computer after having it removed for a while. I am still on 7.10, though.

Same problem just started today for me.  It looks like evernote has had this problem for a month and it's spreading.   How can they not fix this after a month of complaints.  Not good!

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, BarrySF said:

How can they not fix this after a month of complaints.  Not good!

Are you using the current software version?  

• Level 5

If you are o.k. with clicking the box away, fine.

If you look at it from the EN side, they will feel the problem was solved completely. No more support tickets popping up ...

So if you want to get this resolved anytime in the future, you should think about placing a new support ticket, including the information that you are on 7.11., and it is still there.

This forum is user driven and will not replace the support process.

Hi, 

Just wanted to provide some clarity around this issue. Evernote 7.11 contains the fix for this, and is now available in the Mac App Store and direct download. All users I've worked with running into this issue reported 7.11 fixing it, so I'm interested in knowing why @SpyvsSpy is still seeing it.

Please file a support ticket here if you're still seeing the problem after updating to 7.11.

• Thanks 1

I was having the issue for a week, never updated to 7.11 and the issue just suddenly stopped after I posted my post above that said  "FYI, I've established the issue only happens for me when I plug my adapter back into the computer after having it removed for a while."

Kinda strange that the issue just magically fixed itself/stopped after I posted that and it hasn't happened since....and I'm still on 7.10.

• Level 5

Maybe you should post more often ...

In my case, the weird spotlight-thing did not occur for a long time. It came out of blue sky, I did not have my MBP unplugged or something before. And it appeared just once, not each time I started EN after.

7.11. got available shortly after, so I upgraded, and that is it.

IMHO there is really no reason not to upgrade, it is running stable since.

• Like 1

I am having this issue as well. I just looked at the "About Evernote" info in the app on my iMac and it indicates that I'm running version 7.10 from the App store.

When I look at the App store for a new version, it looks as if I've already upgraded, so doesn't offer an option to do so. And in the App store, the current version is listed as 7.11.

• Level 5

@Lynnied That's a problem I run into with other apps too. I think it's a general MAS bug or somehow Apple delaying/staging updates. The quick fix is to drag the Evernote.app to the Trash, empty the trash, and then go back to the App Store and download again. It will give you the latest version.

• Level 5

My suggestion is to install it directly from the EN website.

It is the same program, but when installed from the App Store it will run somewhat restricted. I had some problems initially, which were solved after uninstalling the App Store version and reinstalling from the website.

Make sure you have fully synced before uninstall. If you have „local“ notebooks, see that you have an actual Time Machine Backup as well, because these notebooks will not sync to the server.

13 hours ago, ZodL said:

I was having the issue for a week, never updated to 7.11 and the issue just suddenly stopped after I posted my post above that said  "FYI, I've established the issue only happens for me when I plug my adapter back into the computer after having it removed for a while."

Kinda strange that the issue just magically fixed itself/stopped after I posted that and it hasn't happened since....and I'm still on 7.10.

AND...now it's back suddenly after plugging my power cord back in.

20 hours ago, Nick L. said:

Hi, 

Just wanted to provide some clarity around this issue. Evernote 7.11 contains the fix for this, and is now available in the Mac App Store and direct download. All users I've worked with running into this issue reported 7.11 fixing it, so I'm interested in knowing why @SpyvsSpy is still seeing it.

Please file a support ticket here if you're still seeing the problem after updating to 7.11.

I've installed 7.11 and I'm still getting the error. Had it 5 times in the last 90 seconds, in fact. I lodged a support ticket and they weren't able to help me. 

This was ridiculously annoying. It was happening every day multiple times  interrupting my workflow. I just installed the update, but then Evernote wouldn't load at all, so I had to restart my Mac. Thankfully, I didn't see the issue upon restart, but will report back if it comes back into my life. Thanks for the fix! 

Edited by JTSanders
On 6/27/2019 at 4:50 AM, cameronreilly said:

I've installed 7.11 and I'm still getting the error. Had it 5 times in the last 90 seconds, in fact. I lodged a support ticket and they weren't able to help me. 

Please try a clean install of Evernote for Mac and let me know if you continue to see the issue. I've scanned through a few hundred tickets and only have you and another user reporting this after 7.11

**I recommend you export any local notebooks and unsynced notes as a backup because they have not been synced to our server and will be unrecoverable after this procedure. For detailed instructions on exporting your notes, [click here](https://help.evernote.com/hc/articles/209005557).**

Then follow these steps:

1. If Evernote is running, press **Command + Q** to quit the Evernote application
2. Download App Cleaner from the [App Cleaner website](http://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/)
3. When the download is complete: open the zip file, then open the App Cleaner app
4. Open the ‘Applications’ folder in your Finder and drag Evernote to the App Cleaner window
5. After App Cleaner searches for and lists all related files, click **Remove**
6. Download and install Evernote for Mac from the [Evernote website](https://evernote.com/download/)
7. Drag the Evernote icon into your ‘Applications’ folder
8. Open Evernote and log in to your Evernote account

Looking forward to your reply.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
8 minutes ago, everrav said:

plus one on this problem

Does this mean you implemented the fixes and are still experiencing the issue?

On 7/1/2019 at 11:24 AM, cameronreilly said:

Nick, I wanted to confirm that this seems to have resolved the issue, thanks. I've been up and running again for 24 hours with no error message pop-ups. Appreciate your instructions. 

Sorry Nick. The Spotlight error has started again. I'm getting it constantly. 

• Level 5

Just to be sure:

Did you do a complete uninstall of the EN app, and reinstalled it ? Maybe use something like AppCleaner-app to really catch all files.
(When doing so, save your local notebooks, they will not sync and thus can get lost on a complete uninstall)

A second thought: Did this happen when reconnecting a power source ? There are hints in this thread that the spotlight popup might be related to separate and reconnect the AC current.

Yes - I did a complete clean, followed Nick's above instructions to the letter. The error first appeared today when I plugged it int, and then multiple times later in the day after I unplugged it and worked from battery. 

• Level 5

O.K., no idea then.I had the keychain box pop up only once, pretty late compared to others, and they just threw the update on me shortly after. Since, no more problems.

Probably the fastest approach for you is to contact Nick directly via direct mail, using the DM function here at the forum.

I'm getting "Evernote Spotlight quit unexpectedly" - it appeared four or five times this morning, one after another. Evernote wasn't open. I've now opened Evernote, and the alert hasn't yet come up again.

Over the past few days, I've been getting "Evernote Spotlight quit unexpectedly" pretty much every morning. 7.1.1 was installed a few days ago, and since that was installed I haven't had the "use your confidential information" alert.

I'm not entirely sure if that should be a new thread, or if I should tag on at the end of this one.

On 6/17/2019 at 6:36 PM, tuqqer said:

I completely fixed this issue plus the spinning wheels by: 

1. Highlight All Notes, choose File: Export Notes... and creating a backup of the entire database. 

2. Using the freeware AppCleaner (https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/), I completely deleted all files associated with Evernote. 

3. Download a fresh copy of Evernote (I'm running Mac OS X 10.14.5), and Import the database file. 

Did this a couple weeks ago, and no more spinning wheels and no more request to Keychain sign-in. 

I have this very annoying issue as well (Mojave, latest EN, 1 premium account)

The solution of Tuqqer is not feasible for me : 19.000+ notes exporting and importing again is not an option.

Couldn't I just delete all Evernote stuff, including data, re-install and re-sync ?
Would this work/help ?

But I am also wondering : Evernote states they can reproduce the problem, but 2 months later still no start of a solution ?

• Level 5

@vandevyver What issue do you have ?

The thread started with the „keychain“ notification, now it is the „unexpected spotlight quit“.

The keychain-issue seems to be solved by updating to 7.11., with a complete reinstall.

If you have no local notebooks, that are not synced up to the server, you can make a final sync, run the reinstall through a complete delete, installing 7.11, get into your account and have it sync with the cloud server. Depending on your data base size and internet connection, this may take a while.

Nick L. from EN (he is staff, not a user like us) posted a very good description of all the steps above. 

If you have local notebooks, you can either set them to non-local and have them synced, or you have to take care of them yourself.

If you have the „unexpected quit“, there is currently no solution. As soon as there is, it will probably be posted here. If you mark Nicks account to be followed by yours, you will get the info pushed at you on release.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, worddrawing said:

I am having the same problem. Have been for the last few days on Macbook Pro. EN version 7.10.

Did you see the post above informing us the issue was fixed in v7.11

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, tessvis said:

i keep hitting deny and it stop for a few days then back again.

Did you try upgrading to the latest version that supposedly fixes the problem 

24 minutes ago, MJSAUS said:

Unfortunately this has started happening again for me. It stopped for a couple of weeks after I downloaded the update, but started again on Friday.

I’ve moved on to OneNote, at least for the time being. A decision that was pretty much triggered by this issue.

Sorry to hear about your problems with evernote. 

We use macbooks and the problem finally stopped after one of the evernote updates.    It was a real pain when it was going on and I was close to removing Evernote from my laptops and just use the web browser only.

Barry

PS   I've been watching the new behind the scenes youtube videos by  Ian Small, the new CEO and loving them.   I'm excited about the changes coming in Evernote and the progress on fixing the bugs.

Phil Lebon

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

To solve this (at least this worked for many here) you have to make a complete uninstall of the old version from your Mac. Before uninstalling, you should be sure you have synced all notes with the server. If you have local notebooks, you have to save these yourself. After uninstalling, all local data of EN will be gone !

To do the full uninstall, I have used the app AppCleaner, and selected every bit of data from EN in the AppCleaner selection window.

After it was uninstalled, I made the new installation, using the version directly from EN - not from the Mac App Store. 

And then the new client will download the complete note database from the server, which may take a while.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/10/2019 at 10:43 AM, PinkElephant said:

To solve this (at least this worked for many here) you have to make a complete uninstall of the old version from your Mac. Before uninstalling, you should be sure you have synced all notes with the server. If you have local notebooks, you have to save these yourself. After uninstalling, all local data of EN will be gone !

To do the full uninstall, I have used the app AppCleaner, and selected every bit of data from EN in the AppCleaner selection window.

After it was uninstalled, I made the new installation, using the version directly from EN - not from the Mac App Store. 

And then the new client will download the complete note database from the server, which may take a while.

That does not actually work.  It may make the problem go away _briefly_, but I've done this on a couple machines and the problem has returned on both of them.  I'm seriously debating migrating off of EverNote and cancelling my subscription given the complete and total lack of progress on fixing this issue. 

• Level 5

EN support says: They are working on it.

Probably they are busy to prepare for Catalina as well, especially since this beta phase did not work well on the side of Apple. The new iCloud functions were withdrawn from the final release on short notice, which probably messes up things for developers when they had any of this in their software (just guessing).

• 2 weeks later...

After panic-mode, found a topic of sudden problems reported back in May.  I followed the advice of Nick L. I gave my Admin password and clicked the sync circles. I felt dread when when I  saw 2011 items reappear, but…in 20 minutes, this old lady felt as if magic had worked and life is back with all 19,000+ notes are back in place. No thanks to Safari's upgrade or whatever, but life goes on happily. Thank you Nick!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm experiencing the same issue. MacBook Pro, High Sierra v.10.13.6

I've been experiencing this for over a year now and have tried all the fixes suggested in this thread. At this point I'm ready to move onto another platform.

@EverNote No bug should persist for this long, especially one experienced by so many users. Get your act together and fix this problem.

• 4 weeks later...