• Level 5

The windows (and Mac) version uses its own local database for searches and the like. Mobile and web trust the cloud database. Therefore search results may differ. If the search goes bad on the desktop, it may be that the local database got damaged somehow.

Chances are that just the Index got corrupted. You can reach additional database fixing options when you press and hold the „alt“ / option key before clicking on the help menu. Some of them will rebuild aspects of the local database.

Just take your time when doing this, and after starting one of the options wait until it has run through. Then check the results, and decide whether to go further or not. The deeper you dive, the more additional damage can be done.

A more radical approach would be to delete the local database, and rebuild it from the web. For me the reindexing worked, and found a few notes with bad properties to fix as well.

• Level 5

I am not on my PC currently, so I can’t send you a screenshot.

Typically, when you click with the mouse on the help menu, it is pretty short. Close it again.

Then press and hold the alt/option key on your keyboard, and while the key is still down, click again on the help menu. You should now see more options that appear below a little separator line in the menu box. Some of theses additional options perform rebuild functions on the local database.

In general, the deeper down the list you go, the „stronger“ gets the reorg, and the more danger is in this. I have used the first 2 or 3 and have had my search issues fixed.

To check on progress, I had my databases synced before, and then did the same searches on PC and iPad. PC is on local, iPad is on web by default. When both agree on several searches in what they find, the database on the PC and in the web should be harmonized again.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, charley.rich@gartner.com said:

Search returns too many results, most of which don't match the search.  I am on the latest version of Evernote for Windows.  

Search works fine for me in the latest Windows release -- what kinds of search are you doing that are failing? Are there any that work properly?

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, charley.rich@gartner.com said:

I am searching for text in the title or body of a note. I get some results which match and many more where there is no match. 

Can you give us specific examples, maybe a screenshot

• Level 5*
On 5/18/2019 at 7:54 PM, charley.rich@gartner.com said:

I am searching for text in the title or body of a note. I get some results which match and many more where there is no match. 

It really, really helps to be specific. 

Beyond that, do the notes that don't match have OCR text (i.e., an image with text in it)?

• Level 5*

So, in the Evernote for Windows application, a search for Relic will return notes that contain words beginning with "relic" in note body, note title, and tags, matched in a non-case-sensitive way. So that search will match,"Relic", "relic", "relict", etc. in any of the note body, title or tags.of your notes. It won't match "derelict", though. Since you've already mentioned note body and title, you should check to see if it's matching in the tags. You should also see whether enclosing yoru search term in double quotes (e.g. "relic") makes a difference.

Beyond that, I'd suggest that you take a note that you think shouldn't match, and export it to Evernote format (.emnl), and then load it up i a text editor (e.g. Notepad), and look for "relic" there.

Otherwise, this is mysterious to me...