Option to focus automatically on new notes

Hi all,

I am adding quite a few documents as PDFs which I scan upfront ( Scan Snap Scanner from Fujitsu )

Once they appear in Evernote I need to add tags ( taxes, holidays etc ) which means I need to select them manually everytime I add / scan a new document.

What I would like to have is a setting that Evernote has a ( selectable ) option to focus automatically on new notes.

this would make my workflow much easier :

1. I scan my document with my scanner
  2. convert to PDF andi mport to Evernote
  3. Evernote has automatically selected my latest note and I can easily add my tags

So far this not happening and I had already tagged the wrong notes as I didn't see Evernote still focussed on the older one.

Does anyone know if this is already possible or any concerns why this would not be a great idea ?

Many thx already

Uwe

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Uwe_K said:

What I would like to have is a setting that Evernote has a ( selectable ) option to focus automatically on new notes.

Do you have an identification method for  "new notes"?

New notes are sent to my default notebook (@Inbox).  
I usually view All Notes, but can switch to @Inbox, so only new notes are listed.

Notes are listed in modification date sequence; new notes are at the top.

• Level 5*

Hi.  I include my main 'tags' in the title of my notes,  and I get them there by scanning to folder on my Desktop and editing the file name as part of that process.  Once assembled in one folder,  and named appropriately,  my files get batch-imported to Evernote via an Import Folder.  By that stage they're 99.9% documented and just waiting for further action.

Alternatively you could just sort your notes by Created Date to get the most recent ones,  or search created:day to find all the notes created today.  (Strictly speaking that will find notes created on or after today,  so if you alter the created date on your notes to future dates,  you could use created:day -created:day+1 to limit the search to 1 day)

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

Do you have an identification method for  "new notes"?

sorry not precise .. "new notes" should say "last added notes"

I know I can sort the notes and have the latest display at the top of the list.

My point is the have them ( the new notes ) automatically selected, so I can simply do Strg-Alt-T to add my tag and do not need to select it first with the mouse 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Uwe_K said:

I can simply do Strg-Alt-T to add my tag and do not need to select it first with the mouse 

As you appreciate that's not possible within Evernote at present.  Given that not every user needs to have their latest notes pre-selected for further action,  I'd question whether it is cost effective for Evernote to add as a feature.  The add-in app Filterize might be of help to you - it can parse notes on a variety of parameters,  like my search suggestion above,  and apply tags or take other action automatically.  Or,  as a further suggestion,  maybe it would be more practical to save your notes to an 'in progress' notebook where they're immediately identifiable and taggable - though they'd still require selection first,  and a subsequent move to their permanent home notebook.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, MatS14 said:

Question >> What is Strg? I have never heard of that.

Ctrl key on English Keyboards            Ctrl + Alt + T       Assign a new tag.

English: Control

German: Steuerung

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Uwe_K said:

Hi all,

I am adding quite a few documents as PDFs which I scan upfront ( Scan Snap Scanner from Fujitsu )

Once they appear in Evernote I need to add tags ( taxes, holidays etc ) which means I need to select them manually everytime I add / scan a new document.

this would make my workflow much easier :

1. I scan my document with my scanner
  2. convert to PDF andi mport to Evernote
  3. Evernote has automatically selected my latest note and I can easily add my tags

So far this not happening and I had already tagged the wrong notes as I didn't see Evernote still focussed on the older one.

Does anyone know if this is already possible or any concerns why this would not be a great idea ?

Many thx already

Uwe

If you use an import folder (found at Tools - Import Folders) you should be able to select the target notebook and only see notes you have scanned.  Then tag them and move to the notebook of choice. This is the method I use with my ScanSnap.

If you tag every note, you can use the search -tag:* to find any notes without tags.

• Level 5*

As others have suggested, I just scan everything into Inbox, my default notebook.  Selecting that notebook then only shows the new items that need processing.  They do not initially show  as all selected but Ctrl-A (Windows) will quickly select them all and you can tag or move the group as needed.

thx all for your comments .. 

Conclusion for me is that  I should change my approach of working with ScanSnap and Evernote,  there seems to be better ways of doings things than I did so far.

Many thx for the suggestions.

• Like 1
On 5/10/2019 at 9:27 AM, DTLow said:

Ctrl key on English Keyboards            Ctrl + Alt + T       Assign a new tag.

English: Control

German: Steuerung

Ok, thank you.

• Thanks 1