Images can't be selected / won't resize

bgolden126

Idea

In the Windows desktop, iOS, and web app versions of Evernote, I cannot select or resize images in my notes. In all 3 of those cases, images do not have the functionality referenced in this help article. Normally I copy images into my notes, but I also cannot manipulate images that I have upload from my computer or phone either. It's a real pain having images take up the whole screen when they're really intended to be only a small addition between lines of text. Seems like a glaring issue.

Is anyone else having problems selecting / resizing images?

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I see it working in the latest Evernote for Windows application (6.18.4.8489 (308489) Public (CE Build ce-62.3.7750)), as described in the linked article (though the resize handle is a square, not a circle):

How to resize images

Resize images in Evernote for Mac

MAC AND WINDOWS

1. Tap an image inside a note until you see a blue border around it. If you see a blue circular handle at the bottom-right corner of the border, the image can be resized.
  2. Select the circular handle and drag towards or away from center of the image to resize it. Images can only be as large as their original size or the width of the note, whichever is larger.

The article does seem to leave open a possibility that some images cannot be resized, but I don't know what the criteria would be. The fallback for me, in that case would be to right-click on the image and select "Open with" and select your favorite paint program, resize it there, and save it.

Some of my notes have images that cannot be resized. Instead of being able to grab the corners I get a magnifying glass. Very inconsistent. Behavior. Also having lots of issues with images not being able to be edited and saved when opening externally in preview. It used to work fine. :-(

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, wahlink@hotmail.com said:

Some of my notes have images that cannot be resized. Instead of being able to grab the corners I get a magnifying glass.

What OS? Windows? Mac? etc.   In Windows, when I click on an image that's not also a link, I get a magnifying class with a '+' in it when hovering over the image, and a small blue resize marker at the lower right corner.  

What's the difference between the images that you can select/resize and the ones with the magnifying glass? E.g., did you copy/paste them in yourself or were they in a web page clipped by the web clipper?

10 hours ago, wahlink@hotmail.com said:

Also having lots of issues with images not being able to be edited and saved when opening externally in preview. It used to work fine. 😞

What kind of issues? What do you mean by "opening externally in preview"? If I can select it, then I can open it in an external image editor, make changes, and save it back.

I can get a pretty consistent (bad) behavior.

If I drag a image from a webpage to evernote. I can view the image in the evernote, but I cannot resize it.

However, if I drag the same image to my desktop which save the image as an jpeg file, then I drag the jpeg file to evernote (web/mac/windows). I can resize the image.

I think if you just drag the image from website, you are not save the image to evernote, you just save a link(I guess) to the note. So you only view but not edit(i.e. resize)

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Opzetto said:

I think if you just drag the image from website, you are not save the image to evernote, you just save a link(I guess) to the note. So you only view but not edit(i.e. resize)

Dunno. I just tried it with the WIndows Evernote application, and it came in fine, resizable and editable. Maybe it depends on the image and how it's embedded in the web page. If you have an example of something that doesn't work fro you, post it, and we'll see whether we can replicate it.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:32 AM, jefito said:

Dunno. I just tried it with the WIndows Evernote application, and it came in fine, resizable and editable. Maybe it depends on the image and how it's embedded in the web page. If you have an example of something that doesn't work fro you, post it, and we'll see whether we can replicate it.

confirmed not working. I tried on my android phone, firefox, IE and chrome all unable to resize the image. Also I notice another issue, I use to be able to copy paste image in the notes directly (in all browser) but after an update I not sure when all this was disabled. to over come this SHI-T, I have to save the file as jpg, png, ..etc and had to manually attach it in the notes. I couldn't directly copy and paste an image using screenshot tools (snipping tool ..etc). Why is evernote ever want to disabled these features? Is like making this note very difficult to use.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Ben Ng said:

confirmed not working. I tried on my android phone, firefox, IE and chrome all unable to resize the image. Also I notice another issue, I use to be able to copy paste image in the notes directly (in all browser) but after an update I not sure when all this was disabled. to over come this SHI-T, I have to save the file as jpg, png, ..etc and had to manually attach it in the notes. I couldn't directly copy and paste an image using screenshot tools (snipping tool ..etc). Why is evernote ever want to disabled these features? Is like making this note very difficult to use.

As before, confirmed as working in the Windows native application; you're evidenly using the web client (and maybe the native Android client)?.Can't recall if resizing was ever supported in the web client or the Android client.

With respect to copy/paste in the web client, I see it working in the current web beta, which I'm using, and also the current version (the so-called "classic" version) on Chrome in Windows.

For everyone having the issue of being unable to resize:

I have the same issue but I was able to being able to resize images by opening Evernote on the website and not through the desktop app. 

If you only have a few images you need to resize this practical solution will do the trick. Also, for some random reason once you resize the given image or images through the website it will also allow you to resize it in the desktop app

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, kingofprusia said:

I have the same issue but I was able to being able to resize images by opening Evernote on the website and not through the desktop app. 

Yea, you're correct -- my bad. You *can* do it in the web client, in Chrome for Windows at least: just click on an image, and you should see a resize box. If the image in in HTML content (I see this on web clips in the beta editor), then you need to enable editing on the HTML content first: click on the "HTML Content" label, and then click on the magic want icon that appears.

My experience: Evenote web v6.18.0 (Chrome OS though)   screen grabbed images (.png) won't resize. Copied images (.jpg) and then pasted neither. But saved images as .jpg and then inserted as photo in the note will resize.

For me an image is an image and from functionality point of view they should all be resizable, no? It's everNOTE for note taking, not struggeling and thinking what can or cannot in which client etc.. 

I still for the life of me can't figure out how to get a picture in there to resize. No matter how I get the picture in there, it just gives me the option to download or view image gallery. I have tried on Chrome internet, desktop app, and IOS on my phone. Nothing at all.

SOLUTION:
It has something to do with formatting guys.
I could paste an image full size on another paragraph, but on the next one I had the same problem. Small image with magnifying glass.

I selected all the empty space I could where I wanted to paste the image > Right Click > Remove formatting

Pasted the image and voila. Solved.