Jump to content

How to exclude deleted notes from search?


Recommended Posts

At the top of my Shortcuts, I have a default search for all notebooks which excludes notes tagged "Archive". However, search returns notes I have just deleted. This is annoying because I have deleted the note(s) so that I don't have to consider it(them) anymore.

How do I adjust the search to NOT include deleted notes? TIA.

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, TdeV said:

search returns notes I have just deleted. This is annoying because I have deleted the note(s) so that I don't have to consider it(them) anymore.

On my devices/platforms (Mac, iPad) deleted notes in the Trash are excluded from the search

Is this a temporary issue, resolved after a sync?

Link to post

I don't know, @DTLow. I tested this, i.e. created a note and synced, then deleted it. But it stayed deleted!

I've restored the note and will try again tomorrow to see if it behaves differently. 🙁

Link to post
  • Level 5*

Just did a quick test, no matter syncing or not, notes in the trash don't appear in search results for me.   Only works if context is Trash.

Link to post
  • Level 5*

Using the Windows client, deleted notes do not show up in the note list for me, but Trash is identified as a notebook where a matching note can be found.  I like that it does that.

image.png.e7e6aa16f2287829def0c5dfbc0fc38a.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Using the Windows client, deleted notes do not show up in the note list for me, but Trash is identified as a notebook where a matching note can be found.  I like that it does that.

image.png.e7e6aa16f2287829def0c5dfbc0fc38a.png

Good catch.  I don't enable the option Show assisted search so I don't see that. 

Plus I pretty much keep the trash empty.  I'm confused enough as it is without leaving stuff around to rabbit hole into...

Link to post
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, CalS said:

I don't enable the option Show assisted search so I don't see that. 

I tend to just use keyword searches so I find this search information helpful to drill down if the initial search returns too many notes.  Locating notes in trash is a side benefit for me which I have found helpful a few times.

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, s2sailor said:

I tend to just use keyword searches so I find this search information helpful to drill down if the initial search returns too many notes.  Locating notes in trash is a side benefit for me which I have found helpful a few times.

Cool.  I tend to use tags and then words to winnow the results if need be.  That and the fact I predominantly do All Notes searches with very few notebooks sort of takes the gloss of the feature, my use case anyway.

Link to post
5 hours ago, CalS said:

Show assisted search

Could you please tell me what "Assisted Search" is? Google doesn't seem to know and the Evernote discussion forums don't say.

Link to post
  • Level 5*
24 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Could you please tell me what "Assisted Search" is? Google doesn't seem to know and the Evernote discussion forums don't say.

You will find it under Tools - Options - Search.  It will provide derivatives of your search term and reference whether the term appears in other notebooks.  I would turn it on and see how if feels for you.  Doesn't do much for me, but it is use case specific for sure.

With  ScreenClip.png.704a469d2309411edbf4139ecfe9390a.png

W/O  ScreenClip.png.1723c4c5b1a1dacc4c0cb4d77f71cc4e.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Aah. Thank you @CalS. I *wish* I could exlude one set of those searches selectively. Removing "trash" from the list would work well.

You are welcome.  Yeah, to not have Trash appear in assisted search Trash needs to be empty.  Though I don't think the notes referenced by Trash are actually in the note list unless you select Trash.

  • Like 2
Link to post
  • Level 5*
20 hours ago, CalS said:

You are welcome.  Yeah, to not have Trash appear in assisted search Trash needs to be empty.  Though I don't think the notes referenced by Trash are actually in the note list unless you select Trash.

That's correct, as far as I know; in fact, the notes in the result list don't contain any of the notes referenced in Assisted Search; they match just what you asked for. Assisted Search just gives you some hints in case you're not finding what you're looking for. Nice feature, that, including the inclusion of Trash, since people sometimes delete notes by mistake, I'm told...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
  • 11 months later...
On 07.05.2019 at 02:18, TdeV said:

Aah. Thank you @CalS. I *wish* I could exlude one set of those searches selectively. Removing "trash" from the list would work well.

Yeah. It's absolutely useless for me - when I search for something and in search results see deleted notes
-create mess in search result.

So strange that in Evernote doesn't have option to disable this.

So uncomfortably.

Link to post
  • Level 5

Have you ever tried what you are posting about ? Notes in the trash do not show up in search results, if you use the standard search function. This is by default, no option.

Only the assisted search (which is not the standard search) does include trash. Assisted search is NOT the standard way of searching in EN. It is a fallback option if the normal search does not find what you are looking for. It is not even available in many of the clients. 

Link to post
  • Level 5*

My test case:

  • Create a dummy tag "xyzzy"
  • Apply the tag to one of my test notes (that I use for texting Evernote glitches, etc.) that live in a notebook named "Test"
  • Go to All Notes, and do a search for notes with that tag: tag:xyzzy
  • The note is seen in the note list
  • Right click on the note in the note list, select "Move to Trash"
  • The note disappears from the note list.

Appears to work. Works the same with Assisted Search enabled or disabled.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...