How can I search for notes that either in notebook x or have tag y?

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, kentskyo said:

I would like to find notes which are either in notebook x or have tag y, I haven't found a way to do this with the search syntax. Has anyone found a method? Thanks!

Two searches

1. Search    notebook:x    
    Assign    tag:x
  2. Search     any: tag:x tag:y
  • Like 1

Thanks but that's basically just searching on two tags (after assigning everything in notebook x to a tag)... my use case is a single search, that I can put in shortcuts that would combine:

notebook:x  ... let's say this has 1 note

notebook:y ... has a note with tag:z

The search:

any: notebook:x tag:z

which returns the notes in notebook x and all the notes in notebook:y or any other notebook, that has tag:z

• Level 5*
On 4/30/2019 at 9:17 AM, kentskyo said:

my use case is a single search, that I can put in shortcuts that would combine:...

Please add the use case to your discussion description

Notebooks are "special".  They are not included in the :any union

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, kentskyo said:

Yes, evidently :) Was hoping it was more orthogonal. Sorry it wasn't clarified earlier. 

Reference is here: https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php

Specific quote for this case:

Scope modifiers

notebook:[nb name] - will match notes in a notebook with the provided name. Name matching is case-insensitive. Since notebooks have exclusive relationships with notes, at most one notebook can be provided for the search. If no notebook is given, the search will go over all of the user's active notes. The notebook is not included in the "union" created by the "any:" operator. E.g.:

• notebook:"Bob's first notebook"
    • Matches all notes in this notebook
  • notebook:"Hot Stuff" any: mexican italian
    • Matches all notes in the "Hot Stuff" notebook that have the word "mexican" or the word "italian" in them.

any: - If this expression is found at the beginning of the search (after the "notebook", if present), then the search will return a note that matches any of the other search terms. If this is not found, then the default behavior will be used: a note must match all of the search terms. This expression cannot be negated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, kentskyo said:

Yes, that's unfortunately and arbitrarily limiting. 

Unfortunate for sure, but pretty sure it is on purpose.  For whatever reason(s) EN opted not to include Boolean logic in the search engine.

Boolean logic is there, any is effectively an "or" and multiple conditions an "and", it's just not uniformly applicable. Which makes notebooks clunky 2nd class citizens in the search algorithm

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, kentskyo said:

Which makes notebooks clunky 2nd class citizenin the search algorithm

I don't know the reason, but I share your opinion of Notebooks, and not just for searches

Between Notebooks and Tags, my choice is to use Tags unless I need the special Notebook features.

The special Notebook features are

• Private/Shared
  • Sync'd/Local
  • Level 5*
54 minutes ago, kentskyo said:

Boolean logic is there, any is effectively an "or" and multiple conditions an "and", it's just not uniformly applicable. Which makes notebooks clunky 2nd class citizens in the search algorithm

Boolean should have OR AND and NOT all working at the same time.  EN only processes one at a time, OR or ALL.  I'm all for full Boolean, it just doesn't exist in EN.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

I'm all for full Boolean, it just doesn't exist in EN.

Full boolean is needed,
but @kentskyo's issue is that Evernote  excludes Notebooks from some search parameters.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, kentskyo said:

The main feature request for full Boolean search in Evernote -- which I would take to include NOT operations and full generality --  is here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/50625-full-boolean-search/. You should consider adding your vote/voice to it. I think it would be a good thing to have, myself (yes, I upvoted the request).

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, DTLow said:

but @kentskyo's issue is that Evernote  excludes Notebooks from some search parameters.

Looks like all notes in notebook x OR all notes with tag y to me....