How can I annotate PDF with external tool?

I know that Evernote integrates Skitch for annotating PDFs, but I would like to use the Mac Preview app instead (I find the text highlighting in Preview better). But I can't find a setting to launch Preview for annotation rather than Skitch. Is there a hidden option somewhere or some way to achieve this? 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

My process is to right-click the PDF and select Open With160179818_ScreenShot2019-04-30at07_19_41.png.7b30914057ec076b2fcfe08ebc0c27cd.png

A list of pdf editor apps is displayed

I can make Preview the default app for Open

• Like 1

Thanks DTLow and macfixer ! I already have Preview as my default for PDFs in Evernote. The problem is when annotating Preview makes a copy of the PDF and wants to save it on my Desktop rather than back into Evernote. So I have to then manually drag it back from the desktop and replace the previous PDF saved in the Evernote. I believe that Evernote used to work, and this is a bug that have crept back in. I'm running:

Version 7.9.1 (457703 App Store)
Editor: 62.3.7750 (ee6e44e)

on MacOS Mojave 10.14.4 (18E226)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, NicFromOz said:

The problem is when annotating Preview makes a copy of the PDF and wants to save it on my Desktop rather than back into Evernote.

You're highjacking your own discussion.

Contact support for your issue at https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, NicFromOz said:

The problem is when annotating Preview makes a copy of the PDF and wants to save it on my Desktop rather than back into Evernote. So I have to then manually drag it back from the desktop and replace the previous PDF saved in the Evernote. I believe that Evernote used to work, and this is a bug that have crept back in

I'm not seeing this.  When I open an attached pdf I can edit the file in preview and when I exit preview the updated file is automatically saved back into Evernote.  I'm using the same version of EN, though the direct download version and also Mojave.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, NicFromOz said:

Ok, so I switched to the non-App Store version of Evernote and it works great. So, seems like maybe Apple changes some limitations of the app sandboxing.

Glad to hear that took care of the issue.  I've heard of other limitations in the past, but not this one.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This worked! This is the exact problem brought me here, and deleting the install from the app store and installing Evernote from the website fixed the problem!

Interestingly enough, the app store file size (I noticed it when un-installing) was 125mb, whereas the website version was 168mb. So definitely different versions. 

Can/should this problem be brought to Evernote's attention? This problem was maddening! haha :) 

• 7 months later...
On 5/23/2019 at 11:09 AM, JSargeant said:

This worked! This is the exact problem brought me here, and deleting the install from the app store and installing Evernote from the website fixed the problem!

JSargeant, did you notice that this isn't working anymore with the downloaded version of Evernote? I applied the advice in this thread a few months ago and got it working but since then I can't save any PDF I edit in Preview.app after opening it from Evernote without saving it as a new, separate copy of the original file.

• Level 5

Note with pdf - right click on the pdf - open with Preview - edit - click on "close" (red dot) - autosave in EN, pdf is modified. Alternatively "open with..." and choose another pdf editor, works as well.

Catalina 10.15.2, EN 7.14 direct download.

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, Ilhan said:

did you notice that this isn't working anymore with the downloaded version of Evernote?

I'm using the downloaded version of Evernote (direct download from Evernote)
No problem annotating pdfs using Preview