Table of contents within a note?

I have a large note, a few thousand words long, which has notes on topics. For example, in my geography notebook I have one note for tectonics, coasts, etc:

image.png.b6a60c8f4d16ac3534fca2fe2d199269.png

Similar for history and economics too.

I am wondering if I can create a table at the top of the note to let me jump to the various sections?

Or would it be better to split the note up into topics, and then create a table of contents for the topic with a link to each subtopic?

Thanks!

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

As you've discovered, you cannot create links in Evernote notes that are like the HTML anchor tag that will take you to a specific spot in the note.

I don't know how you made your TOC note above, but you can select all the notes you want, right-click, then click the Create Table of Contents Note button. Any additions or changes in the future though would have to be manual, or whack the TOC note and create a new one with more/different notes.

In Windows, you can find your TOC notes fast. Just search for the following:

sourceurl:"file://Table*"

That won't work for Mac created TOC notes. It doesn't populate the URL field.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, GiacomoLaw said:

I've split them up into subtopics, then I compile the notes together into an overview note, and link them in a master note like this:

Good to see you worked it out.

My feeling is it's better to has smaller notes; less scope for editing mishaps.

You also might check out automatic updates to your ToC notes.  This is supported by third party Filterize; I use scripting (Mac)

• Like 1
20 hours ago, EdH said:

As you've discovered, you cannot create links in Evernote notes that are like the HTML anchor tag that will take you to a specific spot in the note.

I don't know how you made your TOC note above, but you can select all the notes you want, right-click, then click the Create Table of Contents Note button. Any additions or changes in the future though would have to be manual, or whack the TOC note and create a new one with more/different notes.

In Windows, you can find your TOC notes fast. Just search for the following:

That won't work for Mac created TOC notes. It doesn't populate the URL field.

Thanks, that what I did but I put them all in a subject note. Thanks for the URL, I'll be using that!

14 hours ago, DTLow said:

Good to see you worked it out.

My feeling is it's better to has smaller notes; less scope for editing mishaps.

You also might check out automatic updates to your ToC notes.  This is supported by third party Filterize; I use scripting (Mac)

Unfortunately I'm on Windows, so no scripting available. I'm just going to add them to my subject note as I go along, and when I finish a topic, make a new merged 'master' note, along with the separate subjects.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I too have been wanting to do this for a long time.  I tried different combinations of merging the notes than doing the TOC and finally figured that since they are simply HTML Anchor/Jump hyperlinks.  Therefore, while there is a manual way to do it, it isn't worth the opportunity cost for the time it would take in an example such as this one above.  

I am just started to read on the topic but I would be greatly surprised if this hasn't been solved or have 

• 1 year later...