Genealogy and Evernote

Just thought I would post how I am using EN for genealogy research.  I've been using EN for many years but just started with genealogy last month.  While I keep my tree in genealogy software, I have been making a note for each ancestory that I am researching.  The title of the note is the full name and year of birth and death (to easily distinguish between multiple ancestors with the same name) I have these in a notebook called Family History, and in the note itself I list research details I've found, along with their source (census, etc).  I then save copies of those sources like birth certificate, etc as separate notes but then merge them together.  I tag the note with just the last name, so I can easily pull up the notes associated with that line of descendants. 

I can take pictures of grave sites or documents which can't be scanned and also attach those.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 4/25/2019 at 7:10 AM, catsknit said:

While I keep my tree in genealogy software

I'm using MacFamily Tree to store my geology data; tree, images, year of birth/death, images, stories, sources

I'm not using Evernote for any of this data.  I only create a task note if there's followup required.

I like the idea of storing the data in Evernote, but haven't figured a way to keep the two platforms in sync

• 8 months later...

Just an update on how my system is evolving. While I still maintain my tree in genealogy software, along with attached media, I'm using EN more for research notes. Possibly I could keep all that in the software as well but I'm still not very familiar with all the facets of that, while I'm pretty used to EN.  Plus, I have EN available on my PC, tablet, phone and even on the web from a friend's or relative's computer if need be.

As an example, I have brick wall ancestors, my paternal gggrandfather and gggrandmother, who seem to have fallen from the sky on the day they were married, with no previous history on either one. So i have  this page below with various notes I've made to myself and then links to websites or other notes which support what I have written:

image.thumb.png.e5d93146636efd101c7d0d9f0441ba9d.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, catsknit said:

While I still maintain my tree in genealogy software, along with attached media, I'm using EN more for research notes. Possibly I could keep all that in the software as well but I'm still not very familiar with all the facets of that, while I'm pretty used to EN.

Which software/service are you using?
The information belongs there if possible

I'm using Mac Family Tree and IOS Mobile Family Tree with the data uploaded to website MacFamilyTree.com

I have both Legacy and Roots Magic, the free versions, trying them out before deciding which works best for me.  I tried a few others as well. I know they can do a lot of things but I haven't had the time to really delve into them well enough to do much.  I just imported a gedcom that I saved from Ancestry, where my main tree is (trying to get away from depending on Ancestry)

I'm on Windows and android, or I'd check out the Mac stuff you list.

• 3 months later...

Catsknit, 

I use Legacy and Evernote as well.  One thing I found helpful is a book called "How to use Evernote for Genealogy". Yes it's an older book, and the screen shots are not valid anymore, but I still think it's a valid tool for us to have. The concepts are the same, and it's not hard to find how to do it in the newest version.  Check it out. I love it. Plus the author is a member of the facebook group EverNote Genealogy. 

https://www.amazon.com/How-Evernote-Genealogy-Step-Step-ebook/dp/B0178M3LZS/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2LSKDCMBRJNYZ&dchild=1&keywords=how+to+use+evernote+for+genealogy&qid=1586459616&sprefix=How+to+use+Evernote+for+Ge%2Caps%2C218&sr=8-2

• Thanks 2