Easier way to move tag to new tag parent

TdeV

Idea

I have a thousand tags probably (I don't know how to count them).

I'd like to move a tag to a new hierarchy, for example

Current hierarchy
Fruit
     Figs.Dried

New hierarchy
Dried.DeHydrated
     Figs.Dried

At the moment, these tags are hundreds/thousands items apart in the tag list, so it takes 6 - 10 DragNDrop to move the item.

One way to solve this could be changing the Rename Tag applet so as to give us the ability to edit the parent structure. It's not difficult for me to look up the exact spelling of the new parent tag, but it would be easier with auto-complete.

For this use case, multiple parents are not necessary, but I would also like multiple parents.

• Like 1

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

You guys are missing the point.  For those of us, like me, that have many legitimate tags (>> 100), the current process to move a tag to a new Parent tag is ridiculous.

We should be able to right-click on the tag ( in BOTH the left Sidebar, and in the Tags View), select "Move to Parent Tag", and be provided with a popup, auto-complete list like the Tag Filter uses.

Reducing the number of tags is NOT an option for us.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, TdeV said:

I have a thousand tags probably (I don't know how to count them).

I'd like to move a tag to a new hierarchy, for example

Current hierarchy
Fruit
     Figs.Dried

New hierarchy
Dried.DeHydrated
     Figs.Dried

At the moment, these tags are hundreds/thousands items apart in the tag list, so it takes 6 - 10 DragNDrop to move the item.

One way to solve this could be changing the Rename Tag applet so as to give us the ability to edit the parent structure. It's not difficult for me to look up the exact spelling of the new parent tag, but it would be easier with auto-complete.

For this use case, multiple parents are not necessary, but I would also like multiple parents.

Don't know if it will help, but if you right click on the tag icon in the left panel and select Show Tags View you get more real estate to work within.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Maybe it would be the right moment to check which tags have a low or even zero usage. And then retag the notes with similar tags used more often, and delete the rarely used tags from the notes. When on zero usage, delete them. Maybe you could get rid of 1/3 or even 1/2 of the tags because they are not needed.

• Level 5

Just a little story about my personal experience: A while ago I managed a department where a sort of tagging was going on to classify information, day by day. About 100.000 entries were created and tagged every year. We had a discussion about the tagging quality, about whether there should be more tags for some rare cases that were difficult to structure etc., and made an analysis of the database.

• There were about 3.500 possible tags in the given structure.
  • Out of these, about 700 were used in real life.
  • There were about 50 people actively tagging. Nobody used individually more than 300 tags. The majority used between 80 and 150.
  • The 700 in total resulted from the fact that the same issue was tagged differently by different people contributing to the database.

After this, we shifted focus from the tagging of the exceptions to a better standard of the day-to-day tagging. We actually got better by reducing the number of actively used tags. The exceptions were treated as such, not as reasons to complicate the tagging structure. When the structure was revised later, we axed a complete level of the nesting structure.

Transfer: The more tags you create, the less likely you will use all relevant ones when searching. I do not think there exists a "right" number of tags, but cleaning the existing tag-base out from time to time IMHO sounds like a reasonable house keeping job. When you find a tag with few entries, and is is existing since quite a while, why not ask yourself whether it should continue to exist.

I'm with @JMichaelTX, I have hundreds of tags, maybe more than 1K. When I'm working with tags, I get there from the TAG item on the left panel. I have a 25" monitor which displays 6 columns of tags. Moving the item I identified above took 6 - 10 DragNDrops. Which is ridiculous.

YOU may organize YOUR tags in your preferred method and reduce the quantity of tags. I like tags because they allow me to lump similar things together which don't use the same language in the note itself. For example, I use ONE tag to refer to the following: pie, tart, crostata, clafoutis, galette and wähe. It is unlikely that, without the tag, these items would be selected in the same sort.

Another example of tagging: onion. If I searched using the word "onion" there would be thousands of notes, because somewhere in most recipes is an onion; however, if I want a dish which is predominantly onion, I would use the tag "onion".

Edited by TdeV
Clarity
  • Level 5*
8 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Transfer: The more tags you create, the less likely you will use all relevant ones when searching.

This is so funny.  First, many users are admonished to NOT use Notebooks -- use Tags.

Now, we are being told that we use too many tags.  What works for one user does not necessarily work for others. 

I have had many tags for years, and they all come in handy at various times.  A good UI will help the user find and select the tags he/she wants to use.  The EN Mac Tag Filter is a good example of this.  Also, the Chrome Web Clipper does a great job of allowing the user to quickly find/select tags.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, TdeV said:

One way to solve this could be changing the Rename Tag applet so as to give us the ability to edit the parent structure. 

Agreed; we need access to the parent structure instead of drag and drop.  

For Mac users, we have this access using Applescript.

>>I would also like multiple parents.

Multiple parents discussed here.

• Like 1