Search for a single tag

TdeV

Idea

I just selected tag "sauce". What the results return are ANY tag "sauce", "sauce.cheese"

My ordinary view is all notes NOT including tag "Archive". With these two (ie.three) tags, thousands of notes are returned. I'm not interested in the results of changing query from ANY to ALL.

If I select ALL notes, and the same query (tag:sauce), then the results return ANY tag "sauce", "sauce.cheese" which is 32 notes.

I thought EN would return all notes with tag:sauce* because tags are now "nested", but it does not. (This is 173 notes)

Why?

TIA

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, TdeV said:

I just selected tag "sauce". What the results return are ANY tag "sauce", "sauce.cheese"

Which platform/device?

Can you post a screenshot of your search.

My search would be coded in the search box as     tag:"sauce"

Without the tag:, you are doing text searches

>>I thought EN would return all notes with tag:sauce* because tags are now "nested", but it does not. 

Nesting is not a factor in tag searches.  edit: Correction - See @CalS post  below; it's a Windows option

The wildcard search is valid; the search will use all tags beginning with sauce

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, TdeV said:

I thought EN would return all notes with tag:sauce* because tags are now "nested", but it does not. (This is 173 notes)

To search for all notes containing tags under a parent tag go to Tools - Options - Navigation  and select Automatically select child tags.  This creates an Any search for these tags.

In general a search for tag:sauce should only return notes tagged with sauce, a search for tag:sauce* should return any notes with tags beginning with sauce.  Works that way for me anyway.

• Like 2
On 4/20/2019 at 1:18 PM, CalS said:

To search for all notes containing tags under a parent tag go to Tools - Options - Navigation  and select Automatically select child tags.  This creates an Any search for these tags.

In general a search for tag:sauce should only return notes tagged with sauce, a search for tag:sauce* should return any notes with tags beginning with sauce.  Works that way for me anyway.

Can this not be a feature for all platforms? This is something that I just posted on reddit here:

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, remembereverything said:

Can this not be a feature for all platforms? This is something that I just posted on reddit here:

My experience with the search-for-tag-and-its-nested-children is this: extremely poor:

First and foremost: it's a hack, plain and simple. It's obvious what they did to implement it: if the option is turned on, then they just turn the whole search into an any: search, and toss all of the child tags in, regardless of whether you wanted an AND search in the first place. A pretty clumsy way to go about it.. It's not well integrated into the rest of the UX, not easy to configure (you need to go to the options menu to turn it on or off), and the behavior is not directly supported by the search language, which should underlie all search filtering operations. Because it's a pain to enable/disable it, you can't just casually use it. In the tag picker, there was no indication that a tag you were clicking on had nested children, so if you didn't realize that you were clicking on a tag with children, then surprises about: your search is now borked because after artificially adding all of those tags to your search, you can't easily go back to a state before you clicked on the cursed tag..

In short, however well-intentioned, this is a terrible misfeature that should have never passed the design phase. Initially I thought it was an interesting idea, but I wound up turning it off after a couple of days of wondering what the heck was going wrong with my searches because the option was enabled, and all of a sudden they'd blow up into something I didn't want.

So sure, if they choose to add it to all of the other platforms, as long as there's a way to turn it off, I'm (grudgingly) ok with it. Because I'll never turn it on again, unless I need to try to help someone else out with its usage. But really, this feature should never have been, on any Evernote platform.

FWIW: my idea would be to extend the search language to allow sub-tag searches, using a syntax of something like: +tag:Sometag, and make it so that this term can participate in standard AND searches without turning the hole thing into an any: search (like the wildcard support that already exist). Once that's in place, then they can add UI operations that cause this new term to be added via some type of mouse click if desired, while you're forming the search, rather that relying on a global flag that can only be changed in the Options dialog.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, jefito said:

First and foremost: it's a hack, plain and simple

So i get that this exact feature the way it is designed is a hack as using a wildcard after a tag is not really a good way to do this. If you see my use case on the other thread then I think, perhaps, you may see the distinction. I use top level tags as merely dividers at times and never have notes attached to them because then you would have to constantly remember to add the top level tag then the child tags. Also naming tags "protein - chicken", "protein - turkey" is not sustainable.

Again i could be just an outlier here on the way i use tags as I use them more for contexts and sometimes need to create blank tags to hierarchically organize my tags and it would be nice to search the notes altogether or individually quickly.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, remembereverything said:

Can this not be a feature for all platforms?

You could post in a feature request forum and see how many votes it gets.  I, as @jefito, don't see a lot to general use benefit to this functionality.  Might be better with some way to further cull down the list in search.  Other than that meh.  Horses for courses.  Sorry.

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*
On 4/20/2019 at 2:18 PM, CalS said:

BTW, this is entirely backed up by the search language reference: https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php