Mark a notebook or stack exempt from search

Jeremy B

Idea

In several cases, a notebook is useful for current reference only temporarily.  For example, I'll create a notebook for the current tax year, e.g., "Taxes 2018."  Once that tax year is over, I move the notebook to a stack I designate as an "archive" stack, to keep it separate from other notebooks that are currently more relevant.  However, when I perform a search, say "W-4," the search brings back every note with the word "W-4" in it, even those dating back years.

It would be great if I could simply designate my archive stack as exempt from a normal search, so I wouldn't get those results that I consider irrelevant.  A possible workaround for this kind of feature would be to allow a date-bounded search, to focus the search on more current notes.

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Jeremy B said:

However, when I perform a search, say "W-4," the search brings back every note with the word "W-4" in it, even those dating back years.

It would be great if I could simply designate my archive stack as exempt from a normal search,

This request has two points:  

1. Evernote has no support for an "exempt from search" mark.  
  2. The search feature has no option for all/exempt.

A work-around: search negation

The search feature has a negate option, but doesn't allow stacks/notebooks to be negated. 

Tags can be negated.

I use a generic tag:!Archive to mark notes as archived; and use -tag:!Archive to exclude these notes from searches.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Jeremy B said:

It would be great if I could simply designate my archive stack as exempt from a normal search, so I wouldn't get those results that I consider irrelevant. 

I have a similar setup:  I have both an "Archive" stack and an "Active" stack.  So when I want to restrict my search to active notes, I can either select the "Active" stack, and then enter my search; OR enter "STACK:Active" in the Search box.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Jeremy B said:

Once that tax year is over, I move the notebook to a stack I designate as an "archive" stack, to keep it separate from other notebooks that are currently more relevant.

3 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I have both an "Archive" stack and an "Active" stack.

I spent time setting up my notes in notebooks/stacks, and I have no desire to  move anything.

My preference is the requested  "exempt from search" mark which I could apply to the notes.

Archived