Improve cropping of Black n' Red page photos

RyanBHale

Idea

as a user creating a new note using the camera on an Android device, I want Evernote to detect that my photo is a page from a Black n' Red brand notebook and process the image (crop to corners, black & white), so that my images occupy less space and I don't spend time manually cropping the images with a desktop application.

I don't want to use the "SCRIBZEE" app to import the notebook photos to Evernote, just do this natively in Evernote using the cropping queues on the pages.

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, RyanBHale said:

as a user creating a new note using the camera on an Android device, I want Evernote to detect that my photo is a page from a Black n' Red brand notebook and process the image (crop to corners, black & white), so that my images occupy less space and I don't spend time manually cropping the images with a desktop application.

I don't want to use the "SCRIBZEE" app to import the notebook photos to Evernote, just do this natively in Evernote using the cropping queues on the pages.

? Evernote's camera function already has a 'save as document' option that will crop and enhance images for you.

How to capture handwriting and scan documents with your phone

• Level 5

One detail that that Evernote help article doesn't mention: It recommends using Auto-capture, holding the camera steadily over the document "so that the edges are visible inside the frame" and the camera automatically detects, focuses, and photographs the document. What it leaves out is that to do this, when you start taking the picture in Evernote you have to make sure that you're in auto-capture mode: as you're holding the phone over the notebook, look at the top right of the screen. The icon there should look like a document. If it looks like mountains/landscape, it's set to normal picture mode. Tap it to get into document auto-capture mode, and you should see the frame seeking the outlines of your page. A steady hand and a contrasting background are necessary, but it does work right, including taking care of the cropping.

Archived