Smart Notebooks

Jon123

Idea

Mail for example has Smart Mailboxes. iTunes has Smart Playlists. DEVONthink supports this.

Yes, these are basically "Saved Searches". But, I want them to live alongside Notebooks.

I want to be able to do complex logic with an easy to use GUI and easily make changes to it.

I want to be able to reference a Smart Notebook within the rules of another Smart Notebook, for example: 

Notebook 1: tag_a AND tag_b but not tag_c

Notebook 2: Not in Notebook 1

Notebook 3: Notebook 2 & contains "TEXT"

I don't want workarounds for making saved searches to do these things. I want the actual feature as described. If I'm getting particularly demanding, it would be great if the iOS app worked with them as well (for creating and editing, viewing I'm assuming would work out of the box).

• Like 1

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Jon123 said:

Yes, these are basically "Saved Searches". But, I want them to live alongside Notebooks.

The Shortcut Section is your "live alongside"
Create shortcuts for notebooks, saved searches, tags.

>>I want to be able to do complex logic with an easy to use GUI and easily make changes to it.  ... it would be great if the iOS app worked with them as well (for creating and editing, viewing I'm assuming would work out of the box).

Evernote supports a Search feature.  
Documentation at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828

I find it easy to use but ymmv.  Mac's also have a "build search" feature.

There are other requests posted for improvements to the search feature.  It lacks the complex boolean logic common in other search engines. See full-boolean-search/

As I mentioned, the search feature is not sufficient to accommodate the logic I described (at least not without a lot of bending and twisting). I was also being very simple with that example.

Saved searches may be able handle much of what I want to accomplish, however it's frustrating to use a different paradigm when the Rules based interfaces are so common and easy to use  even when building advanced AND/OR nested logic. OmniFocus, Mail, iTunes, DEVONthink, Hazel, etc all have them, and many others I'm not thinking of right now as well.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

No vested interest here,  but I am a subscriber to https://filterize.net/ - which allows you to create one or many 'dashboards' - essentially Tables of Contents that are automatically updated from user-defineable searches.  Haven't plumbed the depths of their search language yet,  but it appears more flexible than Evernote's inbuilt grammar,  and with multiple dashboards you can effectely have as many up to date saved search results as you like,  within a sync or two of the account...

I strongly second this suggestion. In particular, on the Mac in both Mail and Photos, the ability to create "Smart Mailboxes" and "Smart Albums" which any set of criteria is incredibly helpful. I would love to have "Smart Notebooks" which work and function and appear like any other notebook except that they always contain the results of the criteria set for them...specific tags especially, but also date ranges, presence within other notebooks, titles, etc.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Will Loving said:

I strongly second this suggestion. In particular, on the Mac in both Mail and Photos, the ability to create "Smart Mailboxes" and "Smart Albums" which any set of criteria is incredibly helpful. I would love to have "Smart Notebooks" which work and function and appear like any other notebook except that they always contain the results of the criteria set for them...specific tags especially, but also date ranges, presence within other notebooks, titles, etc.

Hi.  Would this do the job?

Filtered notes
This widget requires a Personal, Professional, or Teams subscription.

The filtered notes widget offers a new level of customization by allowing you to select criteria to show exactly the notes you want on Home. When adding this widget, you can add a custom name for the widget and select from an array of filters, including: tags, located in, contains, created date, and updated date. You can also apply an existing saved search. To learn more, visit Customize Home.

Note: Professional and Teams customers can add more than one filtered notes widget to Home.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360056265514

• Level 5

Another way is to create a search with the filters and selections wanted, and save it as a saved search. By selecting it as a shortcut, it can be pinned to the EN left panel.

Executing the search will use the criteria to show a fresh selection of notes, not only on the Home Screen.