Can't update (this has gone on for a long time)

I can't update to the newest version and it's been like this for a while (two months at least). I get an error message stating that my user name "is not a valid short file name." Then another window pops up that says "(.\Bootstrapper.ccp.981)0x643:Fatal Error during installation".

I don't pay for Evernote here so I can't put in a ticket. Do I just have to look for a new program to use and stop using Evernote?

We use Windows 7 Enterprise - is that the problem? That's a corporate decision (not mine). 

Thanks in advance for any advice!

• Ex Employees

Thanks for these reports. To confirm, does the same error occur if you download our latest update from here: https://evernote.com/download/

If you see the same error, please confirm the version of Evernote installed on your PC:

1.  Select the Windows + R key to open the Run Window.
  2. Type "Control Panel" > OK
  3.  Select **Uninstall a Program**
  4.  Confirm the Evernote Version displayed there

37 minutes ago, Kimsman said:

There is no option under Help to "Check for Updates"

This means you're running the version from the Windows Store. You can't update that - it will update when a new version is pushed (from us) to the Store.

It could be that you have both the direct download and Store versions installed. Which gets started depends on what you click (and what's currently running). It would probably be best to just uninstall everything and start over with the version you want...

Archived