EVERNOTE IS FAILING TO SAVE

I use Evernote almost every day, and so far today it's failing to save any changes I make to my notes. I keep getting the "couldn't save note" red banner on top of the page.  I tried logging out and logging in and thought that helped, but a few minutes later I got the couldn't-save message again. Sometimes it works if i make ONE change, stop and let Evernote to save it, then make another change. I'm a writer with a deadline. Clearly, I can't work like this. Is there a bug? Anyone else? What to do?

I'm on a PC on Google Chrome, what I've always used.  I tried Microsoft Edge -- same thing. Even when it seems like it's saving, when I leave the Evernote tab to go to another tab and come back, the changes are gone. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, GTKZ said:

I use Evernote almost every day, and so far today it's failing to save any changes I make to my notes. I keep getting the "couldn't save note" red banner on top of the page.  I tried logging out and logging in and thought that helped, but a few minutes later I got the couldn't-save message again. Sometimes it works if i make ONE change, stop and let Evernote to save it, then make another change. I'm a writer with a deadline. Clearly, I can't work like this. Is there a bug? Anyone else? What to do?

I'm on a PC on Google Chrome, what I've always used.  I tried Microsoft Edge -- same thing. Even when it seems like it's saving, when I leave the Evernote tab to go to another tab and come back, the changes are gone. 

Which version are you using?

• Ex Employees

@GTKZ, can you provide details on the exact error you are receiving? Please provide the exact text, if possible. Also, if you are familiar with Chrome dev tools, you could open up the Javascript console and see if there are any errors there. 

Also, you might consider trying the latest web client again. That's the version that we are actively supporting. If you encounter issues in the older web client, we will be less likely to address the issue if not urgent. Though, if there's an issue saving notes, that would definitely be fixed. 

Thank you so much, Scott, for replying. Attached are screenshots that I hope will answer your questions. How do I switch to the new web client? I'm willing to try it again, hoping the initial problems were fixed. I love Evernote -- above other services -- and it's really messing me up not being able to use it. 

evernoteerror.png

javascriptconsole.png

Thank you so much, Scott, for replying. Attached are screenshots that I hope will answer your questions.

I found how to switch to the new version, and it seems to be saving,  but it freezes while it's saving. So ....

• Ex Employees

Hi @GTKZ. Thanks for the additional info. I'll follow-up with the team tomorrow when I'm back in the office. If you are able to, can you open the network tab of the dev tools and make sure the web client has fully loaded (network activity stopped). Then clear the network tab out and try editing the note. Then send a screenshot of that. It will help to see if one of the calls is maybe timing out. We'll be looking for something like "utility" or "notestore". Those will be the updates/syncs. If you do the same thing on the old client, the calls should also be "notestore".

Hoping this will help us figure out what is going on. Also, let me know if you are running any specific Chrome extensions. We sometimes see issues with them interfering with our calls. I think we're generally OK with most of the popular ad blockers since I know some devs use them. But, would be good to know just in case. Though, you indicated you saw something similar on Edge, which would lead me to look elsewhere, like network issues or firewalls. LMK if you have anything like that.

Hi @Scott T. Thank you for your help.

With some help, I discovered that my Windows 10 had failed to update to the latest version released last October -- #1809.  My computer was running #1803. After the update, the old version of Evernote began to work again. I found like a dozen saved files of the note I was working on ... I don't know, maybe every failed attempt to save showe up there.

Last night, after the update, the new Evernote version continued to take too long to save, which is why I've never liked it.  For example, if I type a word and quickly try to backspace-erase some letters, it freezes. Right now, it seems better, though is stillslow.

Attached are screenshots (first two) of dev tools console and network tabs (captured just now) of new Evernote version.  I've also attached the dev tools console screenshot (third image) for the old version, which I took just now as I was making revisions on the note and while  the system seemed to be working fine (but there's failure stuff in the console ... don't know what it means). Hope this helps. 

I work on Chrome with Ad Blocker and Ghostery extensions. 

mar28 newevernote.png

mar28 newevernote2.png

mar28oldevernote.png

• Ex Employees

Thanks @GTKZ. The only interesting thing in the screenshots is the last error in the first one. Other errors are ad blocker and I think the first is an expected warning. I'll double-check this with the dev team and get back to you when I have an answer.

• Ex Employees

One of the devs believes the Unchecked runtime.lastError comes from a Chrome plugin as well (see https://developer.chrome.com/apps/runtime#property-lastError). A suggestion was to try opening the Evernote website in a Chrome incognito window, since that should disable all plugins (unless you've explicitly allowed the plugin in incognito mode). That would help us determine if there is a plugin issue or not.

Attached are four screen shots. First two are not incognito, with the second one taken a few seconds after the first one after typing something and reloading. Third and fourth shots are incognito, wih the fourth one taken a few seconds after the first one, after typing something and reloading.

notincognito.png

notincognito2.png

incognito1.png

incognito2.png

• Ex Employees
2 hours ago, GTKZ said:

Hi! Did you figure out what the error or what is causing it?

Hello, our development team is still investigating this. However, it appears to be caused by uploading larger images or attachments. These can take some time to upload through the browser. If you upload a larger image or attachment and then quickly start adding text or editing the note, it seems to cause this sync notice to appear. It may happen more frequently when the note is longer and/or has many images/attachments in it.

Until this fully gets resolved (no ETA at the moment, but it is a priority), please try to be very slow and deliberate when adding larger images and attachments before resuming editing. This should hopefully help mitigate collisions in the meantime. Thank you for your help with providing the above information and for your patience while the development team gets to the bottom of this.

Actually, I havent uploaded a single image into any of my notes. Not one.  It's all copy.  And when I copy and paste from online sources, I use  ctl + shift + v  to remove the format. So I don't see how that could be the cause. 

• Ex Employees

Thank you for these details, they are helpful while we continue to investigate this in all aspects.

Is the note you're pasting into by any chance a longer note?

Are there attachments of any kind?

Are bullet, numbered, or checklists present in your note and are you pasting into them?  

The note is long. I usually work on documents 1k to 10k long. This one is 4k. There are two short (5 bullets or less) bullet lists. I usually have more that that. No attachments. There are links to the websites I use for reference. In this note I have a few 2 x 2 tables, but the saving problem started before I started using those.  Attached are developer tools shots. The 2nd one, without errors, is incognito.

evernoteap3a.png

evernoteincognitoap3b.png

• Ex Employees

@GTKZ it looks like those errors in your newest console screenshots are reporting from the older version of Evernote Web. If you try the same note on the newer version of Evernote Web again (it looks like you tried this earlier at Scott's request to limited success but may have encountered other issues with the new version) do you still receive a message about not being able to sync your updates?

Once on the newer version of Evernote Web, please follow these steps if you continue to encounter the issue and please keep us posted.

@Jay-Bob  I don't like and don't use the new version of Evernote. It takes too long to save each update ... cursor freezes while saving. Slows me down way too much. 

@MatS14  Yes, that's what the error looked like when it was happening. I posted a screenshot of it earlier in the thread. 

• Ex Employees
1 hour ago, GTKZ said:

I don't like and don't use the new version of Evernote. It takes too long to save each update ... cursor freezes while saving. Slows me down way too much. 

When you mention it takes too long to save each update in the new version - can you please elaborate on when this happens? We're continually making updates to the new version and it should always be syncing/updating so you won't be seeing a green checkbox like you do in the old version because it isn't necessary.

In the new version, does this happen in a new note, or only in longer notes like the one you're referring when working in the old web version? 

• 9 months later...

Hi @GTKZ ! 

Sorry about joining in on this thread, but I'm having the same issue on the new Evernote web version it has become a major nightmare, it keep on showing "..saving" on the bottom right corner but it never saves my notes. I'm using evernote premium but I'm still having this issue!

I love using evernote!! PLEASE RESOLVE THIS! 

Screenshot from 2020-01-15 13-38-46.png

• Level 5

Hi, @galasachin, and welcome to the forums. These are mainly user-to-user; Evernote staff may look in, but this isn't a reliable way to address them directly. Since you've got a Premium subscription, you could contact tech support about this: https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new.

But while we're talking, does it work any better to switch from the Beta editor to the "Classic" (by clicking on the black Beta Editor button)? The beta is a beta, and though Evernote does kind of dump us into it, we can sometimes avoid problems by going back to Classic or even the "Previous" version (found by clicking your initial at top left to get the Account menu).