Search function dont work

Ferny

• Level 5*

Hi.  AFAIK the only last update was beta-related.  What Evernote version do you actually have?  And when you say "no working" does that mean you get an error,  incorrect results,  zero hits or an endlessly circling green flash?

Search not working.

By johnfrew2104, Sunday at 10:12 AM in Evernote for Android 

johnfrew2104     0

I have the current beta installed on my mobile and the search function has stopped working. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and still nothing. When I start a search it looks like it is trying but nothing comes back. Huawei P20 Pro. 

EdH     1,542

EdH

Does your search work ok if you log into Evernote on your PC/Mac via the web?

johnfrew2104     0

Have not tried but I need it to work on the phone. 

CalS     3,524

CalS

What’s the search?

EdH     1,542

EdH
  On 3/24/2019 at 3:52 PM, johnfrew2104 said:

Have not tried but I need it to work on the phone. 

I understand that, but I am trying to see if your search index is totally messed up, or if it is just on your phone.

This sounds like it could be related to ticket #2804215 that I opened Mar 22, 22:14 PDT. Quoted below is what I put in the ticket, except for the link to my activity log. Pixel 2 XL, Android 9, EN for Android 8.9.

I didn't post here until now because I wanted to give support a chance to fix or at least respond to this very serious and embarrassing failure before making it public, but as of now, I've gotten no response. I am a premium user.

Time permitting, I will re-install Evernote on my old tablet and see if the problem is there too.

I am disgruntled.

I have a saved search that I've been using for ages. The query is pretty basic:

notebook:"Actions Pending" tag:1-Now

On the Android app, it was working fine until a couple of hours ago. Now all I get is a mostly blank screen with some reminders. Here is a link to an EN note with three screen shots, plus captions I wrote, showing the badly broken search results produced by this query: 

https://www.evernote.com/l/AOVdalA0KShCNpPlKVtbGAqlpTplXceci3M/ (plus additional tests I did)

Here is link to an EN note with the activity log, including my EN, Android versions and HW info: 

https://www.evernote.com/l/[censored]/

In fact, all my other saved searches in Android are broken in a similar way. Searching by tag from the menu seems to work fine, i.e. produces results that look reasonable although I haven't checked them in detail.

On the Windows client and the Web client, all saved searches are working fine. For the save search query above, there should be 6 notes found, one of them has an upcoming reminder set for 3/23/2019 7 pm, the other 5 have no reminders set.

Seriously, what's going on here? How could something as fundamental as search just break in a production environment?

Update: I re-installed on my NVIDIA Shield K1 (Android 7; EN Android app 8.8.1) and saved searches are working fine. But, they are still badly broken on the Pixel as per the ticket I opened.

EN support is supposed to be open Sunday (for chat, at least) but apparently they don't check email, as I haven't heard a thing from them.

fabienli     1

Same issue with my Note9, I updated the Evernote Android app this weekend, and I can't search anymore.

todami2     0

I have the same problem with my Huawei P20. Evernote version of 8.9_beta3.

Bielefeldt     1

The problems with searching for notes have started for approx. a week ago.

With over 4000 notes, I am completely dependent on the search function and use it many times daily.

But now search does not work even if it looks like it is working. There are no results.

My device is an Android Samsung Galaxy S6.

Evernote ver. 8.9

Screenshot_20190326-114012.thumb.png.7d66d4af6231e9d3632006d90b4bb7ac.png

Hope for a quick solution.

Mirtma65     40

Mirtma65

Also on Note9. When I start a search I get a blank screen and Sync started on the bottom left. After a while, I get a message that the application has crashed.

Since this problem seems to apply to users of the beta version, I'd suggest adding your voices to the report on it in the beta forum:

If it's a serious problem for you, it might be best to drop back from the 8.9 beta to the current released version, 8.8.

Bielefeldt     1

19 hours ago, Bielefeldt said:

The problems with searching for notes have started for approx. a week ago.

With over 4000 notes, I am completely dependent on the search function and use it many times daily.

But now search does not work even if it looks like it is working. There are no results.

My device is an Android Samsung Galaxy S6.

Evernote ver. 8.9

Screenshot_20190326-114012.thumb.png.7d66d4af6231e9d3632006d90b4bb7ac.png

Hope for a quick solution.

Solution:

It's a little weird, but if my keyword starts with capital letter, then the search function works.

It was a good discovery.

Same beta version here and I get the endless spinning wheel until the app finally times out and crashes.   Probably going to leave the beta over this since no search means Evernote is useless to me.

I have the same problem with Evernote search funtion on evernote version 8.9

I am using Samsung Galaxy Note 9 with Android Pie

Search Intitle:Ingles

Result: just a spinning circle.

I tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling. Didn't work.

I tried uninstalling and went to google play store to install the non-beta version but there wasn't one there.

How to I get an older version of Evernote?

BTW, the search function works on my pc

Update: May 6, 2019

I uninstalled Evernote version 8.9;
I Went to androidapksfree.com/evernote/com-evernote/download-old/evernote-8-8-1-/1082393 and downloaded.
I installed and turned off my playstore "autoupdates".
My searches work like a charm! Whew! Halaluya!

Edited by Got2Hike
I found a workable solution
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Everyone, 

Just wanted to give you a quick update on this. We've been seeing an increase in search issues reported on Android and our development team is aware of the problem and currently working on getting a fix for this out asap. I know how inconvenient this issue is to many of your workflows but we appreciate your continued patience and understanding while we work on releasing the fix.

Hector,

Thanks for the update, it does mean a lot to know that Evernote is still aware of this issue and the problems is causes for users.

It would help a great deal if someone from Evernote could address the question: when these problems were first reported, why not roll back the changes to the last known good version (probably < 8.9) -- if not for everyone via Play Store, then why not at least offer users a manual way to download and install the last known good version. Evernote could post the 8.8.x .apk file someplace, so we don't have to rely on services like https://evernote.en.uptodown.com/android/old who offer a complete set of past .apks, but leave us to take it on faith that the .apk's are...unmodified, shall we say...

I look forward to your response.

• 2 weeks later...

@Shane D. Thank you very much for following up!

I say cautiously that it appears to be fixed. It appears that the fix was accomplished by removing another, possibly less important feature: the ability to highlight reminders in the search results. I've detailed this in an update to "EN support ticket #2804215 screen shots and annotations" (look for the paragraph dated 5/17/2019.) If I had to chose between saved search working and the reminder highlight, I'd chose the former. Ideally I shouldn't have to chose.

Thanks again for your excellent follow-up Shane.

Edited by John in Michigan USA
help people find the update
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2019 at 5:29 AM, charley.rich@gartner.com said:

Search returns too many results, most of which don't match the search.  I am on the latest version of Evernote for Windows.  

Any suggestions?

I'm using Samsung Galaxy Note 4 with Android 6. I got same issue with you! Anybody can help me fix?