Web Client constant reloading

While using Chome Web Client on PC for the last 5 days, I get a frequent pop-up saying that "Note failed to update. There's been an error syncing your note. Please reload to resume editing." Clicking reload, reloads Evernote, the note is scrolled to the top and the very last changes were not auto-saved. This results in scrolling back to where I was and figuring out what saved/what didn't save. If I was typing a paper, starting my thought again at the bottom wouldn't be a big deal, but I'm editing code blocks (usually in the middle of a note).

Prior to this week, I've never had this sync issue, but this week, it happens quite frequently, sometimes within 10 seconds of each event. Is this happening to anyone else (3/18/19-3/22/19)?

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  No similar experience but I don't use the web client to any great extent.  Do you have any chance to copy the content of your note to a local word-processor and edit offline?

This isn't an ideal situation because formatting is changed when copying from between local word processor and Evernote.

I use the web client every day and yes, I've started seeing this happening, I think in the last week or so. I think it's only ever lost the very last few seconds of stuff I've entered but it is worrying. Sometimes I've been switching between other apps and come back to find the error, and not been entirely confident that the last thing was still there 😕

Hello, I been experiencing similar issues just starting this week. I been using the new evernote web for more than a month and just last week the error "Note failed to update, there's been and error syncing your note, Please reload to resume editing". I reloaded at first, but got better results just by canceling the screen, my content depending on how fast I enter data could be all or reduced to the last inputs I made. I did tested just switching to the older version and the error disappeared.

Hope whatever was improved this week on the new version can be turned back so recuperate the usual functionality. In the mentime, even if it is annoying, if I need the highlight feature I will switch keep myself logged on the new one. 

It's been third week for me. I'm starting to think that I'm somehow being targeted. I'm a user of basic subscription, but actively use Evernote. Really strange that other people do not experience the same.  

On 3/24/2019 at 3:40 PM, Fran2019 said:

Hello, I been experiencing similar issues just starting this week. I been using the new evernote web for more than a month and just last week the error "Note failed to update, there's been and error syncing your note, Please reload to resume editing". I reloaded at first, but got better results just by canceling the screen, my content depending on how fast I enter data could be all or reduced to the last inputs I made. I did tested just switching to the older version and the error disappeared.

Hope whatever was improved this week on the new version can be turned back so recuperate the usual functionality. In the mentime, even if it is annoying, if I need the highlight feature I will switch keep myself logged on the new one. 

I use snipping tool on PC Chrome Web Client (without Web Clipper), so the old editor doesn't work for me.

@gazumped could you test out the web client? So many of us are having issues, but we're not able to submit a ticket. My client just reloaded 6 times in a row, all within a few seconds of each other.

I hate to keep bumping this thread, but I just had to reload 10 times in 30 seconds, pasting the same image. If I didn't have it on my clipboard, it would have been lost!!

Edit: I waited a minute before adding any text and images and the client suddenly reloaded...now I've lost the image...

Edited by Jeshi
Lost the image
  • Level 5*
27 minutes ago, Jeshi said:

I hate to keep bumping this thread, but I just had to reload 10 times in 30 seconds, pasting the same image. If I didn't have it on my clipboard, it would have been lost!!

Just starting Evernote per your request from last night - we're mostly volunteer helpers around here,  so bumping isn't going to do any good and will just annoy the Admins (it's against Forum rules.)  Due respect - if it's not working,  then you need to find another way,  like the local-saves to third party software that I mentioned.  It may not be efficient or convenient but at least it works!

Just typing / pasting / DnD-ing into a note window in the web client - up to 15MB in PDF and PNG files plus text,  and it hasn't twitched on me yet...

Edit:  Now it's 15 minutes later,  and the app seems steady as a rock...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

There's a slightly older version, called current under settings in the web app.  It might be wroth a try unless you are already using it.  Then back to the newest version once the issues are ironed out.  To me current is much faster and more reliable than the newest version, referred to as Beta on that same settings page.  YMMV

On 3/27/2019 at 11:45 AM, gazumped said:

Just starting Evernote per your request from last night - we're mostly volunteer helpers around here,  so bumping isn't going to do any good and will just annoy the Admins (it's against Forum rules.)  Due respect - if it's not working,  then you need to find another way,  like the local-saves to third party software that I mentioned.  It may not be efficient or convenient but at least it works!

Just typing / pasting / DnD-ing into a note window in the web client - up to 15MB in PDF and PNG files plus text,  and it hasn't twitched on me yet...

Edit:  Now it's 15 minutes later,  and the app seems steady as a rock...

@gazumped Thank you for taking the time to respond. The main issue is not inconvenience, rather if I save a day's worth of notes on another client and then paste it into Evernote, there's no guarantee that one paste will save...I could wait several minutes for it to seem stable and then, the client reloads. For my current project, I'll accept the possibility of loss; for others, I may have to use another service. Thanks again for your patience.

22 hours ago, CalS said:

There's a slightly older version, called current under settings in the web app.  It might be wroth a try unless you are already using it.  Then back to the newest version once the issues are ironed out.  To me current is much faster and more reliable than the newest version, referred to as Beta on that same settings page.  YMMV

@CalS The older version doesn't support snipping tool paste (web clipper route isn't an option). Thanks for taking the time to respond :-)

• Ex Employees

@Jeshi I'm able to reproduce this issue, but only in the scenario where I have two editor windows open and I'm going back-and-forth editing in the different tabs. In that case, the message is accurate (though not really friendly). We're letting you know that the sync failed because there is newer content on the server and the window needs to be refreshed to display the latest content changes which occurred outside the editor.

Is it possible you are editing the same content anywhere else? I assume this probably is not the case, but helpful to at least rule out the scenario.

Can't talk for Jeshi of course, but when it happened to me it was a single tab only. Your description sounds similar to the circumstances surrounding the old duplicate notes issue, which i haven't experienced for a while - perhaps there was a fix for that which is now causing this (thinking of xhr requests arriving out-of-sequence at the server).

I have other extensions running (incl adblocker) but can't replicate this issue reliably enough to rule them out easily as i am rarely getting the error myself now.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm facing this problem too, I have tried whitelisting evernote.com since Scott suggested but it didn't work for me. Though the adblocker was not a problem earlier as it worked fine then with adblocker on. Hope this bug gets fixed soon.

On 3/29/2019 at 4:02 PM, Scott T. said:

@Jeshi I'm able to reproduce this issue, but only in the scenario where I have two editor windows open and I'm going back-and-forth editing in the different tabs. In that case, the message is accurate (though not really friendly). We're letting you know that the sync failed because there is newer content on the server and the window needs to be refreshed to display the latest content changes which occurred outside the editor.

Is it possible you are editing the same content anywhere else? I assume this probably is not the case, but helpful to at least rule out the scenario.

@Scott T. I only have one editor open (am not editing the same content anywhere else).

On 3/29/2019 at 4:04 PM, Scott T. said:

@Jeshi Can you also please let me know if you are running any Chrome plugins that might be interfering with the Evernote web application, such as an ad blocker?

@Scott T. I am running an ad blocker in incognito mode; this has worked previously without issue.

Hello Everyone,

I'm running into the same issue of constant reloading from past 3-4 days. Issue reads as follows: "There's been an error syncing your note. Please reload to resume editing". Has anyone figured out it yet? If yes, could you please share the fix. 

Thanks

• Level 5*
On 4/10/2019 at 5:58 AM, Sahithi said:

Hello Everyone,

I'm running into the same issue of constant reloading from past 3-4 days. Issue reads as follows: "There's been an error syncing your note. Please reload to resume editing". Has anyone figured out it yet? If yes, could you please share the fix. 

Thanks

Hi.  Have you tried the other web version (switch in Settings) or either version in a different browser?

• Ex Employees

@Jeshi Sorry for not responding at all. I was OOO all last week. We've got developers looking into the issue in this thread, which I think may be similar to what you're seeing? Just the error is slightly different because of being a different client.

Like I the other thread, can you provide any details on attributes of the notes that exhibit this behavior? Are they larger notes? Do they include attachments? Are you pasting in a large amount of data at once? We're trying to reproduce internally, but haven't found an exact set of steps that causes the issue. It may be something specific to certain types of notes.

4 hours ago, Scott T. said:

@Jeshi Sorry for not responding at all. I was OOO all last week. We've got developers looking into the issue in this thread, which I think may be similar to what you're seeing? Just the error is slightly different because of being a different client.

Like I the other thread, can you provide any details on attributes of the notes that exhibit this behavior? Are they larger notes? Do they include attachments? Are you pasting in a large amount of data at once? We're trying to reproduce internally, but haven't found an exact set of steps that causes the issue. It may be something specific to certain types of notes.

@Scott T. Thanks for having the dev team look into this. The issue occurs more frequently with larger notes. The first time I noticed this happening, I broke up the current note into separate ones. (Being curious just now, I checked "note details" and it's 15 mb - compare this to a minimal note of 800 bytes). The second note I noticed this happening, I started a third note - the second note started experiencing this issue at 6 mb. The third note is exhibiting the same behavior at 8mb.

Each time, I am pasting a single screenshot (either snipping tool on PC or the screenshot function on Mac) or I'm typing when I receive the "need to reload" message - so it's not addition of a ton of data. Let me know if I can provide any more info to help you debug.

On a separate note, I see a preview on one note (which means there is text in there - and not an image at the very beginning), but when I open the note into its own panel, it's white. I can't even click to add or remove text.

15 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Have you tried the other web version (switch in Settings) or either version in a different browser?

That's well worth trying - but do consider that you might lose nested list indenting if you do - there's a bug with the older web client and some browsers, so keep that in mind if you are a heavy user of indented lists (it only seems to affect notes that you edit while using the old version, so if you're only editing a test note it won't affect your other notes).

FWIW, I switched to the older version recently (more so because the new one wouldn't load at all for me for about a week) but I switched back as soon as I could due to the list formatting issue. I didn't experience this reload issue in that time, but I am only seeing it quite rarely now.

38 minutes ago, Jeshi said:

.... The issue occurs more frequently with larger notes. ....

FWIW, my notes tend to be around 10KB, and this issue is now only occurring very infrequently for me (maybe once in the last week).

15 hours ago, gazumped said:

@gazumped Yes, I tried switching to older versions and different browsers as well. It's still there. 

• Ex Employees

@Jeshi It definitely sounds like you're hitting the issue that our devs are looking into with regards to large notes and often with pasting in of large images. One of our support staff commented about this in the other thread.

@Ashley Gittins I'm glad you aren't running into the issue too much. We'll hopefully fix it soon. With regards to the bulleted list issue, I noted in another thread that the issue comes up with using the older client that we won't be fixing since we're focused on the new client and editor. I think you'll really like the new editor when it's ready. We're using it internally. It shows a lot of promise for addressing many feature requests (and bug requests) with the existing editor. 

Also, I'm happy to be more engaged with the community. It's not actually my main job, but since part of my job is around product quality, I think it's important I understand the issues the customers are encountering. It's already helped identify numerous bugs and usability issues that I've reported to our development teams.

• Like 1
On 4/3/2019 at 11:15 AM, Jay-Bob said:

Hello, our development team is still investigating this. However, it appears to be caused by uploading larger images or attachments. These can take some time to upload through the browser. If you upload a larger image or attachment and then quickly start adding text or editing the note, it seems to cause this sync notice to appear. It may happen more frequently when the note is longer and/or has many images/attachments in it.

Until this fully gets resolved (no ETA at the moment, but it is a priority), please try to be very slow and deliberate when adding larger images and attachments before resuming editing. This should hopefully help mitigate collisions in the meantime. Thank you for your help with providing the above information and for your patience while the development team gets to the bottom of this.

@Scott T. @Jay-Bob FYI, I've waited as long as five minutes after pasting before typing. Then, as soon as I typed a few words, I received the "Note failed to update. There's been an error syncing your note. Please reload to resume editing." message.

@Scott T. Indeed. Every time, I receive that error message (and reload), I lose whatever content I had after the last auto-save (usually between 3-7 words/images). This usually happens continuously, maybe 7 times in a row.

• Ex Employees

@Jeshi, just wanted to let you know the developers are actively looking into the issue. I'm sorry I can't provide more context than that, but wanted to make sure you knew that we weren't ignoring it. 

@Scott T. I'd like to reaffirm that this issue is happening to more users.  I'm on Linux, so I am only able to use the Web Client.  I have a note with a few images and I am frequently getting interrupted in my typing to reload the page.  I've tried using the unofficial Tusk client (v0.22) but that seems to give the same issues.  

• Ex Employees

@Visionline The last status I heard was that we had a potential fix ready to go out. We didn't have a release last week due to some special events internally. It should be going out this week. But, it's worth mentioning that we aren't actually able to reproduce the issue internally (we've definitely been trying), so the fix is based on a best guess of the issue by the development team. 

This happened to me when I was using the Web version. I was in a detailed offsite seminar, using a new Windows laptop (on which I had not had a chance to install the Evernote program locally), taking copious notes, and during the afternoon session I kept experiencing the error mentioned. I kept losing pieces of what I had entered. After a while I noticed that multiple versions of the note had been spawned through this process, and I ended up with four different versions. I couldn't take the time to evaluate which note, if any, contained the complete set of info, so I quickly opted to download the application and start up with whatever I could select as "the note," and carry on from there. This worked. I had no trouble when using the installed program, and it seemed to sync ok and save my content in that particular note. I was then able to come back to the office later and painstakingly do a side-by-side comparison among these four notes to make sure I assembled one note that contained all the content. Not sure if there was anything lost in this process, but I think I have everything. 

I assume the issue was an intermittent wifi glitch, but man, that's stressful. No one likes seeing their work literally disappear before their eyes! I don't think I'm ever going to use the web app again for anything but a one-shot note. Too much at risk. If the application itself remains stable as it seemed, I'll just make sure I put that on whatever computer I'm using first, and then go about my business from there. 

(And by the way, "merge notes", to me, does not mean the same as "append notes." Putting the four notes together one after the other in one note was not what I expected when I chose the option to "Merge notes!")

• 1 month later...

The fixed version is released? Any news?

Web application is unusable unfortunately and since I'm linux only user there is no native app as far as I know so I need to use web version or switch to something else. But I really like evernote!
I have got the following errors:

ion:rpc:utility:updateNoteIfUsnMatches {"message":"XHR error event","cause":{"message":"XHR error event","url":"https://www.evernote.com/shard/s233/utility"}}

ion:action:updateNote Unable to retry update for an unknown reason. lastServiceNote:

I think button or option like "Save only on demand" would solve the problem. This doesn't sound like a lot of work which is ideal workaround. Moreover it could save a lot of traffic and CPU on your servers 😝

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
23 minutes ago, djones369 said:

I write a few lines and then lose everything i typed causing it to be totally unusable!

Hi.  With any web-based writing I find it best to use a local editor like Notepad or Typora and get most of my document finished there.  I can then copy and paste into Evernote so the content gets indexed and attach the source file for later editing.

Plus there's an extension for most browsers (because this sort of thing happens,  apparently) - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/textarea-cache/chpphekfimlabghbdankokcohcmnbmab?hl=en

Or you could try the desktop version(s) for a better (??) experience.

• 1 year later...

experiencing the issue for the first time here before and after upgrading to monterey. 

i actually upgraded to monterrey thinking it'd solve for the issue, to no avail. 

i also tried re-installing evernote after deleting the desktop app completely to no avail. 

i experience this issue on the desktop app. 

the moment i start typing a note, the error pop-up appears

it's not possible for me to create a new note at all because, after the error comes up, the new note disappears. 

similarly, it's not possible to edit existing notes—the same error pops up the moment i start typing, and the note reverts back to its original state before editing. 

evernote is central to my work so this is obviously frustrating; and it's making me want to migrate to another app mid holidays. 

edit:
- i also fail to delete notes on the desktop app
- all works normal on the phone app
- i logged out from desktop app and allowed evernote to delete notes. rebooted, re-logged in to no avail

Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 9.11.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 9.11.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 9.14.29 AM.png

Edited by flavnyc
added more detail