My notes are dark (I'm not using dark themes)

The body text of my notes just turned dark gray a few days ago. I am not using the dark theme feature I even tried turning that feature on and off but it was no help. I also checked the notes settings but didn't see anything that could help. I don't know what is going on. Please help, screenshot included. 

Thank you

Screenshot_20190318-083605_Evernote.jpg

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If your notes look normal on other Evernote interfaces (e.g., in a Web browser), then they're OK, though obviously they're not usable on your phone this way. I'd suggest uninstalling Evernote and reinstalling it (assuming just restarting the phone doesn't fix it). Do a sync before you uninstall!! If you have any notebooks that have been marked as offline, you should temporarily return them to normal (syncable) status before you do this. Then reinstall Evernote, let it download its data, and hopefully things will be OK again. Your notes (except for offline ones) are not stored on the phone but on Evernote's servers, so they should be safe.

On 3/19/2019 at 1:02 PM, KeeMonTee said:

The body text of my notes just turned dark gray a few days ago. I am not using the dark theme feature I even tried turning that feature on and off but it was no help. I also checked the notes settings but didn't see anything that could help. I don't know what is going on. Please help, screenshot included. 

Thank you

Screenshot_20190318-083605_Evernote.jpg

I'm having the same issue. It's nearly impossible to use right now with the dark gray background and black text. Hope this is fixed soon. I just purchased a full year of Premium right before this happened.

• Like 1
On 3/20/2019 at 10:43 AM, KeeMonTee said:

Yes I have an Android Galaxy S8. I did post on the Android Board 2 days ago and got NO responses so I posted here. I deleted the other post if that will get me help. 

I have the same problem too. Also a Galaxy S8 that recently underwent a Android Pie upgrade.

Me thinks Evernote wasn't ready to handle Android P on older phone models. In the meantime I'm resorting to using alternative note-taking apps.

• Level 5

@KeeMonTee, what version of Android are you on? If a reinstall hasn't fixed it and other users are experiencing it, it will probably need attention from Evernote tech support. Unfortunately, AFAIK Basic users are limited to requesting support via Evernote's Twitter account. If you're willing to subscribe to Premium for one month, you can get access to full support that way. You can cancel and go back to Basic at the end of the month.

Hi everybody!

I had the same problem with a Note 8 after the update to the new Android.

NIGHT MODE was not activated, but it seemed it was, because the SETTINGS panel was dark... So I tried to activate it IMMEDIATELY. It wouldn't... Then I tried to activate it with the other option, played a little with those little switches and... bang! NIGHT MODE deactivated, settings panel lightened up and Evernote notes returned to the original state. 

Problem solved.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Which update is this? IOW, which version of Evernote for Android are you using? Is it by any chance the beta?

Or is it the Android Q beta (with which Evernote's current Android version has known problems)?

Same issue here. Never used dark mode on my Samsung Galaxy S7; just suddenly happened.  (Smells like background color is not being properly set and perhaps assumed the default from the dark mode theme.)

Evernote v. 8.9

Android v. 8.0.0. 

Been using Evernote desktop since at least 2012.  I understand the difficulties in dealing with multiple platforms, but this is still very disappointing.

I'll backup and reinstall and see. 

--- 

Reinstalled but the problem is still there. ☹

• Level 5
12 hours ago, aenw said:

Same issue here. Never used dark mode on my Samsung Galaxy S7; just suddenly happened.  (Smells like background color is not being properly set and perhaps assumed the default from the dark mode theme.)

Evernote v. 8.9

V. 8.9 is the beta, correct? Would it be possible to revert to the current public release, v. 8.8?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

V. 8.9 is the beta, correct? Would it be possible to revert to the current public release, v. 8.8?

No, it's the current public version. I installed the current version from Google Play.  There's no indication anywhere that it's a beta.

(And Evernote is working on this bug - so whatever version it's in, it needs to be fixed.)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5
18 hours ago, aenw said:

No, it's the current public version. I installed the current version from Google Play.  There's no indication anywhere that it's a beta.

(And Evernote is working on this bug - so whatever version it's in, it needs to be fixed.)

OK, guess it hasn't rolled out to where I am yet.

• Like 1

Samsung S8, Android 9, Evernote version 8.9

Someone should really work on this ASAP because it's a show-stopper glitch. I'm literally unable to see any of my notes with a black on black font/background. As far as the current state goes, Evernote on Android is completely dead to me, and impossible to use.

• Like 1

I have the exact same problem using Evernote on my new Samsung Galaxy S10 when in "Night Mode". If I turn off Night Mode, then the background of my Evernote note cards are back to white. So, this must be a bug in the Evernote app for Android. Evernote developers, please fix this! Thanks.

Android  8.0 MOTO Z Force Droid

Evernote 8.9

Notes are grayed out, dark as of today, Saturday Mar 30, 2019

No change on windows version.

Uninstalled/reinstalled.

Turned Android Dark Mode on/off.

Cleared cache, etc.

Screenshot_20190330-154420.png

I submitted a bug report for this a few days ago.

I'm frankly shocked that there has not been any official Evernote response here.  This lack of transparency and communication is really inexcusable.  It shows a profound lack of interest in customers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It looks like the latest update fixed it for me.

I'm not sure what they updated cos the version remains unchanged at 8.9, but i most certainly received a new update on Google Play.

Thanks for the fix!

44 minutes ago, John in Michigan USA said:

Although my symptoms are different, I have noticed the same confusion about version number 8.9 and/or beta software. See my comments here and here. Hat tip: @Dave-in-Decatur

Have never joined any beta program for any app whatsoever. Much less Evernote which stores important notes that I wouldn't trust a beta version with.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems to be fixed now.

It's showing version: 8.9 on my Samsung.

I'm still really unhappy with the entire way this was handled.  No one from Evernote responded here to acknowledge the problem, to let us know if it was actually being addressed, or that it was fixed.  

Even with the bug report I submitted, their response was lacking. After I submitted it, I got a response saying it was being worked on.  And then the support request was closed!  (I was never asked if I had anything more to say or wanted more info.)  I asked that it be re-opened until it was actually fixed, and they did that.  Except then --- the request was closed again, and again without asking or notifying me. This is really poor customer interaction. 

I've been paying for Evernote for many years, but they've lost me.  I used to heartily recommend it, but no more.  Too bad -- they had such potential. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2019 at 8:57 PM, CristiPro said:

Hi everybody!

I had the same problem with a Note 8 after the update to the new Android.

NIGHT MODE was not activated, but it seemed it was, because the SETTINGS panel was dark... So I tried to activate it IMMEDIATELY. It wouldn't... Then I tried to activate it with the other option, played a little with those little switches and... bang! NIGHT MODE deactivated, settings panel lightened up and Evernote notes returned to the original state. 

Problem solved.

Hello, @CristiPro.

Thank you for the FIX. Have a Samsung S8... did not realize I had enabled DARK MODE... G-searched and found HowToGeek article "How to Enable a Night Mode in Android to Reduce Eyestrain" to accelerate my learning curve... disabled NITE MODE... opened EN... and voilà!!!... white background was back in business!!!

A superdeeduper thank you!

I hope this proves helpful to others in pain! LOL!

~ Alan