Clipped emails should record From: and To: (and other metadata)

doonyakka

Idea

I'm regularly frustrated by the fact that, unless the body of an email contains the sender's and recipient's email addresses, there's no way to find out this information in clipped emails (at least those clipped from the client I use, which is Postbox). Headers should (perhaps optionally) be included in clipped emails, but it's mind-boggling that the From: and To: fields aren't stored somewhere in the clipped email by default, and that there's no way to do this (except by manually copying and pasting these fields into a note). Please implement at least this last feature. Thanks. 

7 replies to this idea

I use the built-in Clipper add-on in Postbox, which is much quicker than forwarding the email to my Evernote address (just one click). It's just not very well thought out in this regard, but maybe it's something for Postbox devs, rather than Evernote.

• Level 5*
On 3/15/2019 at 4:23 AM, doonyakka said:

I use the built-in Clipper add-on in Postbox

Headers should (perhaps optionally) be included in clipped emails, but it's mind-boggling that the From: and To: fields aren't stored somewhere in the clipped email by default, and that there's no way to do this (except by manually copying and pasting these fields into a note). Please implement at least this last feature. Thanks. 

Where are you expecting this metadata to be stored?

Macs have no email clipper; 
I use scripting for mail>evernote and to extract the metadata.
- the email is stored in both .eml and .pdf formats
- Subject, From, To, ... are identified and stored within the note contents
- note title stores the Subject
- a tag stores the From id

1383320153_ScreenShot2019-03-15at07_28_17.png.da2eb6d41fe00b5972b2beae85a7c283.png

22 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Where are you expecting this metadata to be stored?

Anywhere in the note would do. At the moment, clipping with the Postbox add-on loses all metadata but, as I said, this add-on might be the responsibilty of Postbox rather than Evernote. I'll check with Postbox support, though they're notoriously unresponsive.

• Level 5*
On 3/15/2019 at 7:49 AM, doonyakka said:

Anywhere in the note would do. At the moment, clipping with the Postbox add-on loses all metadata but, as I said, this add-on might be the responsibilty of Postbox rather than Evernote.

I agree - it's a Postbox thing;
for clippers, it's possible Evernote isn't even aware there is an email

Using the Evernote email forwarding feature, I get
1871056908_ScreenShot2019-03-15at08_59_26.png.cd94c20fe3adf6a4bdd345d5ea1107dd.png

Evernote is aware there's an email, but only parses for the subject and stores it as the note title.

The contents are formatted by the email client.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, doonyakka said:

I'm regularly frustrated by the fact that, unless the body of an email contains the sender's and recipient's email addresses, there's no way to find out this information in clipped emails (at least those clipped from the client I use, which is Postbox). Headers should (perhaps optionally) be included in clipped emails, but it's mind-boggling that the From: and To: fields aren't stored somewhere in the clipped email by default,

I agree.  The problem I have is when sending an email (via MS Outlook) and I bcc my Evernote account, Evernote does NOT put the email header info into the body of the Note.  What I expect, and would like to request, is that Evernote put the same info (that almost all email clients do when forwarding email) at the top of the Note body, like this:

From: Evernote User Forum <noreply@invisioncloudcommunity.com>
Reply-To: Evernote User Forum <noreply@discussion-notification.evernote.com>
Date: Friday, March 15, 2019 at 6:23 AM
To: JMichaelTX <JMichaelTX@SomeDomain.com>
Subject: Clipped emails should record From: and To: (and other metadata)

Thanks.

• Level 5*
On 3/15/2019 at 10:10 AM, JMichaelTX said:

bcc my Evernote account, Evernote does NOT put the email header info into the body of the Note.

Evernote's email feature works well for forwarded email,
but it's a paid account feature and as you noted, there's no mail headers processing.
This is a problem for bcc email; also direct email using a user's enernote address.

There's a request for the email feature posted at 

Archived