Why am I unable to move a notebook to a stack?

I have stacks that are already created with other notebooks in them. I am unable to create a new notebook *in* a stack. Nor can I move a notebook into a stack. I have tried both the current version and apparently the beta version for Windows and they both have the same problem. Where has all the usability gone in Evernote? I am very disappointed. This is something that shouldn't be a problem at the stage of development Evernote *was* at before it got "improved". :(

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*

In the "current version", I can certainly create a new stack by dragging a notebook in the notebook list onto another notebook that's not already in a stack, or add a notebook to a stack by dragging it to a notebook that's in a stack or onto the stack itself. As for the web beta, well, it's a beta, and advertised as not feaure-complete yet.

Click and drag does not work for me. I can drag it to another stack just above it but it won't scroll. And then when I try to drag into the stack where I want it it reverts back to the main list instead. The problem is worse in the new version. For me. I guess I am alone on this. On to Plan B. Thank you anyway.

BTW, I also tried dragging a note into another note to create a new stack. Then I tried dragging the note into the stack I want and it reverts back to the main list.

Edited by KBo1
Additional step I tried to workaround my problem.
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*

Note: I did try these operations before I posted earlier. I see things working pretty much correctly, or at least as designed. You need to pay attention to what the text on the right-hand side of the green bar that represents the notebook you're dragging. It says things like "Add to stack", "Remove from stack", and "Create stack" as you drag over various targets. There doesn't appear to be a "Move to new stack" or equivalent, for when you were moving a notebook from one stack to another; the text said "Remove from stack", and it did remove the notebook from its original stack.

So to summarize, you can:

• drag a notebook to another notebook that's not part of an existing stack; the text should read "Create stack", and if you drop, you'll be prompted to enter the new stack's name
  • drag a notebook from a stack to a location outside of its stack; the text should read "Remove from stack"
  • drag a notebook that's not in a stack to a notebook that's in a stack, or a stack; the text should read "Add to stack"
  • I did see scrolling, but it seems a little slow, and moreover, I don't have a huge number of notebooks, so scroll amount was pretty small.

So not perfect, but you can move notebooks in and out of stacks.

• 1 month later...

Hey DTLow, thanks for helping.

By Notebook page do you mean the page with title 'Notebooks' and 'My notebook list'?
This is where I see my list of notebooks and stacks... is there another notebook page?

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, cshaw87 said:

By Notebook page do you mean the page with title 'Notebooks' and 'My notebook list'?
This is where I see my list of notebooks and stacks... is there another notebook page?

That's the page.  It might help if you identify your device/platform.

For reference I am using evernote web client with latest chrome under windows 10.

On the notebook screen I can drag and drop notes between notebooks, but I cannot do the same with notebooks between stacks.
The 'Move To' option for notebooks is also grayed out.

I've resorted to temporarily switching back to old web client to perform notebook moves.

Thanks for the help anyways!

• 1 month later...

Same problem for me--I have stacks on my laptop, and on my phone.  When I access the web client at work, all the folders are just thrown in a big pile.  

In my opinion, this is a huge step backwards, and that functionality should have been incorporated into the new version before releasing it.

Easiest solution for me was to click on my user icon, and then select "use earlier version of Evernote."

• Like 1

I am running version 7.6 and have been using Evernote for quite some time. I have a number of stacks with multiple notebooks in each. Recently, I have been unable to add new notebooks to a stack. When I create the notebook and then click/drag it to the stack I would like to add it, nothing happens. I do not get any option to ADD/REMOVE/CREATE whatsoever. I even seem to have lost the ability to CREATE a new stack.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have encountered a total clusterfuck.

I am unable to drag a notebook into a stack, and when I try to do it through 'actions' the 'Move to...' option is greyed out.

I tried to use the (windows) desktop app to do it and even after troubleshooting I cant get it to sync my notes, so the notebook I want to move isnt even there.

????

Edit: I just realised I could switch back to the old version of the webapp and that allowed me to move the notebook. But still wtf is going on

• Level 5*
On 3/10/2019 at 10:12 PM, cammylee said:

I have encountered a total clusterfuck.

I am unable to drag a notebook into a stack, and when I try to do it through 'actions' the 'Move to...' option is greyed out.

I tried to use the (windows) desktop app to do it and even after troubleshooting I cant get it to sync my notes, so the notebook I want to move isnt even there.

????

Edit: I just realised I could switch back to the old version of the webapp and that allowed me to move the notebook. But still wtf is going on

Yeah, the only web app that works is the Current version.  You were probably on the beta.

May want to edit the charlie foxtrot out of your post...

On the new version update (Evernote Mac desktop version 7.9) (457564 App Store) seems that the ability to move notebooks inside stacks is not working anymore?! This is so frustrating and annoying!!  :( 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Ryokan said:

On the new version update (Evernote Mac desktop version 7.9) (457564 App Store) seems that the ability to move notebooks inside stacks is not working anymore?! This is so frustrating and annoying!!  :( 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Ryokan said:

Same problem on Evernote Mac desktop version 7.9 (457564 App Store). This is frustrating and annoying!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, meredithmorin said:

Yep I cant drag and drop notebooks to make stacks.. VERY frustrating, thinking ill have to give up evernote.

You are probably using the Evernote web beta, which doesn't support this (see https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209006027). You should probably switch to the "current" version. From the link above:

How do I switch back to the previous version of Evernote Web?

Click your name in the upper left corner of the browser window, then select “Switch to older version of Evernote” from the dropdown menu.

• 8 months later...
  • Ex Employees

FWIW, the new web client DOES support stacks. You can't drag and drop a notebook onto another notebook to create a new stack, though. That requires initially adding one of the notebooks to a stack via the "..." menu in the Notebook view. But once you have a stack, you can drag additional notebooks into the stack.

Here's a video.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

I'm using the Evernote App on my Mac - but hopefully this will resolve the issue for everyone!

I've found that you can't drag & drop directly from the left column (which is what I was trying to do). In order to drag a notebook into a stack, you have to click on Notebooks from the left column, and drag & drop to move notebooks in the window on the right. This is the "Notebook List" view that some instructions include.

In the screenshot, I clicked +New Notebook to create my Air Fryer Recipes notebook, that I can now drag & drop into my Keto recipes folder - to create the Air Fryer subfolder.

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 9.38.18 AM.png