Dragable lists

dmcritchie

A lot of user time is wasted on not having solutions, and going around in circles, so rather than try to place some answers on my own archived note (not allowed), or into an eight page discussion note, here are what is being asked for in sorting within a note, along with some time consuming workaround solutions in the meantime.

Evernote is supposed to help you organize your notes, but it is not helping you to organize the content within a note, which is critical to organization.  You have tables, unordered lists, ordered lists,  check lists, even word lists separated by commas or spaces, and you should be able to organize them alphabetically without having to do it without help from the application.    

One word of warning though, one person wanted to be able to sort automatically,  and that would be a bad idea, as you won't be able to see what you are doing or continue entering without interruption, or seeing what you've added or are working on.  

I provided a clear example of a list that contained hyperlinks.  This is something that should be available and done within Evernote, forcing users to do this manually or externally is a big waste of users time.

However since Evernote will not do this for us, here are some ways of handling this yourself.  Some are very convoluted and nothing really is going to handle data with links well unless done within the application.
Understanding what can be done elsewhere is most likely to lead to a clear definition of what is needed.   When I actually did the example in the request for enhancement I used a bookmarklet [href:] to carry the link after the wording, and then had to add insert the link back in afterwards (Ctrl+K in Windows).   Basically each line orrow needs a text key and a rich text component to be placed after sorting.  Think of how much time would be wasted trying to do this for 200 items, or multiple lists.    And I think this is something that would be acceptable just from desktop or laptop but not from small devices without keyboards, just like keyboard shortcuts,   context menus, and horizontal lines that are not available on small devices, but can be seen and modified from any device.

My other enhancement request, may not look related, but I can generate data that I need in HTML format using "Multiple Tab Handler" (Firefox extension) from Browser Meta tags for a selection of tabs,  and if I could paste it directly into Evernote I could create some lists quickly in one step.  And in the case of tabs I can even sort  them beforehand with another Firefox extension, but it would be nice to not have to rely on workarouds.

Feel free to add additional workarounds or other things, if any, within a note that need sorting.

David McRitchie

How to use Word offline to sort a list in Evernote:

Since I do have MS Word, I will use Word for sorting unordered & ordered lists:

Directions for sorting in Word from  How to Sort Lists in Word or Excel, A free web site designed to put words in alphabetical order. Sort video, movie, and television titles, alphabetize by last name, capitalize words, ignore articles, number lists, and much more!
  1. Select the text in a bulleted or numbered list. (can contain embedded hyperlinks)
  2. On the Home tab, in the Paragraph group, click Sort.
  3. In the Sort Text dialog box, under Sort by, click Paragraphs and Text, and then click either Ascending or Descending.
  4. Afterwards: Paste sorted list or portion back into Evernote

Picture (83KB) of selection just before sorting, using  Word 2007 in Windows, data from example in (Archived) Feature Request - Sorting lists (bulleted, ordered, checkbox) by text - Evernote General Discussions - Evernote User Forum

Just want to point out that this is a workaround that can handle items that include and retain hyperlinks in any position, and should be in Evernote.  For workarounds simply working with plain text, I would use one of the "online forms" available in any web browser, links are in initial posting, and both allow you to specify a separator such as a line break.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2015-07-27 (Mon) at 9:03 PM, dmcritchie said:

Feel free to add additional workarounds or other things, if any, within a note that need sorting.

David McRitchie

For Mac users out there, you can use Automator to create an OS X Service which invokes the "sort" command in a shell script to sort simple plain text lists. I posted the instructions elsewhere in these forums and also the info is available here at the most excellent Mac OS Automation dot com site. It's also possible now in Automator to write a JavaScript function and have the Service run that if one wishes to create a more robust solution.

Anyway, my point on this thread is that this kind of feature shortfall in Evernote's main product is like one more spear that lies imbedded (for years now!) in the side of the once-venerable Elephant (EN) and, added to the many other spears already there, are causing the beast to finally stumble and fall. What a shame! Too much focus on marketing new and fancy niche products instead of working hard to keep the core product ahead of the competition and encouraging people to pay a small subscription for it. I pay for EN and I wish the best for the great Elephant; I only hope that EN's new management can simplify the product line and bring EN back to full health once again!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Level 5*
34 minutes ago, phranqburke said:

Almost 14 months later and still no ability to sort text within a note.  Apparently, the Evernote development team is deaf.

The Evernote development team is not deaf. Note that quantity and/or impassionment of user suggestions doesn't guarantee that features will be implemented. Moving this to the product feedback area, so other users can vote on it.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

+1 

This should be a no-brainer.  
Just highlight the text portion you want to sort, click on an Icon A->Z or Z->A, and done. 
I need this definitely to organize lists I keep within one note.  

• Level 5*

If it's urgently required I'd suggest you keep your lists in MSWord or some other WP software and sort within it.  Attach the file to a note and copy/ past the content or export to PDF if you need to see the it inline.  Evernote (yet) doesn't offer sorting,  and won't (usually) comment on whether or when it might be available.

• Level 5*
On 2017-05-29 at 11:24 AM, jutuiz said:

This should be a no-brainer.  
Just highlight the text portion you want to sort, click on an Icon A->Z or Z->A, and done. 
I need this definitely to organize lists I keep within one note.  

Sorting is a feature I also need

I agree, no-brainer592f466f2ebf5_ScreenShot2017-05-31at3_40_13PM.png.5feef55edd96e42724cfcd1e1836ff37.png

My solution was to add the WordService extensions on my Mac

• Level 5*

I totally agree that Evernote should provide at least basic sorting capability.
Until/IF they do, I encourage all who need sorting now to read the OP:

On 7/27/2015 at 2:03 AM, dmcritchie said:

However since Evernote will not do this for us, here are some ways of handling this yourself.  Some are very convoluted and nothing really is going to handle data with links well unless done within the application.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, deyo246 said:

I mean, adding a sort feature isn't rocket science?

More like computer science

The request has been posted.  All we can do is convince Evernote this is a priority for the user base
Voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion59a2ccd42c962_ScreenShot2017-08-27at06_44_30.png.fd4c63f5fbafde2df3a4390094c89ae0.png

16 minutes ago, DTLow said:

More like computer science - absolutely agree on that. Didn't mean to underestimate computer science.

The request has been posted.  All we can do is convince Evernote this is a priority for the user base - Agree, doing feedback for EN for more than a year on Twitter wall and DM. 
Voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion59a2ccd42c962_ScreenShot2017-08-27at06_44_30.png.fd4c63f5fbafde2df3a4390094c89ae0.png I voted!

• 7 months later...

Utterly disappointed sorting doesn't work within a note. Amateur comes to mind. Like many other things in E.N., improvements are just never offered. Working within a note has not changed at ll ever since I joined many years ago.

But I'm still here, and paying may Pro fee every year. Because what works is nice.

Al.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I didn't realize this idea had been hanging around for so long.

It seems the EN developers have never actually worked real jobs. For most of us, sorting info is not a nice-to-have, it's a must-have.

And i agree with a comment above: Adding new products needs to be a lower priority to improving current products. I pay for EN (gladly), but some features are essential, and missing. 

Please add sorting of lists within notes. Their must be a snippet available online.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, edenuk said:

I'd really like a new type of note where items in a list can be easily draggable to change the order. A bit like Trello.

You can now do this in Windows.  Hover over the bullet or number and drag and drop.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived