Verbal Dictation has taken a sharp decline

leahjo5

Idea

I used to marvel at how incredibly my Evernote was able to capture, verbatim, my verbal notes when I used the dictation/microphone setting. It was a fantastic feature to use if I wanted to translate book notes to the page, as it's often quicker to dictate them than type. However, recently this feature has taken a sharp decline. After capturing my words, it seems the program tries to translate them into "making sense" and goes back and changes words and entire phrases completely. I waste so much time now correcting the notes that it's hardly worth using this feature anymore. Please put it back to how it was! It's so frustrating to see the program capture my words perfectly then go into some weird autocorrect and destroy the entire phrase, replacing words and phrases completely. This feature was working so nicely before, this seems to be a major backstep.

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5

What Evernote interface are you using (Web, Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, etc.)? AFAIK, Evernote itself does not have a voice-to-text feature, but I only mainly use the Windows and Android programs. In Android, the on-screen keyboard I use has a little microphone button. When I tap that, I get voice-to-text, but it is done by Google, not Evernote itself. And yeah, I've also noticed some degradation in this lately.

• Level 5

The technical side is similar with iOS: Tapping the microphone symbol will activate dictation through Siri. So if dictation quality sucks, the problem is most likely found with the service (Google, Alexa, Cortana, Siri, ...) used as a front end for the transcription, or with the hardware. 

Archived