Can EDIT button be turned off for an existing note?

When you open an existing note in Evernote Android, the edit button appears in bottom right corner. Is there a way to turn this feature on/off?

I am aware that it will become easier to create mistakes with unwanted editing.

Thanks, Chris

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, seebee said:

So are you saying that there is no way to turn this off within Evernote?

Right - nothing in the UI to prevent editing

And unlike Android, the other platforms don't have an edit switch.  Accessing a note launches us into edit mode.

'tis a pity there's no choice.

Personally,  I find the edit button major disincentive to create notes in the first place. In my lot as a building contractor, a single note has a lot of text/pic info that is recorded about a building site. These notes put any bit of important info right in front of me. Internal links are wonderful,  but I don't always get the chance to create these until I am back in the office.

What I do notice is that when you want to add/change a note on a smartphone, 2/3rds  of the screen is taken up with keyboard which makes it,  as I  say,  a disincentive to use the note.  Of course I  can create a new note,  but I like an app to work with me,  not for me to work around it. 

Well, I have somehow overridden it, but I'm not sure how.

If I open a note on Android and select text, I can edit directly while bypassing the edit icon. Don't tell any developers please, they may change it!

The big advantage here is that when you hit the edit icon inside a long text note, the screen refreshes to another position meaning that you have to find your location again.

• Level 5
50 minutes ago, seebee said:

Well, I have somehow overridden it, but I'm not sure how.

If I open a note on Android and select text, I can edit directly while bypassing the edit icon. Don't tell any developers please, they may change it!

The big advantage here is that when you hit the edit icon inside a long text note, the screen refreshes to another position meaning that you have to find your location again.

In the current version of the Android app, simply tapping on a note will enter editing mode, with the cursor placed at the point tapped.

• 1 year later...
On 3/8/2019 at 5:20 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

In the current version of the Android app, simply tapping on a note will enter editing mode, with the cursor placed at the point tapped.

wow, you're right!  I take back all the 4 letter words I've been saying the last hour.

• Like 1