Improve "search feature" in evernote

rafalkoehler@gmail.com

Idea

8 replies to this idea

I agree - the search results can be pretty terrible. One of the biggest problems is that it doesn't prioritise the matching of words in the title of a note. For example, I have a note with the title "TV". When I do a "Most relevant to least relevant" search, I expect that note to be right at the top seeing as it's the only one with "TV" in the title. Instead, I get a bunch of irrelevant notes with the word "TV" somewhere in the body.

I hear that the new CEO is going to fix a bunch of issues in Evernote. Please make this one of them. It's absolutely fundamental.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Roginator said:

I expect that note to be right at the top seeing as it's the only one with "TV" in the title. Instead, I get a bunch of irrelevant notes with the word "TV" somewhere in the body.

I expect the notes will be listed  in the specified sequence (date or title)

I can specify search intitle:TV and the list will be restricted to notes with "TV" in the title

The search feature is documented at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828

That's what I expect too. As I said, when I do a "Most relevant to least relevant" search, I expect the most relevant note to appear at the top. And the most relevant note is most likely a note with that word in the title.

I know you can do an intitle search but a) it shouldn't be necessary when you do a relevancy search and b) it's clunky and inconvenient.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
38 minutes ago, Roginator said:

"Most relevant to least relevant" search

This is actually a sequence option on Macs.

There's no documentation as to the algorithm behind the sequence267893683_ScreenShot2019-03-09at07_22_55.png.ac94e402cfac9f32a0fa094edca34bf1.png

On 3/5/2019 at 10:40 AM, Roginator said:

I agree - the search results can be pretty terrible. One of the biggest problems is that it doesn't prioritise the matching of words in the title of a note. For example, I have a note with the title "TV". When I do a "Most relevant to least relevant" search, I expect that note to be right at the top seeing as it's the only one with "TV" in the title. Instead, I get a bunch of irrelevant notes with the word "TV" somewhere in the body.

I totally agree with this. Personally I would like Evernote to show the notes with the search terms in the title first - or or least have an option to enable that for people who want it.

For example it makes no sense to me to not show me the note which I have specifically titled "bike" when I search for "bike" - but to have it way down the list somewhere below lots of other notes which happen to have "bike" in the note body somewhere.

I have loads of options to sort the results by lots of different things - including title - but that still does not prioritise the notes with the actual search term I've asked for in the title.

I know about "intitle:" to only search in titles - but I think Evernote should prioritise these by default (or at least give us an option to choose to do that). Currently I'm having to type "intitle:"for every single search that I do as that's the only way I can get Evernote to find the note I'm looking for....the note that I've specifically gone to the trouble of giving a sensible title so I can find it... 

Also I've just noticed...I was using the Windows client - but I've just tried this with the web client and that works differently - that _does_ show notes with the search term in the title first. I'd like the Windows client to do the same. The Android client also works as it shows notes/tags/notebooks with the search term when you are typing (before you hit enter) - which is fine too. All clients should have consistency - and I would prefer to make it easier to find notes from the text in the title - so I'd like the Windows client updating to match the web/Android client - or at least give us an option to enable that.

Please comment here if you agree so Evernote will see people want this to change.

• Thanks 1