Native Markdown Support

brampeirs

Idea

I'm paying for many years now.

I actually cannot believe that EN still seems to be thinking about implementing markdown or not.

People won't tell you, but they will just leave to somewhere else. 

Poor support for MS Office content is one thing, as I can imagine it is not easy to keep up to date with their changes.
But a minimalistic, widespread format as markdown should really be a no-brainer.

I also consider it as a very poor customer relationship behavior to not continuously inform the user base on plans. I see signs that further development/improvement is slowed down and it is not much invested into the product anymore. Just cash in and hoping existing users fear the migration efforts. That would be the beginning of the end. We've seen this behavior before with other tools...

Another few months, and I'm most probably gone.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, EffBee said:

Poor support for MS Office content is one thing

This should be posted as a separate request, but I'm curious about the "MS Office content" reference
I have no problem storing MS Office documents as attachments in my notes (along with Markdown files)

On 10/18/2019 at 10:12 AM, jefito said:

Dunno about PR, but the real question is how much money would it add to the bottom line vs how much would it cost to add it and how much they might lose by implementing something else. In other words, the usual calculations that development companies make all the time.

I guess they're not considering how much customer retention they're losing for not having a core feature to many. That's probably more important than gaining new clients.

On 10/18/2019 at 10:12 AM, jefito said:

So the question here is what do you mean by adding Markdown? If you mean Markdownish shortcuts to produce specific formatting,

Yes, markdown shortcuts is exactly what I want. Nuclino (project management Wiki app) has that exact functionality, and possibly the best example I can think of. Formatting headings takes way too long for productive clean notes on Evernote. 

I actually use Marxico, but deeply prefer a good native solution.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, eayllon1 said:

Yes, markdown shortcuts is exactly what I want.

I'm actually seeing some markdownish shortcuts in the Evernote editor    
They're not well received by the general user base; we see many "how do I turn this off" posts    
The original request is for native support, as in the markdown code would be preserved

The latest shortcuts in the web beta set heading styles

• Level 5

Yes, I would like to get markdown editing as well. I have voted in favor of this some time ago.

Since it seems not clear what is meant: For my usecase, I am collecting stuff in EN. Then I go and prepare some publishing in a blogpost or on my website. I would prefer to be able to write this down directly in EN using markdown, then copy and paste into the web editor without a need to touch it there. This would streamline the research - collect - write - edit- publish- process for me.

But if I do not get markdown, the world is still turning, the sun rising, the birds singing ...

And EN is still my tool to organize information for me.

So, markdown please, because it would be nice to close this thread for good.

• Level 5*
On 11/23/2019 at 12:51 PM, eayllon1 said:

I guess they're not considering how much customer retention they're losing for not having a core feature to many. That's probably more important than gaining new clients.

My guess is that they actually have a fair idea of what it's costing them, and also what it would cost (time/money) to implement, and they haven't been able to do it yet because of that. But we're both guessing here, aren't we?

On 11/23/2019 at 12:51 PM, eayllon1 said:

Yes, markdown shortcuts is exactly what I want. Nuclino (project management Wiki app) has that exact functionality, and possibly the best example I can think of. Formatting headings takes way too long for productive clean notes on Evernote. 

They already have some of this in at least the Windows client; adding more would be a lot easier than implementing a full Markdown round-tripping solution (which appears to be what other folks want), and -- providing you could also disable them -- not be bothersome to those who don't need Markdown.

I think if Evernote is not going to support this standard, I have to take my attention to a product that does.
For the sake of transparency, what do the dev teams definf as the most difficult aspect of integrating
Markdown with Evernote. I've resisted subscribing to Evernote because it is not  robust enough to
commit all my time. My workflow needs to be smooth for it to be useful and economical for my time.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Ken.I. said:

For the sake of transparency, what do the dev teams definf as the most difficult aspect of integrating
Markdown with Evernote.

I haven't seen any feedback from developers on this integration
I know the majority of users are unwilling to fund development for this product

I would also love to see markdown if y'all can figure out how to make it work well.  But... I think the reason it isn't implemented is fairly obvious: Markdown has 2 distinct modes, authoring (with markdown syntax) and viewing (with rendered styles). Notes are meant to be edited and read and changed and used as you go.  "Note taking" is not the same thing as "authoring", and writing Markdown is definitely a form of "authoring".

I'll be migrating by 1400 Notes to a nn app that supports markdown unless Evernote commit for include this ubiquitous feature in a forthcoming release. I don't see what the problem is: arrogance ,stubbornness, we know better than the market. This is how all apps die...

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Feliope Largo said:

app that supports markdown

My favourite markdown app is Typora, on a Mac

>>migrating by 1400 Notes

Evernote's base format is enml (basically html), but attachments can be any format
I'm not familiar with any converter services    
My approach for markdown notes is to use .md files, stored in Evernote as attachments

>> I don't see what the problem is

Neither do I.  I'm able to chose whichever editor is best for the job

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

@Feliope Largo thanks for posting your position. I am supporting the idea of including markdown into the EN editor as well.

Just one more thought: You write about the market, ignoring customers etc. Currently you are using EN on a free account. Thus you are no part of a market, because it is defined as exchanging value / money against goods / services. And you are no customer, for the same reason. You are a user, and have a voice here, that’s o.k. For me your vote would carry more weight if you would as well contribute to the cost of the development you desire.

5 years since the initial request has been posted and Evernote still hasn't supported lol.

I am going to switch to some other note applications. Can anyone kindly provide some suggestions? So far I just know Typora is a pretty nice and lightweight option.

On 1/4/2020 at 2:08 PM, Heidi Duan said:

5 years since the initial request has been posted and Evernote still hasn't supported lol.

I am going to switch to some other note applications. Can anyone kindly provide some suggestions? So far I just know Typora is a pretty nice and lightweight option.

Joplin is promising for a similar feature set to Evernote, with native Markdown.

• Level 5*
On 1/4/2020 at 1:08 PM, Heidi Duan said:

Can anyone kindly provide some suggestions? So far I just know Typora is a pretty nice and lightweight option.

Typora is my choice for using markdown on a Mac   
I store the .md files in Evernote as note attachments

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, cpinegar said:

Joplin is promising for a similar feature set to Evernote, with native Markdown.

Evidently Joplin used Markdown as its native format. (https://joplinapp.org/#markdown).

Evernote does not (https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php), and that's the crux of the problem. Round-tripping from Evernote format to Markdown and back to Evernote is not trivial.

Not sure where Joplin lines up vis-a-vis feature set (or performance, or convenience, etc.), so no opinion there. If Markdown is critical for your use case, and 3rd-party tools like Marxico don't cut it for you, then you should probably use a tool that handles Markdown well. If that's Joplin, well then, there you go...

@jefito I get that ENML is completely different from MD and I understand why.  However, the EN devs could recognize some of the MD syntax and translate it.  It would be super convenient to be able to place text in triple quotes for code snippets and such.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Jim Bonds said:

@jefito I get that ENML is completely different from MD and I understand why.  However, the EN devs could recognize some of the MD syntax and translate it.  It would be super convenient to be able to place text in triple quotes for code snippets and such.

I don't know what post of mine you're responding to, but I certainly get that Markdown is an important feature for a fair number of Evernote users, and indeed, some Evernote clients (the Windows client anyways) do actually support use of some Markdown-ish syntax as a one-shot operation (e.g. I type '* ' and it adds a bullet point), and all of that's fine and should be added to other Evernote clients as well. My problem is that some folks expect more, like the ability to go back and forth between Markdown and Evernote formats (i.e. View as Markdown vs. View as Evernote), and that just doesn't seem feasible. These are two separate features, and a lot of folks are asking for the latter, as far as I can tell.

If you're asking for the former, more power to you. If you're asking for the latter, well, I have my doubts.

BTW, on Windows, Ctrl+Shift+L gives me a new code block (or creates one containing any selected text). It's not clear to me why the Markdown would be easier than that. Horses for course, I guess...

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, lucianadl said:

+1 for native Markdown support, please

Voting in this forum is via the arrow at the top-left of the topic header:

image.png.bb88ad4fe2d4a37cfad4659bdcacdca4.png

Current vote count is showing at 288

If you think markdown will only be used by developpers, businesses and professionals, think again.

Markdown or any markup is a very fast way to format things without the need to click a button or remember a shortcut!

See Bear for iOS / macOS. How fast is that?! Would have saved me a lot of time to apply formatting on the go when I was taking notes for school!

The main reason I do not use Bear is because it is Apple exclusive when I use Android or work with people using other platforms. Plus, I learned how to use Evernote so why would I change?

It is unbelievable that a note-taking app doesn't have a formatting on-the-go equivalent to markdown! Some system that helps you format your notes quickly and easily without spending 30% of your time formatting your notes!!!
If you do not want to integrate markdown, include a similar/equivalent system to make it as easy as a Bear writer at least.

If there is such system, I didn't find it and I would love to be proven wrong. :)

So far, I only found the auto-formatting:
https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001758468-How-to-use-auto-formatting

Which does not include title size (e.g. H1, H2...) nor change the size of the font on-the-go.

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, LynuSBell said:

If you think markdown will only be used by developpers, businesses and professionals, think again.
Markdown or any markup is a very fast way to format things without the need to click a button or remember a shortcut!

I don't know which post you're responding to.
No one is disputing that Markdown is a valuable tool for some users

>>It is unbelievable that a note-taking app doesn't have a formatting on-the-go equivalent to markdown!

Well believe it - there are many editors that don't support Markdown
It is unbelievable that of all the available editors, you choose to use one that doesn't support markdown
- My choice is Typora (Mac).  I store the .md files in Evernote as attachments

• Level 5*
On 1/10/2020 at 7:18 AM, LynuSBell said:

The contra is that for some of us buttons and shortcuts are faster then remembering Markdown code.  Me being in that category.  Potato potahto I suppose.  I would prefer some  completeness and uniformity of format and formatting across platforms before adding any new stuff.  Like a table that column wraps on one device and not on the other, using default fonts in both cases.  No issue at all if EN adds Markdown, more power to those that want it.  I'd just like some consistency in the formatting and display with default fonts I control.    🤷‍♂️

21 hours ago, DTLow said:

I don't know which post you're responding to.
No one is disputing that Markdown is a valuable tool for some users

>>It is unbelievable that a note-taking app doesn't have a formatting on-the-go equivalent to markdown!

Well believe it - there are many editors that don't support Markdown
It is unbelievable that of all the available editors, you choose to use one that doesn't support markdown
- My choice is Typora (Mac).  I store the .md files in Evernote as attachments

But that's the thing. I don't want an editor. I don't want to code my notes. I just want the fast ability to format my notes as I write like I would write text.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, LynuSBell said:

I don't want to code my notes.

The above request is for native markdown support    
An example is that bold text is coded as **bold** and stored in the Evernote database as such
Currently, Evernote stores the text as <b>bold</b> (html), however we never see the code

The markdown support is certainly important. However, from my perspective it has two main features: the import of .md formatted files and the "on-the-go" edition.
The former has not been done, but it seems like an easy problem to solve. Translate, create the file and continue, should be straight forward. The latter is the complicated one.

Nevertheless, have you used Evernote lately?

I mean, the support for Markdown is partial, but it is there already. I checked it today and I was gladly surprised since this is a very useful feature. Just try it out!

(# + space) gives you the biggest header.
(## + space) gives you the second biggest.

There is also the auto-formatting that you can find here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001758468

You will say "cursive and bold is not supported!".
True, it is not supported yet, but in the meantime you can do (ctrl + b) and (ctrl + i). It works just fine and you probably are used to those shortcuts anyways.

I do expect the feature of fully supporting Markdown comes, but the effort that has been done in this is great comparing with the state of the product 5 years ago.

Be grateful and help them prioritise which Markdown formatting to support first. The whining attitude is helping no one.

Just wanted to add my voice to the clamour for this feature. Existing users needn't be affected by it. You could have tabs where the default (unless changed in preferences) is to display the formatted view as at present. But another tab switches you to the markdown view. The way Enterprise Git Hub switches between markdown and preview mode for example.

On 1/12/2020 at 11:44 PM, Gabriel Rodrigues said:

I mean, the support for Markdown is partial, but it is there already. I checked it today and I was gladly surprised since this is a very useful feature. Just try it out!

(# + space) gives you the biggest header.
(## + space) gives you the second biggest.

In which version of Evernote is this working? Currently on Windows

# + space

does not create any header.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Heinzel said:

In which version of Evernote is this working?

In the current web beta, for one. I don't know of any others but I don't have Mac or iOS access. Certainly not in Windows or Android at this time..

I just started using evernote to organize my home and work documents, and I'm more than a little sad to come here and see a 5 year log of people requesting support for markdown with little to no feedback from the company. Instead, I find this thread is full of rude and snide sneering at people who would like to use a commonplace markup language for quickly writing notes. It really makes a bad impression to a new user.

As for the feature, Markdown support is commonplace these days, and it shouldn't take 5 years to let your community know what your plans are with this feature. This thread is currently the 5th highest voted feature request on this forum and has been around for years. Maybe it's time to let your paying customers know whats going on with this feature that a large number of users would clearly love to have? Just a little hint as to whether we'll see it or not?

Like I said, I'm pretty new to evernote and I'm not *yet* invested. But seeing this thread leaves me concerned that I should try to find to something else before that happens (which I would hate -- I really like everything else about evernote).

Specifically, I'd like to just see a markdown rendering mode for displaying markdown files. The editor would simply be a plain-text editor that markdown is typed directly into. It doesn't need to be WYSIWYG or anything fancy to have the basic functionality, just a plain text editor with a markdown renderer for viewing.

While the current rich text editor provides a lot of formatting options, one thing missing is inline code markup. For example, the markdown string

The variable `foo` is a `double`.

would use code formatting for both "foo" and "double". I have not been able to find a way to do this with evernote, but it's a basic markdown feature that I sorely miss when typing notes into Evernote.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
23 hours ago, Owllison said:

Instead, I find this thread is full of rude and snide sneering at people who would like to use a commonplace markup language for quickly writing notes.

It's a long thread, but I think you'll also find there are many rude and snide comments directed at Evernote from folks requesting Markdown, and on the other side, some respectful, even thoughtful discussion about why fully supporting Markdown in Evernote might not be so easy at it may seem. Can't recall any feedback from Evernote staff in this one, apart from @Shane D.'s pinned post; I'd have to review it, but as I say, it's a long thread, so I won't be doing it right away. By implication, Shane's post implies "not any time soon", and their current focus is elsewhere than adding brand new big features (see https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/306-behind-the-scenes-series/), but sure, it's always good to get direct guidance on what's on their radar. It's not always been their way, however.

Specifically, I'd like to just see a markdown rendering mode for displaying markdown files.

The traditional Evernote way to deal with files is as attachments. Evernote doesn't handle editing, but in some cases like PDF and image files, you get a preview inside the note, at least for desktop Evernote (I use Windows). I could see something similar for markdown files being useful: you could display the rendered version in Evernote in a  box in the note, scroll up down in it, a la PDF files, but in order to edit it, you'd need to invoke a separate editor. That way, Evernote doesn't need to do any translation back and forth between Markdown and Evernote's internal ENML format, the user can see the Markdown results inside an Evernote note, and the user gets to use their favorite Markdown editor to make changes.

While the current rich text editor provides a lot of formatting options, one thing missing is inline code markup.

This is separate from the Markdown thingy, but it would be useful. I do use the line-based code formatting a lot, but I could use the inline version as well.  About the closest I've come is just to  format the relevant code using a monospace typeface, and let it go at that (sometimes you get that from copy/paste. This is made easier in the Windows application where you can use the F4 shortcut key to reapply the last formatting you did to the current selection (a great tip from a fellow Evernoter that I saw recently). Doesn't work on Android or on the web (I'm using the current web beta).

• Level 5*
On 2/11/2020 at 7:30 AM, Owllison said:

Specifically, I'd like to just see a markdown rendering mode for displaying markdown files. The editor would simply be a plain-text editor that markdown is typed directly into. It doesn't need to be WYSIWYG or anything fancy to have the basic functionality, just a plain text editor with a markdown renderer for viewing.

Evernote's editors currently support edit/display for enml files (basically html)

Markdown files can be stored as an note attachment file, however there is no rendering display
We have to use an external editor
- "a plain text editor" works well, I use the Textastic app on a Mac and iPad
- I also use the Typora app on a Mac

>>a markdown rendering mode for displaying markdown files

I'd like to see inline display for markdown files

There's a request posted at the top of the discussion1001540786_ScreenShot2020-02-12at7_31_37AM.png.33812325839d4bc3c27302aa55d62643.png
To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

Really want this feature by the way!!!!! At leaast let us choose which editor to chose when we creating a new note in evernote, for example using the markdown editor or the current evernote editor, that may help alot of us including students, reserchers and others!@!@@@@

I've clicked the upvote arrow! I'd just like to say that markdown support is probably one of the few features that I would consider switching to another note app-for. 

I basically just need nested folders, markdown + image support, search capability, and cross-platform support. That's not a super high-bar so there's likely another product out there which does all of this. 

1. If anyone knows of a product that does all those things, please let me know

2. If anyone could share their current Evernote-markdown support solution, let me know!

Thanks

On 2/23/2020 at 11:39 PM, Mr. Stick said:

I've clicked the upvote arrow! I'd just like to say that markdown support is probably one of the few features that I would consider switching to another note app-for. 

I basically just need nested folders, markdown + image support, search capability, and cross-platform support. That's not a super high-bar so there's likely another product out there which does all of this. 

1. If anyone knows of a product that does all those things, please let me know

2. If anyone could share their current Evernote-markdown support solution, let me know!

Thanks

Hi, I migrate to Joplin. It can import notes and notebooks from .enex files that can be created through Evernote client. Didn't know about nested folders because I didn't use such functionality.

It is cross platform with clients on win/mac/linux/android/iOS. I migrated to them from evernote because of markdown support

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, aaroncz said:

It's 2020 already! I really hope I could take coding notes in Evernote!

Amazing!! I take coding notes in Evernote all the time, no Markdown needed!!! Whee!!!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, aaroncz said:

I really hope I could take coding notes in Evernote!

Did you mean "code notes"   
Evernote notes are enml/html based; I can access the content.enml component for coding

On 2/26/2020 at 11:35 AM, DTLow said:

Did you mean "code notes"   
Evernote notes are enml/html based; I can access the content.enml component for coding

I strongly believe most people could get my point when I say "coding notes" or "programming assignments"

There appear to be some markdown elements on the current web application! *

I am using Evernote Web Version 5.30.0 for Safari. It supports the use of hashtags (#) for headers, asterisks/pluses/minuses (*/+/-) for bullets, and numbers (1/2/3) for numbered bullets. Bolding, italics, and underlining is still controlled from the menu bar (or with a keyboard shortcut) exclusively.

Some might (correctly) say that this is not true markdown, but I think that it is a step in the right direction. It is easier for me to use ### rather than mouse over to the menu bar for header options. I have no doubt that Evernote will continue to use HTML files (with all the features/services they permit), but I am glad to see elements of markdown incorporated into the editor. Hashtags and asterisks are really fantastic for extemporaneous note creation, so thank you Evernote!

* Importantly, the rendering of the markdown is sequential. So, if a user types ### for a small header, then the ### disappears and the font for that line is set to small header. The hashtags are not hidden; they are removed. Essentially, all of the above commands are one-way signals for specific formatting instructions. This is why I say, "some markdown elements" rather than "markdown" in the first line.

(I've applied for the Beta Program, but I am not in it. To my knowledge. 5.30.0 is a public beta release.) 

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, amfeather said:

I am using Evernote Web Version 5.30.0 for Safari. It supports the use of hashtags (#) for headers, asterisks/pluses/minuses (*/+/-) for bullets, and numbers (1/2/3) for numbered bullets. Bolding, italics, and underlining is still controlled from the menu bar (or with a keyboard shortcut) exclusively.

This has been a feature of the Windows Evernote application, among others, for some time. See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001758468-How-to-use-auto-formatting

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
46 minutes ago, amfeather said:

Some might (correctly) say that this is not true markdown

As per @jefito, this is more in the form of auto-formatting.

Also note, this is entry only; the code is converted and stored as enml/html   
For true markdown, I use an external editor and store the .md file as a note attachment

• Like 1

You already support html. Markdown is simpler, leads to more predictable results as rendering is simpler. Markdown is a widely used among developers, but it's becoming more and more widespread as cloud work environments spreads. More and more people who works with various tools in Azure for example are writing technical documentation and analysis reports in Markdown since it's well supported, from full document trees to little comments boxes associated with an entry in the issue tracker for example. I discover Markdown support in so many places. So please Evernote, don't sit on your user base to do nothing. Markdown support would be a nice improvement to your discutable "code block" style. If you need help developing this, i'll be glad to give you a hand 🙂

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Sébastien Boudreau said:

You already support html. Markdown is simpler, leads to more predictable results as rendering is simpler.

Evernote's native note storage format is ENML Ihttps://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php), so HTML-ish, but contains Evernote-specific elements..Anyway, round-tripping back and forth between Markdown and ENML is problematic. Converting Markdown to HTML (or ENML)? Pretty straightforward. Converting arbitrary HTML to Markdown? Not so straightforward. So what's your solution? I don't think that Evernote is going to change its internal format any time soon...

I love Evernote and but need markdown support.   I'll even up to a payed version solely for that feature. 

Not trying to be mean about it, but if there isn't any progress on this in the near future then I'm going to make the change to use Notion in place of Evernote.  

No markdown in 2020? Feels like Evernote stuck in 2012 or something... Originally I got to this page by first learning Evernote desktop options, found no way to switch to markdown, then I though... okay, this is nonsense, EN gotta support MD, right? So I googled, found this post... and, yeah, it's disappointing.

On 4/7/2020 at 11:04 PM, jefito said:

Evernote's native note storage format is ENML Ihttps://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php), so HTML-ish, but contains Evernote-specific elements..Anyway, round-tripping back and forth between Markdown and ENML is problematic. Converting Markdown to HTML (or ENML)? Pretty straightforward. Converting arbitrary HTML to Markdown? Not so straightforward. So what's your solution? I don't think that Evernote is going to change its internal format any time soon...

No need to convert HTML to MD, note either has to be in MD or HTML (-ish) markup. This will suffice people's needs. The only caveat of supporting MD is tables... people may want formatting of tables (auto-adjusting of columns widths), which shouldn't be a huge deal, tbh... other than that markdown is so common so no matter in which language (or languages) Evernote is written in, it should be quite easy to add.

As a developer i have had to look for other options waiting for this feature since i started using github. I tried out Marxico and Inkdrop which im paying  for still. But these are still,  complementary tools. Native support for MD in Evernote would just be heaven.  Nowadays i mostly use github wikis for the technical aspects of my notes and Inkdrop everytime I'm inspired to document my current level of understanding about some technical issue.  Inkdrop is a very close contender to Evernote for this purpose. 

Evernote should add markdown support soon. Ready to upgrade my subscription in case markdown's there. Marxico sucks when the size of the notes expands. I lost a lot of images in the notes.

On 11/30/2017 at 8:27 AM, DTLow said:

What would be your estimate for the amount of work required; hours, $?

There is an existing 3rd party product available (Marxico)    Evernote could integrate that service into their product.

Its not a feature I use, or am willing to pay for ($16US yearly), but close to 400 users have indicated support

What I am doing nowadays is: (1) writing on Typora or R and (2) copying the text to Marxico; (3) using it later with my other Evernote contents.

It's pretty bad.

On 1/5/2020 at 12:08 AM, Heidi Duan said:

For me it's time to export all from Evernote to Notion.

I tired from Evernote - it looks like stagnation.

Dear Evernote, I really enjoy using your app, but for me, Markdown is no longer an option, it's a requirement. If you had offered Markdown as a premium feature, I would have happily bought a subscription. Instead, you decided not to listen to all of your users requesting it and I was forced to explore different apps. I found Bear and bought a subscription. Farewell Evernote, it's been real.

• Like 3

Yes - my #1 desired thing. 

It's weirdly disconcerting watching Evernote beta videos and seeing excited demos of an outdated, Wordpress-style formatting toolbar. Markdown is now the standard. Please please make it a priority. 

I just pasted in a markdown file and nothing was picked up still 🥵 How stupid was I to try again.

This open ticket for many multiple years is proof to long term users that the decision makers in the company do not care about adding what they consider niche features.

I still get the "deal" emails to sign up for pro, why would anyone do that?

Is anyone using a  tool that I can import all my Evernote stuff too and finally uninstall this software which has never lived up to it's potential.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, boardtc said:

I just pasted in a markdown file and nothing was picked up

I use Evernote to store my markdown files (and other file types)

Pasting into an Evernote note, works for me1694468505_ScreenShot2020-07-23at8_51_09AM.png.36836a41f2943652f7f46d6229d381df.png
although I mostly use drag and drop

(screenshot is from my Mac)

On 7/23/2020 at 6:46 PM, boardtc said:

I just pasted in a markdown file and nothing was picked up still 🥵 How stupid was I to try again.

This open ticket for many multiple years is proof to long term users that the decision makers in the company do not care about adding what they consider niche features.

I still get the "deal" emails to sign up for pro, why would anyone do that?

Is anyone using a  tool that I can import all my Evernote stuff too and finally uninstall this software which has never lived up to it's potential.

I recommed Bear - it it has import from evernote and awesome markdown editor (but mobile app only for iphone).

Notion also has import and supports markdown.

Yesterday I was using my wife's computer and I happened to start using the Evernote Web Editor to jot down a couple of things. For a number of reasons, I have grown accustomed to write my notes using Markdown syntax... and I do that quite consistently in Evernote for Windows and a number of other writing tools.

As soon as I started writing, I had to stop and start testing.

Because it seems to me that Evernote developers, QA team, and possibly users that have been clamoring for Markdown support have completely misunderstood the purpose and the usefulness of Markdown syntax.

Note the emphasis on Markdown syntax.

Markdown is, first and foremost, a plain text formatting syntax. Refer to John Gruber's notes in his introduction to Markdown. Writing using Markdown syntax is NOT (and SHOULD NOT be) writing using a WYSIWYG editor.

Imagine my surprise when I used the symbol / syntax for Heading 1 (#) and saw the immediate transformation into a formatted "Large Header" (Evernote Web Editor terminology). Fine, I said to myself, I just have to "undo" twice to restore my Heading 1 (#) symbol and continue (bit of a nuisance, if you ask me). See here https://i.imgur.com/jzaRij1.gif.

And then, imagine my dismay when I realized that Markdown syntax instructions and/or actual RTF / HTML formatting are completely lost if I simply copy and paste into other text editing applications. See here https://i.imgur.com/rJJBYrS.gif

I won't elaborate further - other than to mention I notice how the actual Markdown implementation and/or support is partial, minimal... and incorrect in many cases...

The whole point of my post is: this Markdown implementation defeats the entire purpose of the markup language -- portability and platform independence come to mind.

I submit that the Editor (which I believe will be replicated into the desktop / mobile apps) should at least provide users with an option to enable / disable this supposed Markdown support.

And please, let's refrain from the usual chorus... using another editor to write using Markdown syntax and then store that document in Evernote... again defeats the whole idea of Markdown and - quite frankly - sounds a bit silly.

Ideas? Observations? Comments?

• Like 2

I use Bear for most of my note taking, so I do appreciate the usefulness of Markdown. But keep in mind..

You are using beta software, and we don't know the intent - maybe this is the first pass at implementing full Markdown, or maybe this was added so people who are familiar with Markdown could edit faster and it wouldn't bother those who don't care about Markdown. 

I'm not convinced it makes sense at this point to add full Markdown to Evernote. It is a pretty geeky thing, and I would guess most Evernote users couldn't care less about Markdown. Plus as I understand it, the goal of the first iteration of the "new" Evernote is to match the current implementation, not to add new features. Markdown would be a new feature. Just implementing a bug free editor seems like a good enough goal for starters.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, OldManGeorge said:

this Markdown implementation defeats the entire purpose of the markup language -- portability and platform independence come to mind

I merged your post with the ongoing Markdown discussion

This is not a Markdown implementation
This is a shortcut for heading styles when editing note contents

I can confirm this shortcut syntax is not preserved when the coding is converted to enml/html

>>I submit that the Editor (which I believe will be replicated into the desktop / mobile apps) should at least provide users with an option to enable / disable this supposed Markdown support.

Like this (screenshot from my Mac)1909440962_ScreenShot2020-07-27at10_50_29AM.png.22d0ce241631c1630017591d93abd24a.png

>>I have grown accustomed to write my notes using Markdown syntax... and I do that quite consistently in Evernote for Windows

Can you provide more details on how you're using Markdown syntax in Evernote for Windows

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

<<Can you provide more details on how you're using Markdown syntax in Evernote for Windows>>

Markdown syntax in Evernote or Windows Notepad or any other editor...well... it does not make a difference !  When I need to write using Markdown, this is how I normally compose text in Evernote for Windows... (I just use a different font here, for clarity)...

# This is Heading 1

## This is Heading 2

### This is Heading 3

* This is a bullet

- This is also a bullet

+ This is *another bullet in bold type*

etc.

What makes a difference is how Markdown is then rendered (translated into HTML and formatted via style sheets - CSS).

The whole point is the separation between content and presentation. I (and many developers / authors) write using Markdown syntax because we write content with basic formatting instructions (the task of rendering that content may or may not be my responsibility).

For example, the simple characters "# " have a specific meaning which is... "render the following words using the style defined for Heading 1". So the editor cannot and must not assume the responsibility of "translating" and formatting the text into a very specific typeface... 

If we interpret Markdown as an actual formatting instruction (refer to my original post)... then... what is the point? Might as well support shortcut keys for basic formatting - just as in Microsoft Word you'd use CTRL+ALT+1 to apply the Heading 1 format (which is defined as a Style). Wouldn't that be much easier and more user friendly?

That is why I am monumentally confused by the idea of (and initial implementation of) Markdown support in Evernote...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
16 minutes ago, OldManGeorge said:

The whole point is the separation between content and presentation.

Thanks for the details (typing markdown code in Evernote notes)

Presentation is important to me - do you follow through with rendering your code?
I like the UI in the Typora app which presents both the code and presentation in one panel

53 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Presentation is important to me - do you follow through with rendering your code?

DTLow:

The answer is - as expected - "it depends"..

• In many cases I do not even need to follow up with presentation. Take, for example, notes for my own consumption that one day, somehow, maybe they will see some sort of publication... 
  • In most cases, I do not need to follow up because I deliver the plain text Markdown to colleagues... which will transform into HTML via preferred libraries and present / publish using corporate CSS or ad-hoc CSS
  • In rare cases, if I need to quickly share something with a third party... I copy and paste into Visual Studio Code, render using the built-in renderer, and export to PDF. This is the case where Markdown Support and a built-in renderer would be nice to have in Evernote (but then again... is the implementation effort worth it...?)

Incidentally, I like Typora (for Windows, as you can guess). I have tested it and found it quite attractive and powerful. On the other hand, for my business & personal use... I fall back onto Visual Studio Code - which I use all day every day... 

so when will Evernote release markdown feature and dark mode for Web and Windows...

I've subscribed Evernote for years

if the Evernote keep ignoring these, i am considering moving my things to other services seriously

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
17 minutes ago, caiohamamura said:

It looks like people are giving up on Evernote in favor of Bear, Notion and other which natively support markdown.

For sure, if you need a markdown editor the Evernote editor is the wrong tool
I use the Typora editor/viewer app

I use the Evernote service to store my notes/documents, including the .md files

On 2/11/2017 at 1:46 AM, Matt Corr said:

I use Dropbox Paper. Its search is very quick, its nice and minimalistic and great Markdown support :)

I know this is an post, but THANK YOU for pointing me to Dropbox Paper. It does BEAUTIFUL inline code formatting as well as code blocks with line numbers. This is going to make my technical notes so much better. Goodbye, Evernote.

What is it about Markdown that is so intimidating to implement?  Why are the requests of multiple veteran Evernote users going unanswered?

This is really the most basic feature of any modern note-taking utility.  I love Evernote, its vision, its history.  Ive been using it for 16 years.  Gasp!!!!

This head-in-the-sand response is not the Sapiens survival instinct at its most powerful.

I‘m sure without any doubt that there will be a quite good if not very good inline markdown support in the final next desktop or mac version.

just look at the actual web-ui which dynamically shows the development and the actual status of the most probably future editor. There you have inline markup formatting for headings, ordered and unordered list, text formatting, fast inserting of tables, hyperlinks and code blocks. Most of this rather similar to the above mentioned (very good an simple) editor of DropBox Paper.

The so far only bigger advantages of the DropBox Paper editor IMHO are - non markup-specific - the distraction free look, the possibility to  change paragraph order via keeboard shortcuts and the native and very good syntax highlighing in code blocks.

That surely are good arguments to use DropBox paper additionally as a mobile and on different platforms working solution for writing and developing new texts an drafts. But for me this is no reason to move away from Evernote as my most central clipping, remembering, storing and knowledge-management-tool.

(and by the way highlighting text in different colours allready works better in the new evernote web ui...)

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, HeBoIz said:

I‘m sure without any doubt that there will be a quite good if not very good inline markdown support in the final next desktop or mac version.

The only markdown I've seen is # coding for heading styles   
Be aware the markdown coding is not maintained; it's converted to html syntax

8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The only thing I've seen is # coding for heading styles   
Also, be aware the markdown coding is not maintained; it's converted to html coding

Yeah sure, markdown coding is converted to html coding. But I think the main reason for most of these everlasting markdown diskussions may be the needs for fast formatting html via markup-codes and shortcuts, especially with headings.

and you are right, fast table inserting supply like [][][]x3 for inserting a table with 3 columns and 3 rows is just a shortcut code and no markdown... (For me this just felt like markdown ;)

PLEASE ADD MARKDOWN!

I've been a user for years. Currently a premium subscriber as well.

I flirt with switching away from Evernote regularly but I've been unable to find an app that does what Evernote does. If markdown (or any type of text styling shortcut/formatting) was added I would really have no reason to think about switching for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Extended formatting options were now introduced with EN for iOS 10. This is the first release client that has the features that will probably be rolled out to the other clients as well.

The release still has bugs, but the formatting is there to stay. It is not full markdown, but allows for real nice layouts. 3 header levels, a new checklist feature, color selection for the text marker and more.

Header style selection:

image.thumb.jpeg.252b6091c77c33bca1604269224c40ec.jpeg

Change format of header style:

image.thumb.jpeg.5dea36131b5830f60184ba5f8c293f92.jpeg