Native Markdown Support

brampeirs

Idea

On 1/12/2020 at 11:44 PM, Gabriel Rodrigues said:

I mean, the support for Markdown is partial, but it is there already. I checked it today and I was gladly surprised since this is a very useful feature. Just try it out!

(# + space) gives you the biggest header.
(## + space) gives you the second biggest.

In which version of Evernote is this working? Currently on Windows

# + space

does not create any header.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Heinzel said:

In which version of Evernote is this working?

In the current web beta, for one. I don't know of any others but I don't have Mac or iOS access. Certainly not in Windows or Android at this time..

I just started using evernote to organize my home and work documents, and I'm more than a little sad to come here and see a 5 year log of people requesting support for markdown with little to no feedback from the company. Instead, I find this thread is full of rude and snide sneering at people who would like to use a commonplace markup language for quickly writing notes. It really makes a bad impression to a new user.

As for the feature, Markdown support is commonplace these days, and it shouldn't take 5 years to let your community know what your plans are with this feature. This thread is currently the 5th highest voted feature request on this forum and has been around for years. Maybe it's time to let your paying customers know whats going on with this feature that a large number of users would clearly love to have? Just a little hint as to whether we'll see it or not?

Like I said, I'm pretty new to evernote and I'm not *yet* invested. But seeing this thread leaves me concerned that I should try to find to something else before that happens (which I would hate -- I really like everything else about evernote).

Specifically, I'd like to just see a markdown rendering mode for displaying markdown files. The editor would simply be a plain-text editor that markdown is typed directly into. It doesn't need to be WYSIWYG or anything fancy to have the basic functionality, just a plain text editor with a markdown renderer for viewing.

While the current rich text editor provides a lot of formatting options, one thing missing is inline code markup. For example, the markdown string

The variable `foo` is a `double`.

would use code formatting for both "foo" and "double". I have not been able to find a way to do this with evernote, but it's a basic markdown feature that I sorely miss when typing notes into Evernote.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 2/11/2020 at 7:30 AM, Owllison said:

Specifically, I'd like to just see a markdown rendering mode for displaying markdown files. The editor would simply be a plain-text editor that markdown is typed directly into. It doesn't need to be WYSIWYG or anything fancy to have the basic functionality, just a plain text editor with a markdown renderer for viewing.

Evernote's editors currently support edit/display for enml files (basically html)

Markdown files can be stored as an note attachment file, however there is no rendering display
We have to use an external editor
- "a plain text editor" works well, I use the Textastic app on a Mac and iPad
- I also use the Typora app on a Mac

>>a markdown rendering mode for displaying markdown files

I'd like to see inline display for markdown files

There's a request posted at the top of the discussion1001540786_ScreenShot2020-02-12at7_31_37AM.png.33812325839d4bc3c27302aa55d62643.png
To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

Really want this feature by the way!!!!! At leaast let us choose which editor to chose when we creating a new note in evernote, for example using the markdown editor or the current evernote editor, that may help alot of us including students, reserchers and others!@!@@@@

I've clicked the upvote arrow! I'd just like to say that markdown support is probably one of the few features that I would consider switching to another note app-for. 

I basically just need nested folders, markdown + image support, search capability, and cross-platform support. That's not a super high-bar so there's likely another product out there which does all of this. 

1. If anyone knows of a product that does all those things, please let me know

2. If anyone could share their current Evernote-markdown support solution, let me know!

Thanks

On 2/23/2020 at 11:39 PM, Mr. Stick said:

I've clicked the upvote arrow! I'd just like to say that markdown support is probably one of the few features that I would consider switching to another note app-for. 

I basically just need nested folders, markdown + image support, search capability, and cross-platform support. That's not a super high-bar so there's likely another product out there which does all of this. 

1. If anyone knows of a product that does all those things, please let me know

2. If anyone could share their current Evernote-markdown support solution, let me know!

Thanks

Hi, I migrate to Joplin. It can import notes and notebooks from .enex files that can be created through Evernote client. Didn't know about nested folders because I didn't use such functionality.

It is cross platform with clients on win/mac/linux/android/iOS. I migrated to them from evernote because of markdown support

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, aaroncz said:

It's 2020 already! I really hope I could take coding notes in Evernote!

Amazing!! I take coding notes in Evernote all the time, no Markdown needed!!! Whee!!!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, aaroncz said:

I really hope I could take coding notes in Evernote!

Did you mean "code notes"   
Evernote notes are enml/html based; I can access the content.enml component for coding

There appear to be some markdown elements on the current web application! *

I am using Evernote Web Version 5.30.0 for Safari. It supports the use of hashtags (#) for headers, asterisks/pluses/minuses (*/+/-) for bullets, and numbers (1/2/3) for numbered bullets. Bolding, italics, and underlining is still controlled from the menu bar (or with a keyboard shortcut) exclusively.

Some might (correctly) say that this is not true markdown, but I think that it is a step in the right direction. It is easier for me to use ### rather than mouse over to the menu bar for header options. I have no doubt that Evernote will continue to use HTML files (with all the features/services they permit), but I am glad to see elements of markdown incorporated into the editor. Hashtags and asterisks are really fantastic for extemporaneous note creation, so thank you Evernote!

* Importantly, the rendering of the markdown is sequential. So, if a user types ### for a small header, then the ### disappears and the font for that line is set to small header. The hashtags are not hidden; they are removed. Essentially, all of the above commands are one-way signals for specific formatting instructions. This is why I say, "some markdown elements" rather than "markdown" in the first line.

(I've applied for the Beta Program, but I am not in it. To my knowledge. 5.30.0 is a public beta release.) 

You already support html. Markdown is simpler, leads to more predictable results as rendering is simpler. Markdown is a widely used among developers, but it's becoming more and more widespread as cloud work environments spreads. More and more people who works with various tools in Azure for example are writing technical documentation and analysis reports in Markdown since it's well supported, from full document trees to little comments boxes associated with an entry in the issue tracker for example. I discover Markdown support in so many places. So please Evernote, don't sit on your user base to do nothing. Markdown support would be a nice improvement to your discutable "code block" style. If you need help developing this, i'll be glad to give you a hand 🙂

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Sébastien Boudreau said:

You already support html. Markdown is simpler, leads to more predictable results as rendering is simpler.

Evernote's native note storage format is ENML Ihttps://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php), so HTML-ish, but contains Evernote-specific elements..Anyway, round-tripping back and forth between Markdown and ENML is problematic. Converting Markdown to HTML (or ENML)? Pretty straightforward. Converting arbitrary HTML to Markdown? Not so straightforward. So what's your solution? I don't think that Evernote is going to change its internal format any time soon...

I love Evernote and but need markdown support.   I'll even up to a payed version solely for that feature. 

Not trying to be mean about it, but if there isn't any progress on this in the near future then I'm going to make the change to use Notion in place of Evernote.  

No markdown in 2020? Feels like Evernote stuck in 2012 or something... Originally I got to this page by first learning Evernote desktop options, found no way to switch to markdown, then I though... okay, this is nonsense, EN gotta support MD, right? So I googled, found this post... and, yeah, it's disappointing.

On 4/7/2020 at 11:04 PM, jefito said:

Evernote's native note storage format is ENML Ihttps://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php), so HTML-ish, but contains Evernote-specific elements..Anyway, round-tripping back and forth between Markdown and ENML is problematic. Converting Markdown to HTML (or ENML)? Pretty straightforward. Converting arbitrary HTML to Markdown? Not so straightforward. So what's your solution? I don't think that Evernote is going to change its internal format any time soon...

No need to convert HTML to MD, note either has to be in MD or HTML (-ish) markup. This will suffice people's needs. The only caveat of supporting MD is tables... people may want formatting of tables (auto-adjusting of columns widths), which shouldn't be a huge deal, tbh... other than that markdown is so common so no matter in which language (or languages) Evernote is written in, it should be quite easy to add.

As a developer i have had to look for other options waiting for this feature since i started using github. I tried out Marxico and Inkdrop which im paying  for still. But these are still,  complementary tools. Native support for MD in Evernote would just be heaven.  Nowadays i mostly use github wikis for the technical aspects of my notes and Inkdrop everytime I'm inspired to document my current level of understanding about some technical issue.  Inkdrop is a very close contender to Evernote for this purpose. 

Evernote should add markdown support soon. Ready to upgrade my subscription in case markdown's there. Marxico sucks when the size of the notes expands. I lost a lot of images in the notes.

On 11/30/2017 at 8:27 AM, DTLow said:

What would be your estimate for the amount of work required; hours, $?

There is an existing 3rd party product available (Marxico)    Evernote could integrate that service into their product.

Its not a feature I use, or am willing to pay for ($16US yearly), but close to 400 users have indicated support

What I am doing nowadays is: (1) writing on Typora or R and (2) copying the text to Marxico; (3) using it later with my other Evernote contents.

It's pretty bad.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, boardtc said:

I just pasted in a markdown file and nothing was picked up

I use Evernote to store my markdown files (and other file types)

Pasting into an Evernote note, works for me1694468505_ScreenShot2020-07-23at8_51_09AM.png.36836a41f2943652f7f46d6229d381df.png
although I mostly use drag and drop

(screenshot is from my Mac)

I use Bear for most of my note taking, so I do appreciate the usefulness of Markdown. But keep in mind..

You are using beta software, and we don't know the intent - maybe this is the first pass at implementing full Markdown, or maybe this was added so people who are familiar with Markdown could edit faster and it wouldn't bother those who don't care about Markdown. 

I'm not convinced it makes sense at this point to add full Markdown to Evernote. It is a pretty geeky thing, and I would guess most Evernote users couldn't care less about Markdown. Plus as I understand it, the goal of the first iteration of the "new" Evernote is to match the current implementation, not to add new features. Markdown would be a new feature. Just implementing a bug free editor seems like a good enough goal for starters.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, OldManGeorge said:

The whole point is the separation between content and presentation.

Thanks for the details (typing markdown code in Evernote notes)

Presentation is important to me - do you follow through with rendering your code?
I like the UI in the Typora app which presents both the code and presentation in one panel

so when will Evernote release markdown feature and dark mode for Web and Windows...

I've subscribed Evernote for years

if the Evernote keep ignoring these, i am considering moving my things to other services seriously

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
17 minutes ago, caiohamamura said:

It looks like people are giving up on Evernote in favor of Bear, Notion and other which natively support markdown.

For sure, if you need a markdown editor the Evernote editor is the wrong tool
I use the Typora editor/viewer app

I use the Evernote service to store my notes/documents, including the .md files

On 2/11/2017 at 1:46 AM, Matt Corr said:

I use Dropbox Paper. Its search is very quick, its nice and minimalistic and great Markdown support :)

I know this is an post, but THANK YOU for pointing me to Dropbox Paper. It does BEAUTIFUL inline code formatting as well as code blocks with line numbers. This is going to make my technical notes so much better. Goodbye, Evernote.

What is it about Markdown that is so intimidating to implement?  Why are the requests of multiple veteran Evernote users going unanswered?

This is really the most basic feature of any modern note-taking utility.  I love Evernote, its vision, its history.  Ive been using it for 16 years.  Gasp!!!!

This head-in-the-sand response is not the Sapiens survival instinct at its most powerful.

I‘m sure without any doubt that there will be a quite good if not very good inline markdown support in the final next desktop or mac version.

just look at the actual web-ui which dynamically shows the development and the actual status of the most probably future editor. There you have inline markup formatting for headings, ordered and unordered list, text formatting, fast inserting of tables, hyperlinks and code blocks. Most of this rather similar to the above mentioned (very good an simple) editor of DropBox Paper.

The so far only bigger advantages of the DropBox Paper editor IMHO are - non markup-specific - the distraction free look, the possibility to  change paragraph order via keeboard shortcuts and the native and very good syntax highlighing in code blocks.

That surely are good arguments to use DropBox paper additionally as a mobile and on different platforms working solution for writing and developing new texts an drafts. But for me this is no reason to move away from Evernote as my most central clipping, remembering, storing and knowledge-management-tool.

(and by the way highlighting text in different colours allready works better in the new evernote web ui...)

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, HeBoIz said:

I‘m sure without any doubt that there will be a quite good if not very good inline markdown support in the final next desktop or mac version.

The only markdown I've seen is # coding for heading styles   
Be aware the markdown coding is not maintained; it's converted to html syntax

8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The only thing I've seen is # coding for heading styles   
Also, be aware the markdown coding is not maintained; it's converted to html coding

Yeah sure, markdown coding is converted to html coding. But I think the main reason for most of these everlasting markdown diskussions may be the needs for fast formatting html via markup-codes and shortcuts, especially with headings.

and you are right, fast table inserting supply like [][][]x3 for inserting a table with 3 columns and 3 rows is just a shortcut code and no markdown... (For me this just felt like markdown ;)

PLEASE ADD MARKDOWN!

I've been a user for years. Currently a premium subscriber as well.

I flirt with switching away from Evernote regularly but I've been unable to find an app that does what Evernote does. If markdown (or any type of text styling shortcut/formatting) was added I would really have no reason to think about switching for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Extended formatting options were now introduced with EN for iOS 10. This is the first release client that has the features that will probably be rolled out to the other clients as well.

The release still has bugs, but the formatting is there to stay. It is not full markdown, but allows for real nice layouts. 3 header levels, a new checklist feature, color selection for the text marker and more.

Header style selection:

image.thumb.jpeg.252b6091c77c33bca1604269224c40ec.jpeg

Change format of header style:

image.thumb.jpeg.5dea36131b5830f60184ba5f8c293f92.jpeg

• Level 5

There are new editing features now in EN iOS 10, 3 levels of headers for example. They are not created by markdown keys, but probably they work in a similar fashion. 

Because markdown is not narrowly defined, anybody with the new iOS client may give it a try, and check whether we got at least one step closer to some markdown capability. I have voted for it quite a while ago.

• Level 5*
On 10/3/2020 at 7:11 PM, Yanesh Tyagi said:

It's almost the end of 2020. I see that this thread is going on since years. Does the Evernote team has any plan to support markdown?

There's no indication of Evernote planning to support Markdown natively   
The base format is enml (basically html)

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Christopher Zenner said:

There are a number of other note-taking apps out there that perform equally as good—if not better than—Evernote

And some of them have support for Markdown

The cartoon above is funny, but doesn't make sense to me. Do you suggest that we as users should pay Evernote now to support the development for Markdown in future? I could consider, say, pay for a Kickstarter-like project that directly go to Markdown development and then get premium when it's delivered or get my money back if it doesn't happen. But I'm not going to pay for an incomplete product (to me and many other users markdown is a must-have) that doesn't meet my basic needs.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, DanielZhou said:

The cartoon above is funny, but doesn't make sense to me.

It's intended to be funny and not in an ugly way.  ;)

It is a reaction to the number of times "... if only EN had putyourwishhere I would subscribe... " has appeared in these forum pages.  No more, no less.

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Why do you consider the Version 10 product "beautiful"

One might say that it is actually beautiful :) (and objectively speaking, it probably is -  it is certainly more consistent across platforms).  But I putted this adjective in quotes due to horrible bugs. I was forced to use legacy version as well (especially on Windows due to keyboard shortcut bug). 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
8 minutes ago, thicks said:

Is there a way to just like every post in this thread?

The feature request is posted at the top
To indicate support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

Excellent, Thank you @Jon/t!!!

Unfortunately, I need a direct download (v7) because "Code Blocks" are not available in the mac app store version (v10)....another issue. Are code blocks back in the app store download? I can't download and test without killing my direct download version

On 11/2/2020 at 8:28 AM, DanielZhou said:

I really liked the new redesign. Markdown support is the only thing missing. I'd happily upgrade to a paid user again once this feature is in.

Same here. I migrated to Bear for the markdown support and cancelled my Evernote subscription. Evernote has a ton of useful features, but I feel like I'm fighting the editor when writing notes. Markdown just flows onto the page and I don't need to take my hands off of the keyboard to format the text to create headers, lists, or links. 

What I'm saying that the lack of markdown is important enough to make me leave Evernote, and the features that I lost by leaving are enough to make me return to Evernote if markdown support is added.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, face said:

My gut feel is that the omission is intentional to make it more difficult to leave Evernote

It's true, Evernote's base format is enml (basically html)   
not markdown

How does this make it more difficult to leave Evernote?

38 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

A decision is needed to do things ...

And in what way your comment is going to help us Mr. Obvious?...

38 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

there is a hint of markdown in the v10 apps

You have no idea what Markdown is, do you?

• Like 1

Used evernote few years back. Needed good note software to put my dev notes in. Opened evernote. Made a long note. Needed to share it to confluence via markdown. Checked export button in evernote. Checked this discussion. Checked date. Laughed and cried. Spent 30 minutes rewriting my note to markdown and copying all my images. Closed evernote. Unistalled evernote. Never again. Thank you bye.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Another vote for an option to:

• enter content using the full markdown syntax
  • RETAINING markdown syntax
  • exporting in markdown syntax

Long term subscriber here. Use markdown daily and exploring option for myself and my teams.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Well, the first MD features have already arrived in v10. Go to the shortcuts list, then way down, and you find some stuff like header levels. It is not a complete MD editor, but it is a starting point.

• Level 5

EN uses its own code - headers for example H1 = # , H2 = ## , H3 = ###, Bulleted list *-+, Code Block ´´´ , and so on. I doubt they will change this set of shortcuts.

Maybe you need to go to the gym, to retrain your muscle memory.

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Maybe you need to go to the gym, to retrain your muscle memory.

Some small degree of compatibility is more disruptive to my workflow than no compatibility.

I don't want to have to try to retain muscle memory variants for the same challenge and don't really want to compromise the efficiency of entry of an established formatting standard I've used for years and continue to use on a daily basis.

It is also inconvenient not being able to paste markdown content to a note and have it correctly format.

Full support for markdown attachments would be helpful.

Markdown support as an option rather than a default would avoid problems for users not biased to the format.

• Level 5

We agree in the observation that a better markdown support would be good.

We disagree that your slash /  - way of writing things up would be the standard. I use iaWriter for Markup, one of the major apps for markdown, at least for Mac and iOS.

They use some commands the same way EN does, like hashtags # for the headers, 3 - for a horizontal line or 3 backticks for code.

They just use more commands, and some are more refined, like the possibility to add a programming language to the code block command.

So what you are asking for is not markdown, it is a specific branch of markdown, driven by your individual user experience with other apps. I don’t think if you ask the users in this thread we could agree on which markdown we want - and leave the devs (hypothetically) on their own what to implement.

De acuerdo con agregar  soporte de Markdown en evernote seria un gran complemento y la aplicacion definitiva para muchos como yo, que tenemos que manejar diferente s aplicaciones para tener la informacion. En mi caso uso evernote para notas y tengo que convertirlas para poder alimentar Obsidian. Encontre Leaf Note lo que me permite realizar notas MD de manera muy Facil con images y demas desde el Movil y alimentar directamente mi cerebro . esto y Gboard con su opcion de dictado me quito un peso de encima. "evernotes take note"

• Level 5

Sorry - I regard this a pretty childish way to express a desire. In my opinion to be taken serious, try another approach (preferably without capital letters and - huuuu - red font).

You decided to start using the service without markdown. It was good to go then. If you now discover you fell in love with markdown, how serious is it to expect it will be developed and introduced matching your individual subscription cycle ?

There are good reasons for a markdown integration, and I have voted for this thread (and similar ones) quite a while ago. Hope it will be launched one day …

Edited by PinkElephant
Posting to which I commented was removed
  • Confused 1

I recently buy a license of EN, I love the minimal interface (easy to use) and they have a lot of features, but not sufficient for some people. I need Markdown in my day by day, I write and then spend a lot of time copy and pasting content on different platforms and it be turns inaccurate and tricky. I'm actually test other note taking systems and probably I will made a change. EN is expensive and needs some features than others already have for years. 

Vote for:

• Markdown and side by side preview
  • Export to competent formats
  • Code highlight for programmers
  • Plot simple graphs
  • Plugins to do all of then and more

Thanks

• Level 5

Reads as if there are a few items left from your personal x-mas wish list 😉

In general I think posting lists of ideas does not help - especially if they are mainly linked by ones personal use cases. The best way to drop them with EN IMHO is by using the feedback function build into the clients.

Feedback will not be answered, but EN PM promised to read them all 🧐

• Evernote Expert
On 12/28/2021 at 12:03 PM, iranzoferri said:
  • Plot simple graphs

You can, and should, use one of the many Markdown Editors which are fully featured. Save your work into a Markdown Document and store that inside Evernote. Evernote will then open that document in the MD Editor. Hit save and the updates are back insde Evernote.

If you truly want Evernote to be a Markdown Editor then I think you have set off with the wrong product. I suspect that the outcry would be very loud.

Another note-taking program that does have a MD editor is Joplin.

On 12/28/2021 at 12:03 PM, iranzoferri said:

I recently buy a license of EN, I love the minimal interface (easy to use) and they have a lot of features, but not sufficient for some people. I need Markdown in my day by day, I write and then spend a lot of time copy and pasting content on different platforms and it be turns inaccurate and tricky. I'm actually test other note taking systems and probably I will made a change. EN is expensive and needs some features than others already have for years. 

Vote for:

• Plot simple graphs

Thanks

I doubt if EN will become a Markdown editor with side by side views but it does use some Markdown for quickly formatting text.

Others have mentioned getting a proper MD editor... I use Zettlr and sync files to OneDrive or Zoho Workdrive. Writing a book in it!

One thing that has me using Obsidian instead of Evernote for task visibility rather than the Tasks on Evernote is the lack of Markdown on Evernote (I'm talking about macOS but this equally applies across all platforms). I like to use MindNode to do my planning in the morning and then export to something else. That usually is OmniFocus to see if I need to create a project, but actual tasks to get done during the day goes to my daily note in Obsidian (it's free if you use your own Sync - iCloud being the way I chose). I'm trying to find ways to make Evernote into something other than a filing drawer to take advantage of the new Tasks feature. But frankly friction gets in my way. And to pay for Evernote to just file my reference seems silly. But if my Markdown went into Tasks on Evernote then I can see some integration and less friction. The calendar integration was a good start! But it's not enough. 

I can't imagine it'd be all that difficult to add to the Tasks subsystem and make it cross platform.

• Level 5

To see elements of markdown take a look at the last section of the keyboard shortcuts. Not full markdown, but still a nice collection.

In general I would like to see markdown be added to the editor - but I see no sign that this will happen any time soon. But maybe I am reading the grapevine wrong !

• Level 5

First post, one word.

Wrong procedure, upvoting works by the arrow top left.

In general we do note appreciate irrelevant Ups and Downs in the forum - there is a voting function, and uttering isolated words (or even something like +1) does not add to the forum discussion or solutions. It just makes reading harder for everybody.

On 1/30/2022 at 1:24 PM, PinkElephant said:

To see elements of markdown take a look at the last section of the keyboard shortcuts. Not full markdown, but still a nice collection.

In general I would like to see markdown be added to the editor - but I see no sign that this will happen any time soon. But maybe I am reading the grapevine wrong !

I finally started to look into this and it actually does more than I thought! I'm going to see what I can do with it. Thanks for pointing it out! Sometimes it takes me a few months to try things. :)

• Like 1

I feel the same way as many others here. It would be great to be able to write markdown directly. In may case it could be very interesting for scratching code and then polish it in my applications: Rmarkdown reports and a Jekyll web page. That's all. This feature, nowadays, is a must-have.

As soon as the alternatives implement some ocr (even not handwrited), I'm out.

Em 10/03/2022 at 07:47, cesarkero disse:

I feel the same way as many others here. It would be great to be able to write markdown directly. In may case it could be very interesting for scratching code and then polish it in my applications: Rmarkdown reports and a Jekyll web page. That's all. This feature, nowadays, is a must-have.

As soon as the alternatives implement some ocr (even not handwrited), I'm out.

Same for me here. It's been many years since users began requesting and Evernote does nothing to implement it. 

• Evernote Expert

The fact that this request was acknowledged by Evernote in post 19 of this thread but the option hasn't arrived indicates that it isn't a high priority. For now, at least, there are many more fundamental issues to resolve.

It might assist, in the future, should markdown get some attention to identify which version of markdown is most wanted. I doubt multiple syntaxes will be supported.

I'm looking forward to hear how @Trebor68 has got on trying the elementary markdown that already exists in Evernote v10.

On 3/31/2022 at 10:38 AM, agsteele said:

The fact that this request was acknowledged by Evernote in post 19 of this thread but the option hasn't arrived indicates that it isn't a high priority. For now, at least, there are many more fundamental issues to resolve.

It might assist, in the future, should markdown get some attention to identify which version of markdown is most wanted. I doubt multiple syntaxes will be supported.

I'm looking forward to hear how @Trebor68 has got on trying the elementary markdown that already exists in Evernote v10.

My observation from a very limited time of playing with it, is that it works, but with the Evernote controls right there, there's not much reason to use Markdown. What would be better is if it could go back and forth and the note itself be markdown. The rendering could be whatever. I don't think that's a difficult stretch at all given that Electron uses Javascript libraries which know how to play with markdown just fine (see Obsidian as an example). That would give the user independence from Evernote. But it would also force Evernote to differentiate itself from Obsidian and other's in that group. But that challenge exists regardless of whether markdown is involved or not. It's just that Evernote is not very easy to export. Obsidian is stored on my iCloud Drive which automatically syncs to all of my devices. I will say the one shortcoming of that scenario is that it makes it a bit more difficult to embed media, etc. It's still doable and there are ways to make it work. It's just not as seamless as Evernote. Also, there is no web clipper for Obsidian. But to be fair to both tools, it feels like they are solving different problems. Obsidian is more of a PKM (Personal Knowledge Management) system, whereas Evernote (at least for me) is more of a filing cabinet. 

I could probably make either one work like the other, but why strain against how something is made? I will say it was my wife who made the decision to come back to Evernote as it's a familiar interface and the others (Craft, Nimbus, etc) have strong points but are confusing to her. She's not a techie like myself. 

I think markdown for export would be great, but I'm more interested in a real widget in iOS so I can just poke at the screen and go directly to what I want. I don't want to have to bring up Home in order to enter something or find something. I want less friction. And yeah I know I should (and will) be giving this feedback in the appropriate place.

But to answer your question it does seem to work to use the same idioms from Markdown. It just won't store the note as a markdown file. I can live with that for now, but I'd like to see them get that done eventually.

• Like 1

It's perhaps worth mentioning that some markdown is supported even though it is not on the official EN list. e.g. 

[title](https://www.example.com)

Given that any future improvements might be incremental to what we have already, are there any particular elements that people would love to see?

On 6/18/2022 at 11:22 AM, Mike P said:

It's perhaps worth mentioning that some markdown is supported even though it is not on the official EN list. e.g. 

[title](https://www.example.com)

Given that any future improvements might be incremental to what we have already, are there any particular elements that people would love to see?

Bold (**bold**), italic (*word*), and strikethrough (~~word~~) markdown support would be big wins for me. I would also use block quote ( > ), though I don't think Evernote actually supports block quote right now, so they'd have to add that support first.

• Like 2

Canceled my Premium account long time ago due to lack of MD support. I have a look back every now and than to see if it is time to renew. 

Nope, 7 years on top of requests and nothing.

• Level 5

Then be happy you took the right decision for yourself, you saved yourself some money.

However I don’t understand why you subscribed in first place - full markdown support was never advertised nor announced. If you wanted it, you simply bought the wrong solution, back then.

Be assured that those who continue their journey with EN have their own good reasons for subscribing. 

P.S. Before straying too far off topic: Would like to see MD as well, and voted for it a long time ago.

It's a shame because EN is so tantalizingly close.  "Auto Formatting" in "Keyboard Shortcuts" has headers, inline code, and code blocks.

I imagine MD image handling might be a PITA w/EN.  But more MD text formatting would be welcome.

I vote for "Block Quote" (>) support next...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

EN never tried to implement full markdown support. If they would have tried, the development of the new editor would have been the opportunity.

They did not do it, I think because they never had an intention to do. They realized some elements under the keyboard shortcuts header, and I think that is it for the time being.

This isn't directly related to this FR (native markdown support), but I wanted to share that I built a tool that allows you to take a directory of markdown files and turn them into .enex, to import as native notes into Evernote. Please take a look and try it out and let me know if it works for you... There are a few limitations (e.g. it doesn't handle embedded media), but otherwise it seems to work ok for my use case.

Details here:

On 1/4/2023 at 8:28 PM, PinkElephant said:

Maybe it simply is not on their list ?

Not everything some users want to get will be implemented - ever.

“Some” ? I think dev-s majority part of people who make a lot of notes and using note apps frequently . Do you guys  try research  note apps reviews ? Most of the time biggest Evernote Con is markdown. Even Agenda now have markdown  ! 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Maybe Evernote implement horizontal scrolling for code inside of Code Block on mobile platforms ?