Native Markdown Support

brampeirs

Idea

I won't threaten anyone by saying "add that markdown support or I'll leave you" because evernote ist simply too good at what it does.

But it would be niceĀ if there were at least some basic markdown tags to make formating notes a little easier.

I often use Evernote for summing up the content of something I read while I'm reading it. AĀ possibility for structuring the content via markdown (or any other way of quickly structuring text without having to manually change font size and weight) would be very welcome indeed.

Adding my vote for Markdown support

I'v been using Evernote since 2006 ! with premium subs. and just started to evaluate Bear which has MD as core feature

It hurts to say that as I'm a big fan of Evernote, but I'm overall concerned about responsiveness from Evernote on users's requests and bug fixes over the last Ys

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, laike9m said:

It's interesting that the Chinese version of Evernote(å°č±”ē¬”č®°ļ¼‰already added markdown support(see attached image)

Thanks for posting the screenshot with the markdown example
Is there any indication on the note to indicate markdown coding, or is markdown the default for all notes?

edit: Documentation atĀ https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=https://list.yinxiang.com/markdown/&prev=search
Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Looks like the notes are flagged as Markdown format
Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Click on the top menu bar - File - New Markdown Notes

4 å°ę™‚å‰, DTLowčŖŖ:

Thanks for posting the screenshot with the markdown example
Is there any indication on the note to indicate markdown coding, or is markdown the default for all notes?

edit: Documentation atĀ https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=https://list.yinxiang.com/markdown/&prev=search
Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Looks like the notes are flagged as Markdown format

Basically you create a markdown note using the M+ button on top right and that piece of note is created as a markdown note. Currently they support editing as md on Mac Chinese version of Evernote (and viewing on other platform), but it seems that the team is trying to implement the functionality to all platforms.

Just want to add a +1

Evernote is great but I am checking every here and then for an alternative with markdown.

For me the core features in evernote are webclipper, tags and reminders. As soon as someone else, e.g. simplenote catches up (there only the webclipper is missing) I am going to leave Evernote alone.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, lubob said:

Evernote is great but I am checking every here and then for an alternative with markdown.

I'm enjoying using Evernote as storage for my markdown files.1823724820_ScreenShot2018-11-22at07_34_54.png.04cba60868c2f24be66bc1ee143eaa91.png
There are many alternatives to the Evernote editor

Here's a sample from my Mac; my choice is Typora
I like that it presents a wysiwyg display, at the same time giving access to the markup tags

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, AiD said:

By the way, did anyone notice that even the comment box has more text formatting options than

Oh, the irony... oh wait, but it doesn't have Markdown, either...

I would want markdown support if Evernote allowed us to sort notes in a manual order (via click and drag, NOT via naming them 001, 002, etc.). I subscribeĀ to Ulysses and run a virtual machine on my PC to use it because manual sorting such a critical feature for me.Ā 

If you have a Mac/iPhone/iPad/are willing to put up with a virtual machine on your PC, and need markdown support, give Ulysses a look.Ā 

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, demonofsarila said:

I would want markdown support if Evernote allowed us to sort notes in a manual order

These are two valid requests, but why are you connecting them?

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

These are two valid requests, but why are you connecting them?

Did you even bother to read my whole post?

17 minutes ago, demonofsarila said:

I subscribeĀ to Ulysses and run a virtual machine on my PC to use it because manual sorting such a critical feature for me.ļ»æĀ 

Ā 

To give this a case study, though maybe not specifically markdown:

Any idea how long it takes me to set up headers? Far more than it needs to be. I should be able, rather than setting a size, bold, italics, etc., that will not be consistent across all my notes, unless I remember every little detail. I should be able to pull down from a list and choose, Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. Simple.

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, Shanta said:

Iļ»æ ļ»æshould be able to pull down from a list and choose, Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. Simple.ļ»æļ»æļ»æ

Evernote doesn't have support for a styles pull down list.

You might be interested in third-party Evertool, linked below
Heading1, Heading2 ... and markdown

Ā 

On 9/26/2018 at 4:51 AM, greenhamsam said:

I have been a Premium user for over 5 years, my entire life is in Evernote,Ā and am on the verge of leaving the service because of the lack of this feature. It's becoming a deal-breaker for me. Markdown is the standard for most newer note taking apps. At the moment, I'm running three note taking apps concurrently: increasingly, I'm just using Evernote as a file and web clippings storage dump area, Google Keep (with a Markdown extension) for notes, lists and thoughts, and Ulysses (a Markdown writing tool) toĀ develop notes into actual articles and books. This is SO irritating because I am constantly switching between three apps.

With Markdown support, I would be able to move entirely back to Evernote for all my note taking AND writing needs. Once again, it would become the most important app in my life.

Writing in Markdown lets me:

• Create proper structure to long and complex notes
  • Move from a rough thought, to research, to a full article, and even to a book, without worrying about formatting (I can focus on content)
  • Simply export and publish myĀ writing to almost any publishing outlet (blogs, my actual print publisher... they all want Markdown!)

More and more, I'm asking myself why I'm paying so much money every year for Evernote when I could just use Google Drive for storage. You're already failing me for the actual notes-taking and writing parts. I know I'm not the only one who's thinking this.

Please guys:Ā I love Evernote and I don't want to move my entire workflow over to a new system, but you are leaving me no choice.

Totally agree with this. I am using Evernote just because I already have many notes there, and because of the Scanning feature.

For my normal workflow, I moved to Trello because it supports Markdown.

• Like 1

Just about everything I write these days is in markdown. The one exception is Evernote. I do not use markdown for my notes because it is a pain in Evernote. It is not a great project to support markdown editing and display. The lack of markdown support diminishes the tool. Please add markdown support.

I've been using an app called Journey for journaling, and their approach is to do markdown inline with syntax-based highlighting/updates to "preview" what your text would look like. Then when you look at the note outside of "edit" mode, you see the properly-rendered version.

I would love to see something like this for Evernote. I don't need a separate pane, but some simple syntax previews coupled with markdown rendering when you're not editing a note would be really great.

I really don't understand why Evernote misses this opportunity. When I do the notes, I don't really need all rich-text flexibility, i don't want to care about the style - what I really want is a way to structure my thoughts with headers, lists and tables. And it is perfectly solved with Markdown.Ā 

Btw, the markdown may be displayed with different styles, which ones even may be sold in the internal store - so it is even an opportunity to increase sales per user.

I don't want to switch to another tools, but with no markdown support I would not have a choice in recent future.

• Like 1

Markdown, LaTeX, and (this will never happen) Emacs Org mode support would all be super useful for me as well as a way to paste in check boxes from plain text. (The latter could be accomplished by a regex looking for ^\s*-?\s*\[x|X| \]\s* or something like that maybe. Seems do-able.)

åœØ 2018/8/29 åœØ AM2點08分, Shane D.čŖŖ:

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting Markdown support have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity.Ā 

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for Markdown supportĀ here!

it's working progress ???

Ā 

Yes please! I used Evernote for a long time but mostly abandoned actively using & adding to my Evernote in favor of Markdown. The reason is that I am able to extend my markdown documents in-depth through apps like Editorial on the iPhone/iPad and Atom on the Mac. I would really like to be able to import my Markdown notes to Evernote because the sharing capabilities of Evernote still make it an ideal platform for certain uses in my work.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, gjohnh said:

Theļ»æ rļ»æeason is ļ»æthat I am able to extend my markdown documents in-depth through apps like Editorial on the iPhone/iPad ļ»æand Atom onļ»æ the Mļ»æacļ»æļ»æ. ļ»æ

I'm able to extend my word processing documents using apps like Word/Pages on the iPad and Mac. Ā I'm able to extend my spreadsheets using Excel/Numbers on the iPad and Mac. ...

These are stored in Notes as file attachments

19 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm able to extend my word processing documents using apps like Word/Pages on the iPad and Mac. Ā I'm able to extend my spreadsheets using Excel/Numbers on the iPad and Mac. ...

These are stored in Notes as file attachments

Not really the same thing.Ā  There are dozens of times that I need the same content over and over again into an email or a document or a presentation.Ā  I use Evernote as the "holding pen" for those snippets that I continually refine and use throughout my multiple "work lives" and being able to have formatted content that can easily be put into multiple documents would be a gigantic timesaver.

And, if the file attachment mechanism works for you, you can keep using it.Ā  We're not askingĀ yourĀ workflow to change.

I amĀ stronglyĀ advocating for Markdown because the formatting in Evernote is extremely wonky.Ā  There's no easy format painter and I often find myself copying a note into a plain text editor just to copy it back into Evernote and reformat to ensure the formatting is consistent throughout.

Markdown would also simplify formatting for notes that are continually revised with content from multiple sources.

PLEASE add this feature.Ā  It would be a huge productivity boost for many of us.

On 4/22/2019 at 2:38 AM, ThomasZ said:

I donā€™t want to have another One Note that is clumsy for formatting.

1000% this.Ā  I am able to use OneNote for free through my employer but I still stick with Evernote because it has been the easiest to organize and use for years.Ā 

Now that Markdown is so ubiquitous in other tools, however, it's vital for Evernote to include it simply so we can keep a streamlined workflow through all of the tools we need to touch throughout the day.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

As a work around, I use iaWriter on my iPad Pro.

But it means a more complicated workflow, and the need to jump between apps to and fro.

Typora on Mac/Windows

• Level 5

iaWriter is available on the Mac as well, but much more expensive that on the iPad. So if one can switch devices, it is o.k. to use the iPad for the job. If you are not a heavy user, the Mac apps are often simply too expensive for an occasional job.

This is similar with many other apps - I hope that by the new feature of Catalina (ex Marzipan), there will be more and more affordable apps flowing from the iPad to the Mac.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, eayllon1 said:

Markdownļ»æ is aļ»æn essential feature to how Iļ»æ take notes. ļ»æļ»æ

There is a request posted at the top of the discussion. Ā You can indicate your support using tne vote button at the top left corner of the discussion.

Markdown is not supported by the Evernote editor, but notes can contain files of any format, including Markdown. Ā  You can use an external Markdown editor to edit the file.

• Level 5

I am in favor of getting markup capability, and voted for this feature as well some time ago.

Just a word of caution: I do not think that adding this will be completely simple. It means additional stuff onĀ the editor itself, plus an export function to make the markdown content usable for example as input for a blog or website. Just because a dedicated markdown editor looks simple, it is not necessarily so in the engine that drives it.

Because EN focuses on unifying the existing editor at the moment, I think that ā€ždeepā€œ additional features will not be part of the next release. This is far from ā€žnot listeningā€œ, it is just setting the priorities on features that will serve all users.

On 8/13/2019 at 8:28 PM, Ohad said:

As already mentioned above, I'm also reaching a point where I will abandon my beloved Evernote to another (e.g. bear-writer.com)

it's almost 2020 and there is no support for Markdown. how is it possible??

Maybe evernote should be open source and let their users to implement Markdown support.

• Level 5

Fine if you found your personal way of doing things better supported by another app.

Competition is what keeps the wheel turning and innovation flowing.

I think for myself that switching apps just to get markdown ability is a rather weak argument. There are enough editors around that provide markdown if I need it - but no app that supports my usecase for filing away and finding information like EN does.

But as I say: Competition is good for anybodyā€™s improvement.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

There are enough editors around that provide markdown if I need it -

And generate .md files that can be stored in a note as a file attachment.

Thanks to this post, I wouldn't even consider subscribing to Evernote like Everrrr...Even the most basic apps on Appstore these days support Text markup like Markdown, Textile..Ā and some form of automatic processing.

Without Markdown support, the rest of the features of Evernote are quite useless. Who has time to sit and photoshop your text documents to awesomeness..

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, hmr said:

Without Markdown support, the rest of the features of Evernote are quite useless

Actually the Evernote featuresĀ are quite useful, as well as the html support

Notes can contain files of any format; no problem with Markdown files - use an external editor
I use Typora and Textastic

>>It'sĀ not useful to use an external editor.

IĀ find external editors quite useful

The Evernote editor works well for basic notes, but I need other formats; MarkDown, Ā Word, Excel, ...

>>MarkdownĀ syntax generates a preview

Evernote has inline viewers for some file formats (pdf, office/iworks, ...)Ā A markdown viewer would be Ā useful

Of course. I also use a lot of external editors for different purposes.Ā I was not clear, I'm sorry,Ā I mean it's notĀ productive to be writing markdown in an external editor, pasting into Evernote and sending back to external editor when I want to edit this markdown file. But I respect your opinion. I just think there are a lot of people that could be picked up by Evernote (like developers community) by offering thisĀ feature additionallyĀ without affecting features that is offered for already satisfied customers like you, just a new kind of note.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
On 8/24/2019 at 4:33 PM, luizgama said:

Certainly moderation will not approve my message

The Evernote staff (I'm not one) appreciate all feature requests, and there's nothing in this one to not "approve". This one's been made before and been discussed pretty thoroughly, and for the sake of the forums here, I've merged your request and ensuing discussion with an already existing identical one. Feel free to upvote at the top left of the topic...

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 10/1/2019 at 2:30 PM, Ewright0 said:

It's actually somewhat upsetting considering how long Evernote has been around and how many other competing apps support Markdown, that Evernote does not.

And yet, Evernote is a very successful application by most measures. Many, many people are able to get by without Markdown. And some folks use third-party tools like Marxico. As for competitors, it's a bit hit or miss. OneNote, probably the most visible and comparable competitor, doesn't support Markdown natively. Others do support Markdown, sure, but they can have other weaknesses that don't compare favorably to Evernote.Ā Markdown is a killer feature for some folks, and a "WTF is Markdown anyways?" for others. In other words, one feature out of a number of possible features on which to base your choice of note keeper software (or whatever category Evernote is in).

Not only that, but there's no justifiable reason why Evernote does not, and in addition, no staff member has commented here yet for YEARS to help clear this up.

So the question here is what do you mean by adding Markdown? If you mean Markdownish shortcuts to produce specific formatting, Evernote has done some of that in various of its clients, and could do more, but that's only a one-way thing. If you mean full two-way Markdown support, then that's where things get tricky. Evernote stores all of its note content in ENML, an XHTML derivative (https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php), and adding Markdown support would necessitate changes to ENML to accommodate the new content type .. So are we talking about a Markdown specific note type? Or are weĀ  talking about modes where eitherĀ the original Markdown or the resulting formatting is shown? How is the Markdown stored? How is round-tripping ENML _> Markdown --> ENML accomplished? How easy areĀ all/any of these? If it's not trivial (I don't know for sure, not being privy to the code, but that's my guess) then it's certainly then a matter of Evernote's internal prioritization process. Bottom line: it's an entirely justifiable decision for them to make.

That no staff member has discussed t for awhile isn't particularly meaningful.Ā  They don't discuss in the forums all decisions that they make in general, and if their prioritization calculation hasn't changed, then there's no real reason to keep repeating themselves. And even if they do have it in the works, they are pretty gun-shy about pre-announcing features.

Very poor PR for Evernote, as well as a lost solution for money for them.

Dunno about PR, but the real question is how much money would it add to the bottom line vs how much would it cost to add it and how much they might lose by implementing something else. In other words, the usual calculations that development companies make all the time.

Ultimately, the decision to not support markdown is, sorry for the use of the word, STUPID. It just doesn't make sense.

Asking for Markdown support is a fair request, of course (and a popular one, too),Ā but calling Evernote's decision "STUPID" doesn't seem to make sense, at least without further knowledge of what's really behind it..

• Level 5*
On 10/18/2019 at 7:12 AM, jefito said:

IfĀ youĀ mean full two-way Markdown supportĀ  ... Ā So are we talking about a Markdown specific note type?Ā Ā 

My take on the solution is

• Two-way markdown
    specificĀ note types; enml and markdown
  • separate editor modules

>>How is the Markdown stored?

Currently, notes contain aĀ content.enmlĀ componentĀ 
For markdown, a content.mdĀ component is required

MarxicoĀ tries toĀ embedĀ the markdown code within the enml/html code. Ā 
It's tricky and messy

>>modes where eitherĀ the original Markdown or the resulting formatting is shown?

I vote for Both
I use the Typora app on my Mac; the resulting format is shown. Ā 
When editing, the specific element reverts to markdown code

I'd like this option for the enml/html code. Ā Currently I have to switch to a text editor to update the code

I'm paying for many years now.

I actuallyĀ cannot believe that EN still seems to be thinking about implementing markdown or not.

People won't tell you, but they will just leave to somewhere else.Ā 

Poor support for MS Office content is one thing, as I can imagine it is not easy to keep up to date with their changes.
But a minimalistic, widespread format as markdown should really be a no-brainer.

I also consider it as a very poor customer relationship behavior to not continuously inform the user base on plans. I see signs that further development/improvement is slowed down and it is not much invested into the product anymore. Just cash in and hoping existing users fear the migration efforts. That would be theĀ beginning of the end.Ā We've seen this behavior before with other tools...

Another few months, and I'm most probably gone.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, EffBee said:

Poor support for MS Office content is one thing

This should be posted as a separate request, but I'm curious about the "MS Office content" reference
I have no problem storing MS Office documents as attachments in my notes (along with Markdown files)

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, eayllon1 said:

Yes, markdown shortcuts is exactly what I want.

I'm actually seeing someĀ markdownish shortcuts in the Evernote editor Ā  Ā 
They're not well received by the general user base; we see many "how doĀ I turn thisĀ off" posts Ā  Ā 
The original request is for native support, as in the markdown code would be preserved

The latest shortcuts in the web beta set heading styles

• Level 5*
On 11/23/2019 at 12:51 PM, eayllon1 said:

I guess they're not considering how much customer retention they're losing for not having a core feature to many. That's probably more important than gaining new clients.

My guess is that they actually have a fair idea of what it's costing them, and also what it would cost (time/money) to implement, and they haven't been able to do it yet because of that. But we're both guessing here, aren't we?

On 11/23/2019 at 12:51 PM, eayllon1 said:

Yes, markdown shortcuts is exactly what I want. Nuclino (project management Wiki app) has that exact functionality, and possibly the best example I can think of.Ā Formatting headings takes way too long for productive clean notes on Evernote.Ā 

They already have some of this in at least the Windows client; adding more would be a lot easier than implementing a full Markdown round-tripping solution (which appears to be what other folks want), and -- providing you could also disable them -- not be bothersome to those who don't need Markdown.

I think if Evernote is not going to support this standard, I have to take my attention to a product that does.
For the sake of transparency, what do the dev teams definfĀ as the most difficult aspect of integrating
Markdown with Evernote. I've resisted subscribing toĀ Evernote because it is notĀ  robust enough to
commit all my time. My workflow needs to be smooth for it to be useful and economical for my time.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Ken.I. said:

For the sake of transparency, what do the dev teams definfĀ as the most difficult aspect of integrating
Markdown with Evernote.

I haven't seen any feedback from developers on this integration
I know the majority of users are unwilling to fund development for this product

I would also love to see markdown if y'all can figure out how to make it work well.Ā  But... I think the reason it isn't implemented is fairly obvious: Markdown has 2 distinct modes, authoring (with markdown syntax) and viewing (with rendered styles). NotesĀ are meant to be edited and read and changed and used as you go.Ā  "Note taking" is not the same thing as "authoring", and writing Markdown is definitely a form of "authoring".

I'll be migrating by 1400 Notes to a nn app that supports markdown unless Evernote commitĀ for include this ubiquitous feature in a forthcoming release. I don't see what the problem is: arrogance ,stubbornness, we know better than the market. ThisĀ is how all apps die...

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Feliope Largo said:

app that supports markdown

My favourite markdown app is Typora, on a Mac

>>migratingĀ by 1400 Notes

Evernote's baseĀ format is enml (basically html), but attachments can be any format
I'm not familiar with any converter services Ā  Ā 
My approach forĀ markdown notes is to use .md files, stored in Evernote as attachments

>>Ā I don'tĀ seeĀ what the problemĀ is

Neither do I. Ā I'm able to chose whichever editor is best for the job

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

@Feliope LargoĀ thanks for posting your position. I am supporting the idea of including markdown into the EN editor as well.

Just one more thought: You write about the market, ignoring customers etc. Currently you are using EN on a free account. Thus you are no part of a market, because it is defined as exchanging value / money against goods / services. And you are no customer, for the same reason. You are a user, and have a voice here, thatā€™s o.k. For me your vote would carry more weight if you would as well contribute to the cost of the development you desire.

5 years since the initial request has been posted and Evernote still hasn't supported lol.

I am going to switch to some other note applications. Can anyone kindly provide some suggestions? So far I just know Typora is a pretty nice and lightweightĀ option.

On 1/4/2020 at 2:08 PM, Heidi Duan said:

5 years since the initial request has been posted and Evernote still hasn't supported lol.

I am going to switch to some other note applications. Can anyone kindly provide some suggestions? So far I just know Typora is a pretty nice and lightweightĀ option.

Joplin is promising for a similar feature set to Evernote, with native Markdown.

• Level 5*
On 1/4/2020 at 1:08 PM, Heidi Duan said:

Can anyone kindly provide some suggestions? So far I just know Typora is a pretty nice and lightweightĀ option.

Typora is my choice for using markdown on a Mac Ā Ā 
I store the .md files in Evernote as note attachments

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, cpinegar said:

Joplin is promising for a similar feature set to Evernote, with native Markdown.

Evidently Joplin used Markdown as its native format. (https://joplinapp.org/#markdown).

Evernote does not (https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php), and that's the crux of the problem. Round-tripping from Evernote format to Markdown and back to Evernote is not trivial.

Not sure where Joplin lines up vis-a-vis feature set (or performance, or convenience, etc.), so no opinion there. If Markdown is critical for your use case, and 3rd-party tools like Marxico don't cut it for you, then you should probably use a tool that handles Markdown well. If that's Joplin, well then, there you go...

@jefitoĀ I get that ENML is completely different from MD and I understand why.Ā Ā However,Ā the EN devs could recognize some of the MD syntax and translate it. Ā It would be super convenient to be able to place text in triple quotes for code snippets and such.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Jim Bonds said:

@jefitoĀ I get that ENML is completely different from MD and I understand why.Ā Ā However,Ā the EN devs could recognize some of the MD syntax and translate it. Ā It would be super convenient to be able to place text in triple quotes for code snippets and such.

I don't know what post of mine you're responding to, butĀ I certainly get that Markdown is an important feature for a fair number of Evernote users,Ā and indeed, some Evernote clients (the Windows client anyways) do actually support use of some Markdown-ish syntax as a one-shot operation (e.g. I type '* ' and it adds a bullet point), and all of that's fine and should be added to other Evernote clients as well. My problem is that some folks expect more, like the ability to go back and forth between Markdown and Evernote formats (i.e. View as Markdown vs. View as Evernote), and that just doesn't seem feasible. These are two separate features, and a lot of folks are asking for the latter, as far as I can tell.

If you're asking for the former, more power to you. If you're asking for the latter, well, I have my doubts.

BTW, on Windows, Ctrl+Shift+L gives me a new code block (or creates one containing any selected text). It's not clear to me why the Markdown would be easier than that. Horses for course, I guess...

If you think markdown will only be used by developpers, businesses and professionals, think again.

Markdown or any markup is a very fast way to format things without the need to click a button or remember a shortcut!

See Bear for iOS / macOS. How fast is that?! Would have saved me a lot of time to apply formatting on the go when I was taking notes for school!

The main reason I do not use Bear is because it is Apple exclusive when I use Android or work with people using other platforms. Plus, I learned how to use Evernote so why would I change?

It is unbelievable that a note-taking app doesn't have a formatting on-the-go equivalent to markdown! Some system that helps you format your notes quickly and easily without spending 30% of your time formatting your notes!!!
If you do not want to integrate markdown, include a similar/equivalent system to make it as easy as a Bear writer at least.

If there is such system, I didn't find it and I would love to be proven wrong. :)

So far, I only found the auto-formatting:
https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001758468-How-to-use-auto-formatting

Which does not include title size (e.g. H1, H2...) nor change the size of the font on-the-go.

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, LynuSBell said:

If you think markdown will only be used by developpers, businesses and professionals, think again.
Markdown or any markup is a very fast way to format things without the need to click a button or remember a shortcut!

I don't know which post you're responding to.
No one is disputing that Markdown is a valuable tool for some users

>>It is unbelievable that a note-taking app doesn't have a formatting on-the-go equivalent to markdown!

Well believe it - there are many editors that don't support Markdown
It is unbelievableĀ that of all the available editors, you choose to use one that doesn'tĀ support markdown
-Ā My choice is Typora (Mac). Ā I store the .md files in Evernote as attachments

• Level 5*
On 1/10/2020 at 7:18 AM, LynuSBell said:

The contra is thatĀ for some of usĀ buttons and shortcuts are faster then remembering Markdown code.Ā  Me being in that category.Ā  Potato potahto I suppose.Ā  I would prefer someĀ  completeness and uniformity of format and formattingĀ across platforms before adding any new stuff.Ā  Like a table thatĀ column wraps on one device and not on the other, using default fonts in both cases.Ā  No issue at all if EN adds Markdown, more power to those that want it.Ā  I'd just like some consistency in the formatting and display with default fonts I control.Ā  Ā Ā šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

21 hours ago, DTLow said:

I don't know which post you're responding to.
No one is disputing that Markdown is a valuable tool for some users

>>It is unbelievable that a note-taking app doesn't have a formatting on-the-go equivalent to markdown!

Well believe it - there are many editors that don't support Markdown
It is unbelievableĀ that of all the available editors, you choose to use one that doesn'tĀ support markdown
-Ā My choice is Typora (Mac). Ā I store the .md files in Evernote as attachments

But that's the thing. I don't want an editor. I don't want to code my notes. I just want the fast ability to format my notes as I write like I would write text.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, LynuSBell said:

I don't want to code my notes.

The aboveĀ request is for native markdown support Ā  Ā 
An example is thatĀ boldĀ text is coded as **bold**Ā and stored in the Evernote database as such
Currently, Evernote stores the text asĀ <b>bold</b>Ā (html), however we never see the code

The markdown support is certainly important. However, from my perspective it has two main features: the import of .md formatted files and the "on-the-go" edition.
The former has not been done, but it seems like an easy problem to solve. Translate, create the file and continue, should be straight forward. The latter is the complicated one.

Nevertheless, have you used Evernote lately?

I mean, the support for Markdown is partial, but it is there already. I checked it today and I was gladly surprised since this is aĀ veryĀ useful feature. Just try it out!

(# + space) gives you the biggest header.
(## + space) gives you the second biggest.

There is also the auto-formatting that you can find here:Ā https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001758468

You will say "cursive and bold is not supported!".
True, it is not supported yet, but in the meantime you can do (ctrl + b) and (ctrl + i). It works just fine and you probably are used to those shortcuts anyways.

I do expect the feature of fully supporting Markdown comes, but the effort that has been done in this is great comparing with the state of the product 5 years ago.

Be grateful and help them prioritise which Markdown formatting to support first. The whining attitude is helping no one.

Just wanted to add my voice to the clamour for this feature. Existing users needn't be affected by it. You could have tabs where the default (unless changed in preferences) is to display the formatted view as at present. But another tab switches you to the markdown view. The way Enterprise Git Hub switches between markdown and preview mode for example.