Native Markdown Support

brampeirs

Idea

I think the bottom line here is that people want this feature. Markdown isn't just some obscure formatting anymore that only programmers/certain fields can understand and use. You can see it being used more everywhere. It's easy and convenient. People want that.

Now regardless of their promise, whether it's coming some time """soon""" or that it's just """basic""" markdown, people want this. Actual Markdown support that works like one would expect and not some watered down version of it. This is the feature request forum. Supposed Gurus saying "Find another tool then" isn't only unhelpful but rude. People want to use Evernote AND Markdown. Not a bunch of work-arounds or be forced to leave Evernote. You being contented with the system you've come up with is completely irrelevant.

They're requesting for it to happen because they want it and it's not so weird for people to express frustration about how slow Evernote is progressing with these requests (if at all) or responding if they'd do it at all. I mean it only took them 4 years to finally acknowledge the Dark Theme request and people have been very vocal about it. Who knows how long it would take if everyone just shut up and voted.

• Level 5*
On 2017-11-08 at 9:57 AM, Adreng said:

I think the bottom line here is that people want this feature.

I agree that some users want this feature - the current vote count is 5a053c12cecdf_ScreenShot2017-11-09at21_41_19.png.ec3f4971c762df9c7adb2dc8a295520a.png

For me, the bottom line is Evernote has not indicated an interest in implementing this feature

I also agree that there is a need to integrate math equations in Evernote.

MarkDown would probably be the most widely used format.

I've tried to use MathType with Evernote. The results have been inconsistent. MathType saves as MarkDown, png or pdf. Instertion of pdfs is bulky in the note. I was trying to use either MarkDown (LaTeX) or png. The png option worked intermittently. I contacted MathType tech support who tried it on his system and suggested Evernote (Mac) was stripping or reducing the header information on the png so that it couldn't be re-imported to MathType for adjusting. I have had problems importing multiple png-formatted equations into a single note. It seemed to work with 1 png.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, lpuerto said:

@DTLow I don't think this feature would be an incredible amount of work and a lot of people like Evernote and pay for it, and like to simplicity of markdown for formatting. 

What would be your estimate for the amount of work required; hours, $?

There is an existing 3rd party product available (Marxico)    Evernote could integrate that service into their product.

Its not a feature I use, or am willing to pay for ($16US yearly), but close to 400 users have indicated support

I rely on Evernote a lot in my professional and personal life.  I am a web developer and it is great for keeping content snippets, sharing content, and collaborating.  Markdown is amazing to supplement the content that I create ( I use github a lot ).  Please, please add native markdown support.

I'm late to the party I know...

Evernote Markdown support is the top voted feature request in this forum, with hundreds of votes over a year, and no sign of any support coming. If you read the thread, it's quite big, there is a lot of people asking for it but no responses from Evernote. There is even some comments which could be rephrased as "F*** you, it doesn't have it, go away and use something else". 

image.thumb.png.937c5bffc62f9a7fc20616bd39c6a4d2.png

I seriously question Evernotes customer practices when they are simply ignoring what people are asking for. I no longer pay for Evernote as I am considering my options. 

On 18/11/2016 at 3:18 PM, DTLow said:

If markdown support is the most important feature for you, you should be looking at another product.
If purple highlighting is the most important feature for you, you should be looking at another product.
If .... (this list could go on and on)

In addition to whining, you can add your support to the feature requests using the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion.  It will help indicate the request priorities

I'm late to the party I know...

The whole point of this area of the forum is for making feature requests, and Markdown is the highest voted feature request. I think there is simply a lot of frustration that people feel ignored by Evernote on their own platform. 

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, MySecretUser said:

There is even some comments which could be rephrased as "F*** you, it doesn't have it, go away and use something else". 

Or they could be rephrased as "if Evernote doesn't have all of the features that you require, then you should consider using using some other application", which is a sensible approach for many things in life, including software applications.

I seriously question Evernotes customer practices when they are simply ignoring what people are asking for.

But the fact of the matter is that they haven't ignored the request. In the Windows client, at least, they've implemented some shortcuts for Markdown-like input (let's not even get into a discussion of the fact that "deciding to not implement at this time" does not mean the same thing as "ignoring"). On the other hand, I think that a full Markdown implementation might not be as feasible as some folks think; round-tripping between Markdown and Evernote format appears to be problematic. Evernote has evidently chosen to put their development resources into other areas. This makes a certain amount of sense due to the presence of an existing Markdown/Evernote solution, the Marxico editor. Evernote focuses on what it does best (including supporting 3rd party developers), and the Marxico developer focuses they do best (Markdown editing).

I no longer pay for Evernote as I am considering my options

Everyone should always consider their options. Fortunately for you, Evernote still lets you use their service for free...

Most blogs, wiki etc are written with markdown. 
It is a bit simplistic to state it is just about an exotic  feature.

Upvoting a feature request is not a guarantee at all of implementation.
Look how long we have to wait for a linux version.

Evernote does not suit our needs to write technical docs, so we move to pure markdown editors and cloud sync.
Such as Haroopad or as said,  laverna that is currently our best option we did see so far.

Oh yes, we are premium user. But not for long anymore. You serve the demands of your clients or they leave.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Amtriorix said:

You serve the demands of your clients or they leave.

The demand thing may work for you
My thinking is if the product/service doesn't address my requirements I look elsewhere

I also need more features than those in the Evernote editor; it seems more fitted to simple notes
My solution is to use dedicated editor apps, and attach the documents to Evernote as a note attachment

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

My thinking is if the product/service doesn't address my requirements I look elsewhere

Sort of my thinking too.

Over the years I've learned you usually are better off working around the limitations of a program than waiting for it to change. There are some exceptions. Some companies, some products, are tremendously responsive to user requests. Dynalist and Everdo come to mind. Others, like Evernote, have a history of not being so responsive. Once you know that, that's it; you either accept it the way it is or you move on to something else. 

But it's good to try; to see if asking helps. Many people on the forum are new(er) so they don't know Evernote has a very clear product vision which they follow before going back and forth here with feature requests.

• Level 5*
On 2018-01-24 at 3:47 AM, yunti said:

Does evernote support code blocks (and syntax highlighting) like markdown.   When I search online it seemed to be in earlier version under Format->Code Block but I can't find it there?

No, Evernote editor does not support syntax highlighting or markdown

Yes, Evernote has a code block feature  5a68f769dd7f4_ScreenShot2018-01-24at13_12_46.png.180c4da93b8977fe6b88bd5d14ed7326.png
The images are from my Mac, direct download5a68f7672a5a4_ScreenShot2018-01-24at13_13_30.png.5fcf21c2e8cf112ce1a3c657517c1963.png

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Mike Assel said:

When is Evernote going to support Markdown?  I to will be looking for a new app soon if Evernote continues to drag it's feet on Markdown support.

They've never said whether they'll ever support it or not. They do offer Markdown-ish shortcuts in their desktop applications, but obviously that's not the same thing. There is a third-party solution, Marxico, which may work for you. But if Markdown is a requirement for you, and Marxico doesn't cut it, then yes, you should be looking for a new tool.

@ruudhein

I see your point, though don't fully agree. MD can be done without altering the text displayed, in a live systax highlighting way. So if you type 'hello' you see exactly that. But if you type **hello** you see  **hello**. This doesn't need a separate viewing pane, nor does it require users who don't use it to even know it exists. The structure of markup is such that a non-MD user wouldn't be having those in their text anyway.

In the end, the goal of MD for me is to have a consistent formatting. I wan to do #Heading, ##subHeading and it be consistent across each and every note. In Evernote I have to remember what the font is, font size, bold, etc. Google Drive has the predefined (but still customisable) styles, which would be another way of tackling what I was looking for. 

@jefito

The ignoring part refers to lack of discussion in the thread. A no we're not implementing that at this time, etc. To you rephrased point, saying that in here, would have negated my point. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, MySecretUser said:

@jefito

The ignoring part refers to lack of discussion in the thread. A no we're not implementing that at this time, etc. To you rephrased point, saying that in here, would have negated my point. 

Sure, we'd all probably like more feedback on what features are important / interesting enough for Evernote to want to implement. But it's generally not been their policy in the past to announce such things (it's on our todo list, we're not interested in that, we'll never do that, etc.) in the forums much. Hopefully that will change, but that's the way it is now. 

BTW, have you checked out the 3rd-party Marxico application, which works with Evernote?

On 09/02/2018 at 10:06 PM, jefito said:

BTW, have you checked out the 3rd-party Marxico application, which works with Evernote?

Yes I have and it's a decent attempt but does not suit the needs. Ideally Alternote would have a Windows client, but that's not going to happen as they are Mac developers, it's continually 'on the roadmap'

The problem with Marxico is that you're outside of EN. You don't have the same flow of accessing notes, you have to rely upon search and abstracted note saving etc.

The second problem is editing inside EN. You can't do it, for Marxico to maintain control and understanding of the note, you have to edit within it. So when moving to a phone, you're screwed. For doing a quick update, change etc, you're screwed. 

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, MySecretUser said:

The second problem is editing inside EN. You can't do it, for Marxico to maintain control and understanding of the note, you have to edit within it. So when moving to a phone, you're screwed. For doing a quick update, change etc, you're screwed. 

This is the general problem for Evernote with respect to Markdown: Evernote can contain and display formatting (https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php), at least some of it Markdown cannot express. Think of web clipping, and all of the crazy formatting out there that can wind up in an Evernote note. As best I can figure, Markdown and Evernote would be an input-only proposition: once Markdown goes into Evernote, it's converted into some kind of style attribute based markup that may or may not be recognizable as Markdown-specific, so then you're stuck editing in the general Evernote editor anyways (note: I don't know what Marxico does, as I'm not a Marxico users, so the preceding is a little theoretical). Maybe they could add some sort of id attribute based system for dealing with semantic styles, including predefined or user-defined styles, since a lot of people want those (I do too).  But I don't know; it all sounds kind of clunky to me. 

Definitely +1 this - it's astonishing that a feature-rich app like Evernote doesn't support a writing tool as ubiquitous as Markdown. I am actively researching alternatives just for this single feature. If I were an Evernote PM I would take note (no pun intended)...

On 12/02/2018 at 5:33 PM, jefito said:

As best I can figure, Markdown and Evernote would be an input-only proposition: once Markdown goes into Evernote, it's converted into some kind of style attribute based markup that may or may not be recognizable as Markdown-specific, so then you're stuck editing in the general Evernote editor anyways 

Hi,

Markdown notes could be a different type of notes, stuck in the MD format. And then you could transform it in a general note, without beeing able to edit it in MD anymore.

Just an idea.

Alex

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, Calexo said:

And then you could transform it in a general note, without beeing able to edit it in MD anymore.

I'm more in favour of translating MD when entered.

I wouldn't want the "without being able to edit it in MD anymore".  I can manage with not maintaining the MD format

If I wanted to maintain the MD format, I'd be using a separate document as an attachment to a note.

On 16/02/2018 at 12:53 PM, DTLow said:

I'm more in favour of translating MD when entered.

I wouldn't want the "without being able to edit it in MD anymore".  I can manage with not maintaining the MD format

If I wanted to maintain the MD format, I'd be using a separate document as an attachment to a note.

I would be very happy with that too. Just something more complete rather than just bullets. 

All we need next is titles, a way for consistent titles, that's all I want. 

• Bullets we have (* ),
  • Numbers we have (1. )
  • Bold we have (Ctrl+B),
  • Italics we have (Ctrl+I),
  • Links we have (paste),
  • Checkbox we have ([x]),
  • Rule we have (---),
  • Table we have ([][][]x2).

But nothing for titles (We could use #, ##, etc, or Ctrl+1, Ctrl+2, etc). Titles are an essential piece in structure, I'm really fathomed at why that's been left out 

image.png.e54249f716575db8dc546bd8e9979bfb.png

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, MySecretUser said:

I would be very happy with that too. Just something more complete rather than just bullets. 

All we need next is titles, a way for consistent titles, that's all I want. 

If Evernote implement MD support, we would have titles,

Please indicate your support for this request using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion.  This request has 12 votes

Try Dropbox Paper:

- it is cross-platform (looking at you, Bear)

- supports Markdown with code highlighting in most languages

- has full-text search for your documents (both titles and contents are indexed)

- documents are easy to share and collaborate on

- you can cross-reference documents in a simple way

- the aesthetics aren't much worse than Bear 

To be fair, the way Markdown works in Paper isn't quite perfect (you can tell it is a second-class citizen here), but it's the next best thing after using your favorite code editor.

Chiming in to say that the only way I'll keep using Evernote, and keep paying for Pro, is if they add Markdown support. I'm currently using both EN and Bear, and the fact that I can't even import Markdown notes into Evernote without some complicated third party hack is just madness. 

So Evernote, if you are listening, don't let yourselves slip into obsolescence because you don't like Markdown, or it's too much work to integrate. If you want to stamp apps like Bear in their tracks, Markdown is your answer.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
17 minutes ago, ideal cheese said:

So Evernote, if you are listening, don't let yourselves slip into obsolescence because you don't like Markdown, or it's too much work to integrate. If you want to stamp apps like Bear in their tracks, Markdown is your answer.

I doubt that Evernote is looking to "stamp Bear in its tracks". Their stance seems to be "Hey, this is what Evernote is. We think it's cool and can help you keep digital information organized, and available across your devices." But since you brought it up, it's of note that Bear is only available for Apple devices, and not even for the web (yet), so they have a long way to go before they get to parity with Evernote on the availability front. If you're an all-Apple user, then it looks like it might be a good tool, but for the rest of us, it's as good as non-existent as an alternative to Evernote.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, jefito said:

I doubt that Evernote is looking to "stamp Bear in its tracks". 

To be fair, I said "apps like Bear." I know that Bear is a newcomer but there are a lot of apps out there that use Markdown. If you read reviews for them, you'll find a lot of former Evernote users who gave up on EN as a writing/note-taking tool.

Now that I think of it, I wish Evernote had reserved all the team collaboration and other businessy features for a special Pro subscription. The beauty of Evernote is all of the things it can do, but that's also the problem with Evernote. Feature overload. Sadly, though, it seems they have chosen to do the opposite—focus on team and business features like Spaces. Failure to add Markdown support after years of hemming and hawing sends the message that they don't care about individuals anymore. So does their website, which puts all the emphasis on business features.

I think I just talked myself out of even bothering with EN anymore. Honestly the only feature I can't find elsewhere is the ability to search handwritten text within jpegs. Maybe I can live without that.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, ideal cheese said:

to be fair, I said "apps like Bear"   ...  gave up on EN as a writing/note-taking tool...

As in apps with extended editing features.
I'm not using Evernote because of it's value as an editor.
The editor is fine for basic notes, but there are plenty of established dedicated apps that do a better job.
I've always been a word/pages user for word processing, excel/numbers for spreadsheets, text editors for coding, ...
In Evernote, these documents are stored as one of the note attachments.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ideal cheese said:

To be fair, I said "apps like Bear."

Indeed. Fair enough, and apologies for the misquote.

If you read reviews for them, you'll find a lot of former Evernote users who gave up on EN as a writing/note-taking tool.

That's fine -- my take is that they're in a different segment of the market than Evernote. When there's a lot of tools out there, people tend to try a lot of them, and some tools work better for some people than other tools. I use Evernote as an information gathering tool much more than a note-taking tool: web clips, documents, weekly work journals (via templates), and yes, some note-taking, all organized using tags. I can rough out an outline easily enough in Evernote, but if I need to expand it to a nicely-formatted document, then it easily transforms into a Word document. Horses for courses. 

The beauty of Evernote is all of the things it can do, but that's also the problem with Evernote. Feature overload.

?? Bit of a paradox there; your desirable feature that I don't want is feature overload for me, and vice-versa. I'm actually looking forward to seeing Spaces in the personal edition, because I can see a use case for it in my work life without needing to use the Business edition. Flip side: Markdown means zero to me, so it would just be extraneous functionality in my case.

Sadly, though, it seems they have chosen to do the opposite—focus on team and business features like Spaces. Failure to add Markdown support after years of hemming and hawing sends the message that they don't care about individuals anymore.

There's plenty of overlap between the two editions, and Spaces will live in that overlap, if they deliver it there as they've hinted. But they never promised to deliver Markdown anywhere that I've ever seen (but I'd welcome a reference if one exists), and I don't see how not adding it means that they don't care about individuals. It's just apparently not a feature that's high priority for them, either for the personal or the business case. It really can be just that simple.

I would like to use Evernote to store blog posts prior to publishing them.  I have all the rest of my data in Evernote, so I'd rather not have yet another place I store the data.

The problem is, I can't just use pre-formatted options like "H1, H2, etc" and all the HTML is included if I copy paste, overriding my styles.

I'd like a way to at a minimum flag a note as "Plain-text" where no formatting is applied or available and better yet would be support for Markdown...even with plaintext only I could use markdown.

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, Zetta said:

I'd like a way to at a minimum flag a note as "Plain-text" where no formatting is applied or available and better yet would be support for Markdown...even with plaintext only I could use markdown.

A note can contain files of any format.  The default is Evernote's enml format.

You might consider which format best supports the features you need.

For example, I use text files to store software code.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, ssxtrix said:

it takes 30 min to export, but where are you going to import them? are they going to be kept with the same format with the attachments? what about annotations? don't act coy please.

5ae493cb1abea_ScreenShot2018-04-28at08_30_59.png.15a3564b3fe8c76fdbd1fe06b665ebbc.pngI use the html export feature (Mac/Win) for my backups; each note is exported to a separate .html file;
- basically the same format that Evernote uses
- can be opened by any web browser app
Attachments are exported to a corresponding .resources folder.

12 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm not in to "Boohoo, Evernote's so bad" posts.  I'm more interested in posts on how to make this product work better for me.

The majority of people asking for this feature aren’t saying Evernote is bad. They like Evernote and would like it even more if it supported this feature. That’s the point of feature requests. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

To indicate your support for feature requests, use the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion.

we do it, but despite the numbers, no one apparently cares. and has not cared for years! (e.g. line spacing)

• Like 1

So, what's it going to take for the Evernote decision-making committee to realize this is a serious request? I've stopped using Evernote entirely because of the lack of this ONE incredibly easy to implement feature.

At minimum give us a plain text editor where I can avoid the frustration of having my markdown formatting ruined. 

Having the most highly requested (and easy to implement) feature go this long without being addressed is a continual message saying, "We're not listening, and we don't care."

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, dustinstout said:

At minimum give us a plain text editor where I can avoid the frustration of having my markdown formatting ruined. 

The Evernote note editor/format is enml (html fork).  It's also not a useful format for my programming code files.

However we can use any external editor and store the files  in a note (attachment).
For plain text files, I use editor Textastic (Mac/iPad).  Sorry, it doesn't support MD, but I know there's alternative MD editors.

4 minutes ago, jefito said:

Best guess that I have for its absence is that round-tripping markdown <--> ENML is not trivial. As far as I know, Marxico can't do it either. 

That's a rational decision in my book, since Markdown is important to you. for many others of us, it just isn't what we come to use Evernote for. 

Cheers.

My wasn't either. Though with time my notes become more verbose and Evernote just don't fit anymore.

20 minutes ago, jefito said:

Best guess that I have for its absence is that round-tripping markdown <--> ENML is not trivial. As far as I know, Marxico can't do it either. 

Well, perhaps indeed not and you can't convert all users' notes to markdown as it won't make all people happy. Especially if part of their notes become unreadable due to some conversion incompatibilities/issues. Only thing that comes to my mind is to define note's format along with each new note... or per user. Some other issues may arise like search engine would have to interpret ENML as well as markdown but this still seems solvable.

Perhaps the only or most important reason is that it's too much work/trouble and not much gain in functionality (as they see it).

So long story short... markdown utilising customers aren't their target users. They won't tell you to "get lost" of course because it's against their interest. That's why they keep this topic so silent (was there any feedback their side so far?).

It's of course most wanted feature but perhaps still a marginal one. A little over 500 votes is nothing concerning their users numbers. So... they're trapped with this feature request as well as we are in hoping they would do it.

So I say "migrate" ;)

8 hours ago, jefito said:

That's a rational decision in my book, since Markdown is important to you. for many others of us, it just isn't what we come to use Evernote for. 

Cheers.

You are right, perhaps for most other users Markdown isn't important and Evernote is just not designed to cater to our niche (Markdown, syntax highlighting, formatting) and for us, it is time to stop hoping and waiting but to leave for good.

I have been with Evernote since the beginning, the very first beta, bought tons of stuff from the old lifestyle store. Got their stickers everywhere on my desk, laptop, fridge....

I would say having to leave Evernote is an emotional one because it is truely a great product.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
19 hours ago, coff said:

So my decision (as DTLow also suggested)...

I'm not sure of the reference; my focus is on using the editor/format that best meets my requirements.  I continue to use Evernote for my filing/storage.

I'm ok with using the Evernote editor for basic notes.  I switch to a word-processing or spreadsheet app for extended features.

I also would love to have markdown here, but it seems that's not going to happen, so I won't stop using it until I found something more suitable but I will stop paying for the premium membership.

Anyone know any similar software that allow to keep notes in the cloud, share tools and accept markdown?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
15 hours ago, rmassar said:

Anyone know any similar software that allow to keep notes in the cloud, share tools and accept markdown?

What devices do you use; There are plenty of Markdown editors available.

For the "cloud, share tools", I use Evernote along with the editor that provides the required features.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, notsofast said:

One of the attractive qualities of Evernote is its one-stop-shopping, everything-under-one-roof nature ...one of Evernote's primary tasks is formatting text.

I think you're misinformed about Evernote.  
For me, it's not "one-stop-shopping, everything-under-one-roof" ... primary tasks is formatting text.

Evernote does come with a free editor that's fine for basic notes; the underlying format is enml, an html fork.

>>Invoking external apps to accomplish specialized tasks is a sensible and necessary division of labor

External apps is my solution for implementing markup editing (mostly html); I use the Textastic app (supports Markdown)

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I think you're misinformed about Evernote.

Am I?  It lets you gather many disparate forms of information from a variety of sources so they can be organized, annotated, and searched in a unified manner.  It provides the same capabilities across multiple different platforms.  Users perform many different tasks in Evernote.

I believe versatility is one of Evernote's goals.  I believe another is efficiency.  I think Markdown addresses both of those goals, and would be an extremely effective input and formatting method for a certain class of users.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, notsofast said:

It lets you gather many disparate forms of information from a variety of sources so they can be organized,...

I agree with "gather many disparate forms of information from a variety of sources"

Notes can contain files of any format; pdf, image, office/iwork, ... including Markdown files

• Level 5*
On 7/10/2018 at 3:43 PM, notsofast said:

I believe versatility is one of Evernote's goals.  I believe another is efficiency.  I think Markdown addresses both of those goals, and would be an extremely effective input and formatting method for a certain class of users.

I think that the crux is this: Evernote stores its notes in ENML, a superset of XHTML (see https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php). Providing a way to input Markdown source into Evernote is pretty straightforward at best guess; it's what Marxico does. But being able to pull Evernote ENML back into Mardown, so that you can round-trip between the two is a lot harder. And unsurprisingly, Marxico doesn't do this, at last check: from the Marxico page (https://marxi.co/) : "Currently Marxico is unable to detect and merge any modifications in Evernote by user. Please go back to Marxico to edit". 

So versatility is a fine goal, but I'd guess that cost of implementation dominates the calculation as to whether this gets done by Evernote or not.

54 minutes ago, jefito said:

being able to pull Evernote ENML back into Mar[k]down, so that you can round-trip between the two is a lot harder.

I understand and accept that.  There are formatting things you can do in Evernote that can't be captured in Markdown, so those things would get lost when going back to Markdown.

I think I would be pretty happy even without true round-trip editing.  I just find the Markdown style of input to be efficient.  So I have been delighted to discover some Markdown shortcuts that already work in the Evernote editor (7.2 on Mac):

• Typing "- <space>" or "* <space>" starts a bullet list
  • Typing "1. <space>" starts a numbered list
  • Typing "```<return>" creates a code block
  • Typing "- - - <space>" (three dashes followed by a space) creates a horizontal rule

If a few more Markdown-y things were added, I think I would be satisfied:

• "#", "##", ... header styling
  • Syntax coloring in code blocks
  • Inline code formatting with ` ... ` (text between two backquotes)
  • Don't convert "- -" (two consecutive dashes) to a single en-dash in a code block
  • "> " to start a block quote
  • Paste Markdown text into Evernote and have it be formatted following the Markdown rules

I finally found something that could partially help to solve the situation that there's no native support of markdown in Evernote. I personally love the UI and convenience for note-taking in Evernote, and have tried several other Markdown editors. However, I'm still waiting for evernote to publish their version of support of markdown.

Surprisingly, I finally find something online that could solve this situation. A software called Marxico, yes, it spells so much like Mexico, can be used to generate and view markdown code, and it can transfer the generated file as read-only mode or editable to Evernote. First of all, I'm not part of development team or any relationship to Marxico, I'm only a graduate student in US. So, I'm still trying this software, but it looks pretty nice so far. Although it's not recommended to transfer the editable file to evernote, I haven't found any bug yet; after all, you could write md code and edit it in Marxico and sync to evernote.

However, the only problem, well as a student, is the cost. Yes, it cost extra money for the software. But, I think the price is reasonable. I downloaded it today and check the price is around $16 for a year. Well, although I personally do not want to pay any penny on commercial software if other open source alternative is available, the features of Marxico is astonishing and filling the 'last' piece of Evernote.

If anyone have any other alternative component of evernote that provides capability of Markdown, I'm still open to suggestion.

e.g., I also like Bear for markdown, but as an engineering students, whose notes containing full of formulas, I don't know why bear does not even have the capability to write formulas!!!!

Before another premium level renewal or seeking another tool - I ask the community or the fine Evernote developers; "What is the state of the union on native Markdown support?" I'm testing several other tools including Bootsnote, Laverna and trying to get a workflow for using Sublime markdown (i love) but nothing is as convenient as Evernote on all my devices and this seems so logical considering all the other sharing and collab features I don't use that are wasted on Evernote trying to become a Slack.

2018-07-13_09-31-00markdown.jpg

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Dave333 said:

What is the state of the union on native Markdown support?

The "state" has never changed

• Evernote was Implemented with an enml/html format and has not indicated an interest in switching.
  • Notes can contain files of any format, including Markdown; an external editor is required.

Evernote has been experimenting with basic markup options in editing text.  This is a one way implementation and the code is converted to enml.

On 7/13/2018 at 11:44 AM, DTLow said:

The "state" has never changed

• Evernote was Implemented with an enml/html format and has not indicated an interest in switching.
  • Notes can contain files of any format, including Markdown; an external editor is required.

Evernote has been experimenting with basic markup options in editing text.  This is a one way implementation and the code is converted to enml.

Maybe I've missed something of value, is there any documentation anyone is aware of I could review?  I'm committed to getting some consistent formatting in my notes and would love to do text expand regions to fold in lots of deeper heirarchy reference notes while keeping top level outline visible.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, Dave333 said:

Maybe I've missed something of value, is there any documentation anyone is aware of I could review?  I'm committed to getting some consistent formatting in my notes and would love to do text expand regions to fold in lots of deeper heirarchy reference notes while keeping top level outline visible.

It seems your interest is beyond the Markdown feature request; you might want to create a new discussion

There's documentation at The Evernote Help Center

For consistent formatting, I use templates.
I'm also concerned with consistent tag assignment; I use scripting on my Mac.

The Evernote editor/format doesn't support text expand outlines.
Notes are independent entities, but can be cross referenced using links and notebook/tags.
You also have the option of using a word processing editor that supports these features.

On 11/22/2016 at 5:35 AM, Hoteit said:

Markdown support would be amazing. This makes Evernote a perfect companion to our development / coding environment.

I kinda hate to do this kind of referring to other products but "Boostnote" does the work.

Evernote is awesome but I really miss the Markdown support especially when there is a new kid on the block right now.

https://www.notion.so looks promising and has Markdown support but still there are some killer features in Evernote. But be aware of other parties because they have some killer features too like Markdown. Will try Notion but would love to stay at Evernote because I am using it almost from the beginning and always loved it. That one feature that makes text editing so much easier inside Evernote and I think I don't need anything else then Evernote ??

Hi guys,

I think you can give EverTool a try. EverTool is a Markdown supported and text style manager for Evernote.

It's an isolated app, so you can keep the original usage of Evernote but with beautiful text style features.

Main features:

• All in one customized text style management
  • ## Markdown syntax supported
  • Beautiful code highlight
  • Resize images to the same width
  • Multi highlight colors, and fancy banner style
  • Shortcut supported

If you want to give it a try, reference homepage to know more ?https://evertool.app

Any feedback and suggestion is welcome ?

Here is another discussion in integration board: 

• Thanks 1

After playing around with Dropbox Paper for a bit, I've officially started my migration from Evernote. Markdown support is great, and you can even create templates to quickly make notes from. 

I really would have loved to continue using Evernote, but the extra storage space is the only benefit I'm getting after upgrading to Plus. A lack of useful features, consistent bugs, and general bulkiness have finally turned me off.

• Like 1

The Chinese version of Evernote (印象笔记) is testing to support markdown.

It seems  that only  Chinese version will support this function.

When can the Evernote international will support markdown?

Evernote_07.png.8a7c2bafe9d5a9a2021934716a7f48e7.png

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote don't (usually) comment on features in development.  They do tend to pilot new ones in one operating system until it seems pretty mature (ie Scannable) and then develop it for other platforms.  On occasion - and presumably for their own internal reasons they don't do that,  and the feature stays OS specific (again,  sadly - Scannable).

Unless an employee can say it's probably included in the next update,  we can only guess when (or if) we'll see this.

Meantime there are third-party options as below.  (Links not tested recently - if there are problems try a websearch for Evernote Markdown)

https://leanote.com/
https://marxi.co/
http://happenapps.com/
http://www.wiz.cn/
http://www.inkdrop.info/
https://bold.io/

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jerry_c said:

The Chinese version of Evernote (印象笔记) is testing to support markdown.

My translation skills are poor.  Can you add details on how Markdown is supported?
Is it two way with the Markdown code stored and retrieved.  I'm thinking this would requires both an edit and display mode.

12 小时前, DTLow说:

My translation skills are poor.  Can you add details on how Markdown is supported?
Is it two way with the Markdown code stored and retrieved.  I'm thinking this would requires both an edit and display mode.

Yes, full support for Markdown (edit and display mode) on MAC client beta 1 (released yesterday), but read-only on other platforms right now (they said they are working hard to bring edit mode to every platform).

They add another standalone button in side bar under the present “huge” New Note button. This will create a special note called "Markdown Note", which can not switch to old type Evernote note. 

I think this solution is not ideal and necessary for Evernote, because it's basically what Marxico can do right now. I wish Evernote original editor would evolve into a totally different, full-function tool for us, not this simple combination of two products.

The best solution I can figure out is "block", like Notion.so (unfortunately, its UI is not best for personal note taking). Web clip note or paragraphs would be treated as "HTML" block, and our own notes would be "Markdown". This different type blocks can coexist in one note, not isolated notes, like what Chinese Evernote "YinXiang BiJi" is doing now. This would be a solution for conflicts between HTML code and Markdown syntax. 

I think EN team will not do that. They just want to keep the original editor simple and let third-party extensions do the other things. Partly, I agree with this thinking. However, the lack of “quote” and "code indentation and highlight" features really makes me feel the present editor is like a toy.

This used to be implemented on Web.  Sometime a while back it was removed.  I used to be able to use single quotes ` and triple quotes ``` to markdown my content in web.  i loved this feature.  Aside from synchronization cross-platform, this was the most important feature to me.

I'm about to host my own Laverna server and offer it to others for use as a service.

On 6/10/2018 at 9:47 PM, ekivemark said:

Markdown support would be great. I find myself using markdown more and more. I am now using Bear.app on Mac, iPhone and iPad and love the ease of Markdown editing. Bear's Markdown support and hashtag based filing has resulted in me turning to Bear to work on documents more often than Evernote.

Thanks for the suggestion. Checking it out now, also because it has a dark theme. It looks quite nice! 

I use apps other than Evernote on my Android, iOS, Windows and Mac devices to create and manage Markdown documents. This means that almost no documents that I create are created, stored or managed by Evernote. And the number and variety of my Markdown documents is increasing rapidly. 

Having to use multiple platforms to do one thing is frighteningly inefficient. Evernote is available on all of my platforms and it needs to fully support Markdown.

In other words: For me, Creating, previewing, exporting and managing Markdown documents needs to be an Evernote capability.

--Dwight Brooks

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, Pepper787 said:

I use apps other than Evernote on my Android, iOS, Windows and Mac devices to create and manage Markdown documents.

I use apps other than the Evernote editor to create and edit documents; anything beyond basic notes; word processing, spreadsheets, pdfs, images, ...
A note can contain files of any format; I store all my documents in Evernote.  Currently over 12k documents.

Evernote is quite capable at handling my documents; syncing to the cloud and my devices.  Previewing is built in for many document types.  Export is a simple process.

I would also like to express my interest in Evernote supporting markdown and LaTeX mathematical typesetting.  I take extensive technical notes for my research and development and I have a very consistent need to document code and math together in the same note.  Additionally, a quote field (in line with the markdown suggestion) would be very helpful.  If there were another note taking application that supported these (and I could easily import my existing history of notes to it), I would leave Evernote over this.

• Level 5*

There are many editors supporting mark up features like Markdown and LaTeX.  
No need to  leave Evernote.  You can store the documents as note attachments in native or pdf format (or both)

I have also been a premium user for many years now and I am finding myself slowly moving away from Evernote. I have many thousands of clippings using the Evernote Web Clipper stored and each time I start writing notes in Evernote I find myself frustrated at the lack of Markdown support.

I have tried to read this thread but I am unclear on this topic. Does Evernote ever intend to implement this feature or not?  If it's not even on the horizon then I know to take my subscription somewhere else...

Greenhamsam really explains everything very well. 

• Like 1

Of all the applications I use outside of Evernote, the one that allows me to use and write with Markdown is the most popular: over time the presence of Markdown inside Evernote is becoming vital..... I just can't understand this immovable position of Evernote towards a feature that I don't think requires a lot of work to be implemented...

On 9/18/2016 at 3:13 PM, lrainaldi said:

I feel on the biggest missing features is native support for Markdown. Please add native Markdown to Evernote.

After being a premium and business user for more than 10 years and 3 years respectively, I just created a forum account to vote up markdown language support in Evernote.  It's quite a natural extension to the product and I think Evernote should implement it as a priority. It's existing editor is probably the weakest part of it's offering IMHO.  In any event when Evernote first created it's edit functionality, Markdown was just a pup. By all means keep the buttons and do it as a single panel -- perhaps with a switch view implemented by a button. It is clear that we don't want to alienate those who do not use/understand markdown.  My suggestion is that the native storage of notes is Markdown under the hood.  It would remove the need for 'simply format' and other issues with its internal representations that manifest from time to time.

• Level 5*
On 10/20/2018 at 3:06 AM, Postie said:

My suggestion is that the native storage of notes is Markdown under the hood. 

Evernote's native storage of notes is ENML/HTML under the hood (think web page).  If Evernote converted to Markdown, we would lose many editor features.

>>It's existing editor is probably the weakest part of it's offering IMHO. 

I successfully use the Evernote editor for basic notes.
I agree it's not a word processing quality product.