Ctrl+drag doesn't work for note content

rimboma

Idea

Evernote hints that it would, by displaying [+] near the cursor while dragging, but then it just moves the content instead of copying it.

Type of selection (highlighted first / dragged without highlighting) doesn't influence the behavior.

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  I think the floating "+" sign is a Windows thing rather than Evernote,  though I agree dragging the highlighted text does move it - but if all you want to do is copy,  what's wrong with Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V or just a right-click to copy / paste?

On 2/8/2019 at 3:56 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  I think the floating "+" sign is a Windows thing rather than Evernote,  though I agree dragging the highlighted text does move it - but if all you want to do is copy,  what's wrong with Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V or just a right-click to copy / paste?

A Windows thing, a Chromium (?) thing*... Not really helpful.

Dragging and dropping is faster, for starters. By the way, I can accomplish two additional tasks in the time some default system animations run on Android 7.

All in all, if Evernote settled for half-working contraptions, please let me know.

* blamed for plethora of the recent bugs in basic text handling.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, rimboma said:

All in all, if Evernote settled for half-working contraptions, please let me know.

I couldn't say what Evernote would settle for - we're all (mostly) users here so I'm just this guy,  you know?*

* H2G2 reference...

• Level 5
On 2/8/2019 at 7:35 AM, rimboma said:

Evernote hints that it would, by displaying [+] near the cursor while dragging, but then it just moves the content instead of copying it.

Type of selection (highlighted first / dragged without highlighting) doesn't influence the behavior.

How are you accessing Evernote? Through the Windows Evernote program, or through the Web browser interface? Also, what version of Windows and/or browser are you using? I just tested in both the Windows program and the Web interface, and selecting and dragging text produced a sort of rectangular box during dragging, not a [+] symbol, so I'm curious about the context in which the latter appears.

I will say that for me, dragging text to move it rather than copying it would be the expected behavior in most of the software I use. But I could be behind the times.

On 2/11/2019 at 8:04 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

How are you accessing Evernote? Through the Windows Evernote program, or through the Web browser interface? Also, what version of Windows and/or browser are you using? I just tested in both the Windows program and the Web interface, and selecting and dragging text produced a sort of rectangular box during dragging, not a [+] symbol, so I'm curious about the context in which the latter appears.

I will say that for me, dragging text to move it rather than copying it would be the expected behavior in most of the software I use. But I could be behind the times. 

We're in "Home - Possible Bugs/Technical Issues - Evernote for Windows" forum section, so Windows. Windows 7 to be specific.

Yes, many applications use Ctrl and Shift to modify between copying and moving of dragged content, starting with Windows File Explorer (since forever), through office applications, to CAD software.

• Level 5*

@rimboma: Having the Ctrl (copy) /Shift (move) modifiers operate the way they do in other applications, including File Explorer sounds like a good idea to me. This is sounding like a feature request -- would you like me to move it to that forum? I'll upvote it if so...

On 2/14/2019 at 4:38 PM, jefito said:

@rimboma: Having the Ctrl (copy) /Shift (move) modifiers operate the way they do in other applications, including File Explorer sounds like a good idea to me. This is sounding like a feature request -- would you like me to move it to that forum? I'll upvote it if so... 

Of course! Thank you. Especially that without it, if acknowledged and undertaken, it would simply mean removal of the [+] indicator 😉

Archived