Deep linking between notes to create master/aggregated notes

I've been an EN user for ~ 7 years or so, it's an awesome product and a great way to stay organized. However, I've come across one feature request that I would presume would resonate across the user base - and would be deeply desirable for me. Which is; I have various notes of various meetings and topics, however, in those notes there is some crossover and commonality b/n a specific notes contents and other notes' contents. For instance, I have many next steps or takeaway items I'd love to see aggregated in one place - I don't want to have to search across all my notes and copy/paste that content into a separate to do list thereby creating a static list. What I would love to do is insert or inject intra page tags only on a certain section, ex: "#nextsteps Send Evernote my feature request <br>". I've created or this auto creates a note with the tag/label #nextsteps, and on there is the content across all notes that have that tag denoted. This list is dynamic, and as I update the child or feeder tags, this note changes and vice versa. For instance, I've now completed this next step, and I could "#nextsteps Send Evernote my feature request <br>" (strikethrough), and the child page would be updated as such, or again vice versa. This is the next big thing for EN and would totally be a game changer for in the notes taking revolution.

• Level 5*

With Evernote, the note setup is simple - just a note.  There is no subdivision.

My solution is not to create a massive note that holds "child pages"
I use separate notes for each of these child pages.
I use a tags to specify the views the notes should appear in; also links within a master note.

Your example of  "Send Evernote my feature request" would be a separate note.
It can appear in many different views; Project, Current Tasks, Completed Tasks, ....

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, njezienicki@gmail.com said:

Which is; I have various notes of various meetings and topics, however, in those notes there is some crossover and commonality b/n a specific notes contents and other notes' contents.

This is a pretty good case for tags: notes that belong to more than one category.

2 hours ago, njezienicki@gmail.com said:

For instance, I have many next steps or takeaway items I'd love to see aggregated in one place - I don't want to have to search across all my notes and copy/paste that content into a separate to do list thereby creating a static list.

A "NextStep" tag would help you to isolate locate and isolate your "next steps" across all of your notes.

You might want to take a gander at this take on GTD in Evernote: https://evernote.com/blog/getting-started-with-gtd-templates/. I'm sure that there are other references for Evernote and the various methodologies out there, but I'm not that rigorous (ok, I use a simplified Bullet Journal approach).

• Level 5*

...Or you could take a look at Filterize,  which creates Tables of Content that are dynamically updated on each Evernote sync according to rules that you create.  I'm in process of doing something like the OP wants (if I understood you correctly). 

I have a series of notes for 'to-do' items - lets call them Dailies,  Now,  Soon and Sometime which are updated to include any notes which are tagged with those words,  or those which have Reminder dates of Today (or earlier),  the next week,  or the next month.  My lists are updated without any intervention from me several times per day,  based on the date and the note's tags.

I also have some dynamic lists for searches that I might run,  including Contacts (all my business card pics), Purchases... and Projects.  In my world a "project" is a current activity - anything from an outstanding RMA for a faulty memory stick,  to ongoing maintenance of a calendar for a Facebook page.  I have a tag for each project,  which is applied to the 'parent page' for that project,  and dynamic searches which list all the notes relating to that project in that ToC. 

If I have a task to do with that individual project I can assign it by either setting a reminder date or adding a tag.  If I need to look at something each day - it's on my list.

That looks more complicated than it is,  and I do have more categories for random elements that it occurred to me might be useful - like a list of all the "user guide" notes I've created from PDFs of various bits of equipment.  But it does mean I have a parent list for all my projects,  and a parent project list for all my individual notes related to that project.

(Edited for clarity - maybe 🤔)

I just set up a Filterize summary note earlier this week, along almost identical lines:

• "Next" section = due on or before today, or tagged "next".
  • "Soon" section = due in 2-7 days, or tagged "soon"
  • "Eventually" section = due in > 7 days or no reminder/tag (but still in my "actions" notebook)

It doesn't seem to update all that fast, though - I find that I have to click the "filterize" link and then sync to get it to update sometimes.  Do you know of a way to set the update interval?  Or do I maybe need to constrain the TOC or stack somehow so it doesn't look at all notes (I have > 12K notes spread across 20-ish notebooks).

So far, I find it very valuable.  I'm probably going to subscribe when the trial runs out.  I still need to figure out how to have it create a daily log note for me so it's waiting each weekday morning...

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Erik Przekop said:

Do you know of a way to set the update interval?

Nope - like you I'm hitting the 'update' link below each list from time to time.  I have around 45K notes (!).  From the documentation updates are supposedly every other time you sync - once to get note changes back to Evernote where Filterize does its  magic on the server,  then again to get those changes back to the local database.  In practice,  some changes seem to take a while to get back.  Not sure if that's Evernote being a bit selective with the sync,  or Filterize having a lag.  Haven't found that any items are 'missed' for any significant period though,  so as long as I am confident that changes today will get sorted out within 12 hours I'm happy;  it's not critical that I see items on a list immediately.

I do find that having lists made a few duplicated notes immediately obvious,  and also threw up quite a few that were just reminders for issues long since resolved.  My note count may go down a little over the next few weeks!

I'm also now a subscriber to Filterize as well as Evernote.

Archived