Notebooks and Tags - or how to take the stress out of travel

• Level 5

In many discussions notebooks and tags are viewed as contradicting concepts. I want to share a view where within a workflow they are fluent, notes moving from a tag to a notebook back to a tagging-dominated perspective.

My wife and I love to travel on our own. This means collecting many ideas about where to go, what to do, where to stay, what to eat etc. We have started to collect these snippets in a EN notebook “Travel ideas”, with some very basic tags. These are not related to the content, but only to find these nuggets in the database. All in one notebook, access through tags.

When a travel plan gets more solid, I create a new notebook labeled with the destination and the year. There we collect everything related to this project. Here the notebook is the main criteria for holding things together. Tags move with the notes from “ideas” but are secondary, more notes join them  (Tickets, Documents, Bookings and the like).

Why a notebook ? Because it is easy to define a notebook with all its content as “offline”. When traveling it is always a good idea to carry everything along on the mobile devices. So we share this Notebook, and have things available wherever we are, no matter WiFi and roaming. While on the trip, more goes into the notebook, often scanned on the fly. Wherever there is a internet connection, it syncs to “home” and between the offline copies.

Now we are back. Delete everything ? No, because it is there, contains memories, helps in sorting through the picture roll etc.

But I do not want to have it hanging around as yet another notebook any more.

Solution: I create a Tag named ZZZ_Destination_Year. ZZZ to move it to the end of the list (=tag archive), the rest is the selection criteria. Then I select all notes in the travel project notebook and assign them the new tag. This done, I move them all to a notebook “Travel Archive”, and delete the now obsolete project notebook.

For us it works and took a lot of stress out of travel preparation and execution - because every information is always going to one place, nearly always available.

Even when we are happy as it is, we are open to ideas to improve this further.

The concept can of course be transferred to all processes that run through a planning-execution-followup-archive-cycle.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
20 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Why a notebook ? Because it is easy to define a notebook with all its content as “offline”

Another reason for a notebook is the "share" function.

>> I create a Tag named ZZZ_Destination_Year. ZZZ to move it to the end of the list (=tag archive), the rest is the selection criteria. Then I select all notes in the travel project notebook and assign them the new tag. This done, I move them all to a notebook “Travel Archive”, and delete the now obsolete project notebook.

I use a generic "Archive" tag.  
To exclude notes from searches, I use -tag:Archive
                                                                    -tag:ZZZ* could work for you

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The concept can of course be transferred to all processes that run through a planning-execution-followup-archive-cycle.

Not as extensive as yours.  My method has been as the trip takes focus to tag whichever notes with YYYY.MM Trip.Name.  Just before the trip I create a new notebook with the same name and move all the tagged notes to it, and make it offline on my phone.  After the trip I move the notes back to my prime notebook and delete the temporary one.  I don't have any archive steps or notebooks, the tags all stay the same.  Typically these older travel notes self deselect through the search process.  I prefer as few notebooks as possible, eases any extra thinking on searches.  In reality, most of my searches are All Notes anyway.  Just another way to look at things.

• 2 years later...

When my wife and I go on a trip, we take a camera with us and record what is happening on the camera. This is convenient, because there is a lot of memory, and if it is still clogged, then we throw everything into the cloud and delete unnecessary things from the camera. I also write down some stories that happened to me in my notebook. Last month we went to a ski resort here https://bluehouseskis.com/ and I recorded a lot of information from there. Since I am fond of writing, I used all my notes to write a novel. In this way, I captured many events on camera, in a notebook and wrote a novel that will now become our family value.

• Level 5*
On 9/10/2021 at 6:49 AM, MillisJonny said:

we take a camera with us and record what is happening on the camera

I use the camera on my iPad = text + pictures stored in Evernote