If above 45 and going paperless, do ...

• Level 5

... yourself a favor: Get the right glasses !

Let me tell you my story: With age the eye will adapt less to watching things in different distances. So I have gotten myself variofocal glasses. And a stiff neck and strong headache, when working a lot in front of a screen. Why ?

Because the area needed for the screen distance is placed low on the glass. To see a sharp image I had to raise my head, which created stress to the neck. Whenever I worked long hours like that, everything stiffend up and gave me all sort of trouble. Little exercises to loosen things up helped, but not for long.

Then I got myself new variofocal glasses, just for the screen work. They are not set to „infinite“ on the far end, but to about 3-4 m, and the low end is document viewing distance. When I look at the screen, the head has a natural angle now, and the stiffness and sore is gone.

They make good reading glasses, too.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

I have separate monitor glasses and reading glasses.  Slightly fuzzy documents when scanning,  but sharp screen images when reading in between scans;  and I do most of my processing on screen.  It is annoying - this getting old thing.  🙁

• Haha 1
  • 4 months later...

I am 50, I have progressives. I never thought about needing glasses just for my computer time.  My laptop is a 13.3 MacBook.  I work on my laptop, iPhone and iPad probably 12 hours a day.  I don’t want to have to change glasses to look at stuff.  Getting old is a bummer.  

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Rebecca Councill said:

I am 50, I have progressives. I never thought about needing glasses just for my computer time.  My laptop is a 13.3 MacBook.  I work on my laptop, iPhone and iPad probably 12 hours a day.  I don’t want to have to change glasses to look at stuff.  Getting old is a bummer.  

Welcome to the club.  It sucks but as they say, better than the alternative.  I have progressives but they were adjusted to a natural reading angle and with large monitors I need to tilt my head back for them to work, therefore I don't use them when working at the computer.  My current solution is to wear contact lens and then just use readers when at the computer.  I might try progressives again but with the division line set higher ... not sure yet.

• Level 5

My progressives were set to normal use as well. Then I’ve got a stiff neck, etc.

So I happily change glasses when I sit in front of my MacBook Pro. Tell you, doesn’t get better from year to year. So I’ve got me the 15“

Hope they put the 17“ to the market rumors talk about before it is too late. Maybe Tim Cook gets older as well, so he made product managers think more about the Golden agers 😂🤣

Ha, at first I thought maybe this was going to be about apprehension, because that's what I have about going paperless.  On the sensitivity scale, there's still a large number of sensitive documents I'm just not comfortable putting in the cloud.  I know there's people that might argue most of my stuff is already in the cloud by various providers of insurance, finance etc.  However I have little control over much of it, short of putting my money in a hole in the ground; but why go ahead and put it in even one more place of my own volition? Maybe someday.  Anyway, I've been pretty fortunate so far regarding the actual subject, my distance vision continues to degrade in tiny increments, but I can still read pretty easily and monitor distance is just right.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, Gear64 said:

On the sensitivity scale, there's still a large number of sensitive documents I'm just not comfortable putting in the cloud

My sensitive documents are encrypted and stored in Evernote cloud

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

My sensitive documents are encrypted and stored in Evernote.

Yeah I went down the rabbit hole with that a while back, trying decide what was best, what was adequate, etc., etc. as the mechanism.  Then one master password, category passwords, passwords for every file? Then I started chasing other squirrels.... and never made a decision.

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, Gear64 said:

On the sensitivity scale, there's still a large number of sensitive documents I'm just not comfortable putting in the cloud.

I just use encrypted PDFs but the other option is to use local notebooks.  With work information there is just too much to go the encrypted file route, so I use local notebooks for all that.  For personal information, that is encrypted and in the cloud.  I don't generate all that much that I consider encryption worthy.  If someone wants to know what my electric bill was last month, have at it.

• Level 5

Local notebooks are a good option for sensitive data.

Just do not forget to make sure that you’re  backing up. If you backup the whole computer, fine. The locals will be there as well, among all the rest.

Because EN is a pretty compact data base, it is possible as well to make a BU of just the EN data. This will easily fit on a USB-stick.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, s2sailor said:

...but the other option is to use local notebooks

This is the path I took when I went paperless.  I do use the cloud for backup though - export the  two notebooks to ENEX and then put the results in an encrypted 7-Zip archive in a cloud folder..  Upsides are all documents are searchable and I have a reasonably current off site backup.  I do have a few confidential PDFs which require access when mobile so those are password protected in my synced notebook.  FWIW.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Local notebooks are a good option for sensitive data.
Just do not forget to make sure that you’re  backing up.

Agreed - personal backups are essential if using the Local Notebook feature

>>I’ve created a backup session on Acronis, that runs a full copy of the EN database folder every day. ...at least one full copy (non incremental) ...

Mac Time Machine; hourly backups for the past 24 hours, daily backups for the past month, and weekly backups for everything older than a month (incremental)

8 hours ago, CalS said:

... export the  two notebooks to ENEX ...

Restoring from a .enex backup loses the notebook and note-id*
This can be avoiding by using a raw database backup

maintaining note-id is required for note links

• Level 5

I’ve created a backup session on Acronis, that runs a full copy of the EN database folder every day. 

So I can easily follow the golden 3-2-1 rule of backing up:

• 3 copies of all data
  • 2 on different data carriers
  • 1 off-site, not connected to the network/computer

And because of that crypto-ransom-stuff it is advisable to hold at least one full copy (non incremental) for longer than the malware takes to come out. In this regard EN is pretty save because of the copy in the cloud. But local Notebooks are in danger, as everything else.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, DTLow said:

Restoring from a .enex backup loses the notebook and note-id*
This can be avoiding by using a raw database backup

maintaining note-id is required for note links

Notebook is not lost if you export by Notebook.  Notebook links are lost for local notes, not so much synced notes.  I have made it a habit to have the link be the same as the note title.  Then if a link is broken I can simply find it via a search.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, CalS said:

I have made it a habit to have the link be the same as the note title.  Then if a link is broken I can simply find it via a search.

I do this too.  Over the years I've had links occasionally break for reasons that I've never figured out.  As long as I keep the link the same as the note title, it is easy to just search for it and then recreate the link.  This used to bother me, but now if I find a broken link, I just do a search on the note title, recreate the link and move on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 6/21/2019 at 3:01 PM, CalS said:

I have made it a habit to have the link be the same as the note title.  Then if a link is broken I can simply find it via a search.

On 6/21/2019 at 8:01 PM, s2sailor said:

I do this too.  Over the years I've had links occasionally break for reasons that I've never figured out.  As long as I keep the link the same as the note title, it is easy to just search for it and then recreate the link.  This used to bother me, but now if I find a broken link, I just do a search on the note title, recreate the link and move on.

Re: Fixing broken note links

Note title search doesn't always work for me; 
I use a generic title standard for my notes; <date> <type> <keywords> [description]
and it doesn't really work as a link name in all situations.
I'm often changing the link name to fit the circumstances

My solution is to append a copy of the metadata to the bottom of the note, including the in-app link (note id)
This can be acccessed in searches, and carries forwarded for merged notes, and backup (html export)122004335_ScreenShot2019-06-23at09_20_21.png.fc70df4cf7998fc2d8124d85fc532ff8.png

• Level 5

IMHO the question is where to the link will lead.

• EN-internal: Can be retrieved when knowing enough keywords to go through search.
  • Local Computer, own network: Depends on its organization, and whether the files are indexed or not. Here often knowing the files title is the key.
  • Weblinks: Unreliable, so if it is important, clip the whole thing. Otherwise you have to rely on Google et al, which is of no help if the target was removed or significantly altered meanwhile.

In general, because link errors will accumulate over time, it is a balance between spending a lot of time NOW on how to build a backup strategy to a broken link, or invest some time for a search in the future. Even if the link is broken, the note containing it will usually tell enough to search & find, so I am not investing a lot of effort to make linking waterproof.

• Level 5*

For me, the link error occurs very infrequently and so far I have always been able to search and find the original note to recreate the link, so I don't intend on spending any additional effort to safe guard.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

For me, the link error occurs very infrequently and so far I have always been able to search and find the original note to recreate the link, so I don't intend on spending any additional effort to safe guard.

Yup.  Not that hard to search using the link name.  I already have a PE hotkey to search for highlighted text EN.

• 11 months later...

Surprised nobody has mentioned the use of larger monitors. Like others, I started wearing glasses (58 now) a few years back for reading. But, the biggest improvement for me is that I bought a cheap 24" monitor a few years back on Black Friday. Since then, I have a 28" and another 24". So useful and so easy on the eyes. And when the Black Friday, or Prime days, or Boxing day sales roll thru - they are very affordable.

Amazon Prime days are delayed this year but are expected in August from what I'm reading (on my big monitors!).

W.

• Level 5

Big monitors are nice, but be aware that bigger is not necessarily nicer. It depends on the distance to the screen what viewing angle you have.

If your desk is not very deep, probably 27"/28" is the maximum. Especially with a Mac, because the menu ribbon is fixed on top of the screen. If you have a deeper desk, 32"/34" may be o.k., but with a bigger viewing distance.

If one wants to spare the money and space, there are these superwide bent monitors that let you have the space of 2 or more screen on one continuous display.

• Level 5*

One of our famous authors had a view on this...  Why do you have 6 monitors?

IMG_1554(1).jpg

……Someone asked the author Terry Pratchett. His reply: “Because I don’t have enough space for eight”.

• Haha 2