HELPER

bobzani

• Level 5*

Is this a Mac discussion?

The Mac helper app features include a screen capture instead of a web page capture.

The Mac data is updated directly, then sync'd to the web; the WC updates the web, then syncs to the Mac.

There's some documentation at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005067-How-to-use-Evernote-Helper-for-quick-notes-and-screenshots

• Level 5
14 hours ago, bobzani said:

I just learned about the "Evernote Helper." It appears to me that it does the same job as the Web Clipper. Am I wrong or does it have functionality the WC doesn't?

Where did you learn about this? I checked the Evernote Help & Learning Center, and indeed there is an article on Evernote Helper. It begins,

Evernote for Mac and Windows both come installed with a companion app called Evernote Helper which can be found by clicking the Evernote icon in your menu bar (Mac) or right-clicking the Evernote icon in your system tray (Windows). Evernote Helper lets you create quick notes whether or not Evernote is open and running on your computer.

When I right-click the Evernote icon in the Windows system tray, there is no Evernote Helper in the resultant popup menu. However, there are functions listed on that menu that correspond to what the article says that Evernote Helper will do. Even when the Evernote program interface is closed (by clicking the red X-box at top right of the window, not by File > Exit), the Evernote icon (now a nearly invisible white elephant outline) is in the system tray, and right-clicking it does give access to those functions, including the Web Clipper ("Clip Screenshot" in the menu).

So: I think the icon in the system tray is "Evernote Helper"; and I think it is simply another way to start the Web Clipper (among other things), not a separate program with extra functionalities. Thanks for raising this, @bobzani. I wasn't aware of the terminology "Evernote Helper," and I'm not sure whether it is more helpful (heh) or confusing. But now I know it exists.

• Level 5*

I don't know where you got the name "Evernote Helper"; where did you "learn about" it?. That's just the standard Evernote application pinned onto your taskbar. It does not do the same thing as the Evernote web clipper. It does allow you to perform several Evernote operations, including invoking the Evernote screen clipper.

• Level 5*

OK, never heard this called "Evernote Helper", but it's been around for years. Again, it does not have the same functionality of the web clipper, which is just used to clip content from web pages from your web browser. The Evernote Helper provides keyboard shortcuts to do a number of useful Evernote things, including an Evernote note search, creating new Evernote notes, and the very useful screen clipper.

Archived