3 Things Templates Need - Immediately

BigBug

Idea

I've been an Evernote power user for years, and recently decided to try the new Templates feature.

I was excited at first, but then discovered three key issue that are going to revert me back to using a "Templates" notebook and simply duplicating notes to use as templates. These three things are as follows (And yes, I'm sure all three of these things have been discussed already, but they still bear repeating):

• No Title. This one seems like a no-brainer. I like to have a sample title included that I can simply update/tweak (i.e., so it ensures it follows the same format as previous notes built from the template). Why on earth doesn't it include the title with the note? Not a major show-stopper, but very annoying issue.
  • No Tags. Really? REALLY!? I was extremely surprised to find that one of the most powerful things a note can contain (i.e., tags) aren't included in templates. This is a major missing feature and is nearly a show-stopper for me.
  • No Attachments. Again, I was surprised that a template can't have an attachment. For instance, I use a templated note for travel expenses, and I include a small Excel file as an attachment. This Excel file is used for me to collect information, and then gets forwarded to our business admin people for processing. Why can't I include attachments in a template?

Thanks in advance for considering these feature requests.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Confirmed; the templates feature does not preserve title, tags, attachments.

My work-around is to have a collection of template notes and use the duplicate note function.

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Confirmed; the templates feature does not preserve title, tags, attachments.

My work-around is to have a collection of template notes and use the duplicate note function.

Yes, this is what I'm going to continue doing, too, unless/until Evernote adds Title, Tags, and Attachments. Templates are a great idea, but lacking these vital features, they're not useful to me in their current condition.

1 hour ago, CalS said:

I use the double click an ENEX from the desktop method as a workaround.  A generic table note works fine with templates.  All the other data has to be added anyway.

I'll look into the double-click method, but I have to disagree that all the other data has to be added anyway. I shouldn't have to add the same tags to templated notes, nor should I have to add the same attachments. The title thing is just annoying; yes, I have to edit an existing title, but having the title templated itself ensures all titles follow the exact same format. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, BigBug said:

but I have to disagree that all the other data has to be added anyway.

Saying title and tags have to be added to a generic table note in my use case.  Each table has a different purpose hence a different title and tag set.  Not like my phone log template where the title always starts Phone Log - and there is always a !Phone tag.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, DTLow said:

I don't consider it to be a workaround, as I use this method well before the template system available, not to mention the fact that you can copy/duplicate a note with tags, titles and attachments intact, unlike template notes. Seems pretty easy to me.

As a way of getting nicely designed note templates, sure, that's great, though my needs are simple. But once I have one, I can have many copies easily without using the template system again.

Beyond that, the .enex thingie? Not really sure why that's any simpler than copy/duplicate. Probably missing something there...

Archived