Backing up Evernote notes

Hello! I'd like to back-up my Evernote notes and was surprised to find there was an option for backing up an entire notebook, in Evernote's Windows application. However, after making it I was disappointed: the back-up doesn't save the dates. Is there another way to back-up Evernote notes while preserving the created dates, or can it be added in an update?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, 607 said:

Hello! I'd like to back-up my Evernote notes and was surprised to find there was an option for backing up an entire notebook, in Evernote's Windows application. However, after making it I was disappointed: the back-up doesn't save the dates. Is there another way to back-up Evernote notes while preserving the created dates, or can it be added in an update?

The dates are preserved.  What makes you think the dates aren't being backed up?

16 hours ago, CalS said:

The dates are preserved.  What makes you think the dates aren't being backed up?

Hm... I don't see it anywhere. What format did you choose? Html files?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, 607 said:

Hm... I don't see it anywhere. What format did you choose? Html files?

I'm seeing dates preserved in Evernote exports.2033380715_ScreenShot2019-01-29at04_24_12.png.fff46d395e4fbedcdf9cca02667e0d74.png

Here's a screenshot from my Mac showing a note and the dates.
When I import the note from a .enex export, the same dates are preserved.

Looking at the export files, I can see the dates are preserved 

enex format
1526239304_ScreenShot2019-01-29at07_15_37.png.80abaad931e37e06fec7b83fd2189d33.png

html format
1230622911_ScreenShot2019-01-29at04_30_36.png.7dfcecfea0bff14b0ba13dab448808be.png

On 1/29/2019 at 6:29 PM, CalS said:

I use the ENEX format for backup.  Where are you looking for the dates?

I picked the option "multiple html files".

I tried "Enex" now, but that doesn't seem usable outside of Evernote, while I'd like to stop using Evernote, but still want to be able to access my diary.

I'll try the remaining two options now. Single html file doesn't include any dates, like multiple html files.

The mht option looks the same as single html file, so it also doesn't include dates. :/

On 1/29/2019 at 1:27 PM, DTLow said:

html format
1230622911_ScreenShot2019-01-29at04_30_36.png.7dfcecfea0bff14b0ba13dab448808be.png

Huh. Maybe that's only for the Mac version? If I'd need the premium subscription, let me know. I wouldn't mind paying money a single time to get my notes in a useful format.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, 607 said:

Huh. Maybe that's only for the Mac version? If I'd need the premium subscription, let me know. I wouldn't mind paying money a single time to get my notes in a useful format.

Using the Export as a single HTML file option and you get this with Windows EN.

ScreenClip.png.b77ef981d0865f8b10a496e6ab6a7420.png

17 hours ago, eric99 said:

My "multiple html files"  do contain creation and update timestamp. I use the latest evernote for windows. Please check the export options when starting the backup process...

Ah, yes, I just found this myself too! There's an 'options' button to the left of the 'Export' and 'Cancel' buttons. :) That's it, then! Thanks for the help! I can even search through notes from Windows Explorer!

On 1/31/2019 at 1:12 PM, 607 said:

Ah, yes, I just found this myself too! There's an 'options' button to the left of the 'Export' and 'Cancel' buttons. :) That's it, then! Thanks for the help! I can even search through notes from Windows Explorer!

Exactly, for me the HTLM export is a perfect backup: it is searchable from Windows Explorer, Agent Ransack etc and it is a web standard that will still be readable for the next 100 years.

That is the reason that I stick with evernote, there is no need to look for other tools because my data is safe whatever happens...

Archived