Recover deleted files that are NOT in the Recycle Bin

ivano.stellato@gmail.com

Idea

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I'm guessing Recycle Bin = Trash

You didn't indicate a device/platforms
Macs have a Purgatory folder holding expunged notes for a period.

Other than that, the only other solution is personal data backups.

Hi. I have the same problem and I opened purgatory to find the note. there's a content-pre-sync.enml file which i think will work for me but how can open the enml extension ? tried with text editor and it opens a lot of code making the note unreadable... 

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, omscc said:

Hi. I have the same problem and I opened purgatory to find the note. there's a content-pre-sync.enml file which i think will work for me but how can open the enml extension ? tried with text editor and it opens a lot of code making the note unreadable... 

ENML is an XHTML variant, so text yes, but not necessarily very human-readable.

It is possible to sign up for a premium account temporarily for the purpose of accessing your Note History (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313858-How-to-use-note-history-to-view-older-versions-of-a-note), though I've never done it. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, omscc said:

Rename to .html and open with a browser app

This works for simple notes

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Rename to .html and open with a browser app

This works for simple notes

Not sure if .enml is the same as the .enex files we have on Windows, but that does kinda sorta work. Embedded images in the note, not so much (to your reference to 'simple notes', I guess)...

• Level 5*
On 2/17/2019 at 3:15 PM, l.eichler@corwik.com said:

I use the online version and I was typing away and then out of no where the entire contents of a Note were deleted. I tried using control - Z. The note itself was not deleted just the content thus, I don't see it in the trash bin. How do I restore the lost content?

Hi.  That's happened to me typing here from time to time - it's not a specific Evernote issue,  more a function of the limitations of typing into a browser window.  Unlike here,  where at least some of what you're typing is captured as you type,  Evernote are still developing the web interface so there's no safety net at all.  Best advice is to type in an app that saves to your local device so the content can't be lost,  then copy/ paste to the note body when you're mostly done.  And/ or attach the output file - TXT / DOCX etc - to the note for more editing later.

Archived