One-click web page caching across Evernote, Instapaper and Pinboard?

Felciano

Hi --

As part of my new year's resolution(s), I'm trying to fix a longstanding problem I've been struggling with for web-based research. Over the years I've become a regular user of Evernote, Instapaper, Pinboard, and a few other similar sites, but have not used them consistently. As a result, I have some content in one service, some in another, etc. I'd like to streamline this so that I have all my content in all the services I'm paying for and are using for specific purposes. What I'm particularly looking for is a way to automate this, so that I don't have to save everything into 3 places every time.

What I would like is a simple solution for marking a page as "save this for me", and have it be saved in Evernote with content, bookmarked in Pinboard, and optionally in Instapaper (e.g. if during the saving process I tag it with "read-later" or some such). The challenge I've run into is figuring out how to use IFTTT, Zapier or any of these other tools to tell Evernote to grab and cache the web content. I've only figured out how to do that with the bookmarklet (desktop/browser) or mobile share sheets (iOS).

The closest I've found is a IFTTT recipe called "When adding Pinboard item, save to Instapaper and Evernote", which would let me use Pinboard as the initial capture mechanism and then add that content to EN and Instapaper as well, but the EN side of the equation only captures a URL, not the page content itself. I can't find an EN "action" to tell it to then cache the page content. Similarly, I cannot find an EN "trigger" to kick in anytime someone saves a web page to EN directly, nor does there seem to be a way to retrieve the URL field from an EN note via IFTTT or Zapier, so I'm not sure going the reverse direction would work either.

There are many recipes and productivity pages out there talking about how to sync links across these various services, but I haven't found any solution to the ability to store web research results/page content across multiple services that offer this content caching.

Any suggestions on how to tackle this using 2019 tech/automation?

Thanks,

Ramon

• Level 5*

Hi.  Nothing constructive from me I'm afraid - if I were in this situation I'd concentrate on just using one service to hold all information;  splitting it three ways does give you a backup,  but it adds a lot of complications...

Archived