Please stop changing default clip filing in updates

msucorey

Idea

Speaking as a GTD-er here (and an Evernote user for about a decade), I never want anything to go anywhere other than 'unfiled' unless I tag/file right there.  I do my tagging and filing in my weekly review.

Every few months, as a result of some update, I have to go in and change this setting back to 'unfiled' on one of the machines or browsers I use.

You're killing me, man, stop it.

Please remember a lot of Evernote users practice GTD and while it might seem like a good idea to funnel users into 'Smart Filing' or whatever, that should be a positive action opt-in required thing.

I need to be able to trust my system and when I do my weekly review I need to see all my 'loose notes'.  For the time being, I've just updated my weekly review to check 'most recent' in all notebooks to find anything that inadvertently landed there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 replies to this idea

Amen! Anything called "Smart" inevitably isn't. Every Evernote update I forget to check the new default settings, and every update Evernote files away my notes so intelligently that I probably will never see them again. When I clear out my Inbox, I eventually notice a note is missing, and then I gnash my teeth. All I want is my clippings to land in my Inbox and I will handle it from there. Why is this so difficult for Evernote?

Good point. Yesterday, this happened in Mac OS 10.12.6 using the web clipper for Safari 12.0.3. Possibly the same problem has happened using screen clipper, and with the web clipper and Firefox/Chrome. I'll make notes when the problem happens again to see how widespread it is.

I wonder if my preferences and EN password for web clipper are stored like a web cookie, such that clearing cookies clears out my filing preferences?

I loose some many notes/we clips to smart filing. I always want them in my un-filed  folder. Inevitably every couple months Evernote has "helped" me by auto enabling smart filing. I wish my web clipper preferences would honored, not changed and auto setup when I log in on a new browsers.  I can't believe we are struggling with such fundamental broken behavior in the web clipper 3 years after the initial report. 

• Level 5

No idea who toggles it on in your case. Mine is off, and it never developed a half life by switching itself on.

What sometimes has happened to me is that I had picked a different notebook, and forgot to reset it. This selection will stick when you open web clipper again.

Easy to see all recent notes, just open the all notes view. Nothing gets lost, smart filing or not.