Image Disappears after Annotating

I inserted an image into a Note. I then annotated that image. I can see the image with the annotations in the preview column. I cannot see the image in the column on the right if I click on it OR if I open the Note into a new window. This is on the Windows version of EN. Same thing happens on the web version.

Just searched for a word that appears in my annotation (but not the note or image) and the search returned the Note as having that word found within it.

This has happened to be 2x this week. I have an update to install. Will try that now.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, jpa2825 said:

I inserted an image into a Note. I then annotated that image. I can see the image with the annotations in the preview column. I cannot see the image in the column on the right if I click on it OR if I open the Note into a new window. This is on the Windows version of EN. Same thing happens on the web version.

Just searched for a word that appears in my annotation (but not the note or image) and the search returned the Note as having that word found within it.

This has happened to be 2x this week. I have an update to install. Will try that now.

I think the update is supposed to fix the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

This happened to me today either, that is, I had a note with an image within this note and this image was automatically deleted when I annotated it using the Evernote image annotation tool.

It feels like there is some bug in this image annotation tool that deletes the annotated image instead of updating it. Other people have been complaining of this same issue regarding PDFs.

My search also shows me that this bug is old and is present in many older versions of Evernote (at least the Windows desktop app), considering the dates of the posts regarding this bug in these forums. So I don't think this will be fixed in the upcoming updates: this bug has become an Evernote characteristic rather than a bug. This bug is part of Evernote and is bound to it just as is its logo. This bug has been adopted by the development team and has been cheerfully passed on to the subsequent versions, resisting updates and customer complaints. It has acquired a cultural status among the developers and the recurrent complaints of the customers appears only to straighten the will of the developers to disseminate this bug to the new versions. This bug is now a sacred entity and each customer whose data is lost thanks to this bug is seen as an expected and necessary sacrifice to the the bug god. To even consider the possibility of fixing this bug is both unlikely and taboo. The development team would rather burn down every Evernote servers and facilities before they'd even consider fixing the Bug.

The best you can do as a customer is to avoid using the picture annotation tool. If you do this, you'll still be able to enjoy all the other features that make Evernote the best personal note taking application.

@CalS  

I have updated to version 6.17.5.8273 (3082773) Public (CE Build ce-62.1.7539). From this point onward, the annotation images seem to stay as expected. 

BUT, the previous disappear annotated images are still missing. The missing images still have the thumbnail image, but nothing shows inside the actual note. The status bar indicates the images exit with the number of images. The size also reflects the size of the note with images. How do I make this disappear images back? 

Thanks. 

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, JenT said:

BUT, the previous disappear annotated images are still missing. The missing images still have the thumbnail image, but nothing shows inside the actual note. The status bar indicates the images exit with the number of images. The size also reflects the size of the note with images. How do I make this disappear images back? 

May or may not work.  Right click in the body of the note and see if you can click on Save Attachments...  This has recovered "invisible" attachments for me in the past, just don't know in this instance.

28 minutes ago, CalS said:

May or may not work.  Right click in the body of the note and see if you can click on Save Attachments...  This has recovered "invisible" attachments for me in the past, just don't know in this instance.

This works! Thanks, @CalS !

Em 22/01/2019 at 17:10, JenT disse:

@Gus SN

I love the picture annotation tool. It's very clean and handy. Do you recommend any other tools that will do the jobs as streamline as the built-in annotation tool?

Sadly there are no other tools that could be used to do this within an Evernote note.

You can open the picture in another application (like MS Paint or GIMP) and make your annotations, then save it on the note again. It's safer but not faster.

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, Gus SN said:

Hello. I'm using 6.17.5.8273 (308273) Public (CE Build ce-62.1.7539)

Pending the bug getting fixed, the only thing I can think of is to sync and verify a history entry before doing any annotating.  That way at least you should be able to recover the document should something go awry.

Archived