Cannot edit boundaries of scanned image

When scanning a sheet of paper, on iOS there is the option to manually specify the boundaries of the image. This is useful in case Evernote does not correctly recognizes the shape of the paper. However, on Android I don't see such an option. Is this by design or am I just not seeing how to enter the edit mode?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi. If you are adding a 'scan' with the document camera on manual,  tap the thumbnail image immediately after taking the shot(s) to get a choice of saving the image(s) as photo / document / color document / post-it / business card.  The icon at the top right of the screen selects between 'auto' when the camera detects the boundaries and 'manual' when you have more control over framing.  In both cases you have the same choices if you tap the thumbnail.

Where image boundaries are being detected badly,  the best option (IMHO) is to choose a manual shot and save as a picture,  when you can edit it later in the note to correct the boundaries.  If you save as a document,  you can "annotate" the document within the note to crop it.  In both cases it's a straight-lines crop - squares or rectangles only,  no distortion corrective angles.

Adobe Scan and MS Office Lens do autocorrect for distortions and both seem (again, MHO) to have better border and format recognition.

YMMV.

Hi gazumped and thanks for the reply.

The icon at the top right of the screen selects between 'auto' when the camera detects the boundaries and 'manual' when you have more control over framing. 

I cannot test this solution, because I did the follwoing:

• took a photo;
  • in top right corner tapped on the three dots;
  • a menu with several iteams appeared. The first option was called Multishot or something similar.
  • I deselected this option and began using the normal camera.

Now I don't have the three dots in the upper right corner anymore, as when I enter camera mode, I enter the native camera app and not the one from Evernote.

• 4 months later...

+1 -- I'm finding this an issue too.

For example, if I take a photo of a magazine page where I only want to save a rectangular area for a certain article or advert. There isn't a way to crop the image immediately before saving it back to the note, which to me seems like missing functionality.

As @gazumped points out, you can then 'Annotate' each image once it's in the note to crop it to a simple rectangle, but having to make a second pass of the images seems like a slow workaround.

If a crop tool could be included at the camera stage that would be very helpful and speed up the capture. Ideally, you'd be able to set the point at each corner, but I'd take a simple rectangular crop for now.

• Level 5*

Another option you're probably going to hate is to have two L-shape sheets of paper handy.  These would make a resizeable contrasting frame around anything from a small icon to a half-page which the document-detection feature would take as suffciently edge-like to autocrop down to that margin.  Depending on the material you're clipping,  you might need light or dark paper for the edging,  but it does work... 

There are several tools out there besides Evernote for copying and perspective-correcting (not Evernote) document images,  but I don't think anyone has yet cracked resizeable cropping on a mobile device screen.

Thanks for the suggestion. I can see how that would work - but it's not really convenient to have two L shaped bits of paper around all the time.

I do use Microsoft Lens and the Scan option in Google Drive quite regularly, but the advantage of snapping something out of a magazine directly in Evernote is that it does in as an image rather than a PDF, so the content appears inline on all platforms. Rather than a PDF that often needs to be opened in another application.

I can live in hope!

• Haha 1
  • 3 months later...

Why would this go backwards?  I stopped using 3rd party apps to do this because Evernote was so good at it.  Also, it is a pain if you are snapping a picture and then writing some notes related and then doing another document.  That does not work well when using 3rd party apps.

• Level 5*
On 9/16/2019 at 8:58 PM, bereanmh said:

Why would this go backwards?  I stopped using 3rd party apps to do this because Evernote was so good at it.  Also, it is a pain if you are snapping a picture and then writing some notes related and then doing another document.  That does not work well when using 3rd party apps.

Actually I thought today that the automatic cropping was really good in Android.  I snapped an image of a box propped on my laptop partially on what I can only describe as a polka-dotted cloth.  It wasn't meant as a test - I just chose 'color document' as the saving option and both the laptop edge and cloth completely disappeared.  I was surprised!