Make Evernote-for-Windows Note-Tagging Consistent with Web-Clipper!

RavBoy

Idea

I'm using EN-for-Windows, version 6.16.4.8094 (308094) Public (CE Build ce-58.1.6897).

When using EN Web Clipper in Google Chrome on Windows PC, It's easy to find an existing Tag (or Notebook) to add to a new clipping/note.  Just start entering some letters/characters and EN Clipper shows/suggests Tags where those letters appear, regardless if the letters appear at the beginning (prefix), middle (infix) or end of the Tag.

BUT, in En-for-Windows when I go to add a new Tag to a Newly created or Existing Note (in the Tag-Field, above the Note-Body), this same functionality is NOT provided.  EN only shows Tags where the letters entered appear at the beginning or prefix... which would be okay if I used just single word Tags, but in my case I tend to use multi-word Tags e.g. Evernote/Tags/iPad

So if I entered 'ipa' into the web clipper, looking for the above Tag, EN-Clipper would show/suggest the above Tag that could then be chosen... but not so on EN-for-Windows... at least AFAIK?  Attached images shows the difference.

This seems really strange that EN don't provide the same function on the main App but it's available on the Clipper...or perhaps I'm missing something or not using it right

Anyone else see or experience this, or know how to fix/workarounds etc? 

1.jpg

2.jpg

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  I can imagine entering long tags is a pain,  and I'm sure that it's not that efficient - having an 'iPad' tag separate from a 'Hardware' tag would make for simpler and possibly more accurate searches.  I do use multiple tags,  but I also use a property of the tag field (including the Clipper tag field) where a string entered as "Evernote,Tags,iPad" - with the tags delimited by commas - will split into those three individual tags when I hit return.

I was keeping my multiple tags in a note,  so I could find,  copy and paste any series' that I used a lot,  but then I found that a text expander like Phrase Express can expand a simple code - like +T1 - into a longer selection like Evernote,Tags,iPad.

If you prefer to continue with your system,  you might try collapsing the left panel and using the drop-down menus from the icons.  The search feature there seems partly to do what you require in that if I have a two separate word tag like "Evernote Tags" it will correctly find the search term as a separate word - where the note-based search will not - but if you close the space with another character (Evernote/Tags) it will not.

There's a hotkey option to open a tag search window too,  but I can't test that - it doesn't currently seem to be working for me...  Hmnn.  Might be another app hijacking that combo.

ScreenClip.png.b9175dea4fd88bf24f907841bfb363a2.png

Caveat: my Evernote version is the current beta.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, RavBoy said:

Anyone else see or experience this, or know how to fix/workarounds etc?

I know of no workarounds for what you are seeking. Sounds like a feature request to me. If you want me to move this topic to a feature request forum, I can do that.

8 hours ago, gazumped said:

I can imagine entering long tags is a pain, 

Hi Gazumed...I know in advance the Tag I want to add, and in the case of my multi-word Evernote Tags, (I have 60)...I normally just type 'eve' in to the tag field then use the scroll bar to find the tag to add...

having an 'iPad' tag separate from a 'Hardware' tag would make for simpler and possibly more accurate searches

Think this just comes down to what you know v what you don't, and past decisions made based on this.  But I do want a clean/organised Tag-View Screen... again I'm a very visual, OCD, hierarchical person.  But always willing to change. e.g an image you shared on a post the other day re using List-View (with date clums 1st) ...well I now went from snippet view to List view...with 'Title' being the only column visible, I was like "why do i need thumbnails", BIG improvement. 

I also use a property of the tag field (including the Clipper tag field) where a string entered as "Evernote,Tags,iPad" - with the tags delimited by commas - will split into those three individual tags when I hit return.

Great Tip... and added to my source info repository on EN Tags, cheers

you might try collapsing the left panel and using the drop-down menus from the icons.  The search feature there seems partly to do what you require

Dabbled with this before, but couldn't get across the line, so i tried it again just now and yeah you're right it works great, now adopted, cheers.  Shame I can't drag a Tag from the picker box straight to the note as I can with normal Tags displayed in Left Panel

There's a hotkey option to open a tag search window too

Another nugget, cheers... yeah Alt F2 worked...awesome

8 hours ago, jefito said:

I know of no workarounds for what you are seeking. Sounds like a feature request to me. If you want me to move this topic to a feature request forum, I can do that.

Hey Jefito, yes please do mate, cheers

3 hours ago, CalS said:

Per @jefito. no way to do this of which I am aware.  Funny thing is the the option does exist for tag filtering but not for tag assigning.

So maybe the 'Priorities for 2019' message from the new CEO, on the EN Blog, re making all things "more coherent, more consistent across platforms" will result in this tiny thing added to the list.

Thank you all

WORKAROUND FOUND!!!  😀

On 1/7/2019 at 10:50 AM, RavBoy said:
On 1/7/2019 at 3:23 AM, gazumped said:

you might try collapsing the left panel and using the drop-down menus from the icons.  The search feature there seems partly to do what you require

Dabbled with this before, but couldn't get across the line, so i tried it again just now and yeah you're right it works great, now adopted, cheers.  Shame I can't drag a Tag from the picker box straight to the note as I can with normal Tags displayed in Left Panel

YOU CAN DRAG THE TAG FROM THE TAG PICKER/SEARCH BOX THINGY (OR TAG LIST IN LEFT PANEL)!  AND YES THE LEFT-PANEL SEARCH FEATURE DOES LOOK FOR THE CHARACTERS ANYWHERE IN THE TAG-LABEL - UNLIKE THE PREFIX ONLY SEARCH IN THE TAG FIELD ABOVE THE NOTE-BODY

You just have to drag the Tag to the Notes Tag-Field - NOT - the Note-Body, yippee.

So solution is:

IF - LEFT PANEL EXPANDED

1. ALT+F2 -or- Click Magnifying Glass icon next to 'Tags' menu option - to open search box
  2. Find Tag (search using a few characters, or can scroll through list)
  3. Left Click the Tag, while holding down left-mouse button drag to the Note Tag-Field

IF - LEFT PANEL COLLAPSED (EASIEST IMHO)

1. ALT+F2 -or- just click Tag icon
  3. Left Click the Tag, while holding down left-mouse button drag to the Note Tag-Field

-OR- even simpler Just do a CTRL+Q from anywhere/anytime and presto... thanks @gustavgi

• Level 5*
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 3:11 AM, RavBoy said:

WORKAROUND FOUND!!!  😀

YOU CAN DRAG THE TAG FROM THE TAG PICKER/SEARCH BOX THINGY (OR TAG LIST IN LEFT PANEL)!  AND YES THE LEFT-PANEL SEARCH FEATURE DOES LOOK FOR THE CHARACTERS ANYWHERE IN THE TAG-LABEL - UNLIKE THE PREFIX ONLY SEARCH IN THE TAG FIELD ABOVE THE NOTE-BODY

You just have to drag the Tag to the Notes Tag-Field - NOT - the Note-Body, yippee.

So solution is:

IF - LEFT PANEL EXPANDED

1. ALT+F2 -or- Click Magnifying Glass icon next to 'Tags' menu option - to open search box

IF - LEFT PANEL COLLAPSED (EASIEST IMHO)

1. ALT+F2 -or- just click Tag icon

I use Ctrl+Q instead of Alt+F2. That works in single window note view as well

Archived